Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 AM

466 posts, read 815,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
$6/hour for a babysitter? Good luck with that in most major American cities. Again, some of you are lucky to live in lower-cost locations!

It's tough enough to find any teenager to babysit these days, as so many have so many other planned activities to attend. In many cities the era of the affordable teenage babysitter down the block has long passed. Where we've lived babysitters usually charge well above minimum wage.
Exactly. We have several friends with children, mostly under 3, and no one has a teenage baby-sitter on retainer. They really aren't all that common, at least from what I can see. I know a couple of people who have used college students on occasion, and they are charging $10 to $12 an hour. If you're gone for 3.5 or 4 hours for dinner and maybe grab some coffee, yes, you are easily looking at $100 a night.

We've tried to trade off with other parents, but then their kid gets sick or a parent gets sick and plans are off. My parents have actually driven down two hours a few times this year to sit with my 12-month-old so DH and I can go out. Plus, at this age, he's pretty picky who he will stay. So, most of the time, DH and I go out separately with our friends. And there is certainly no "child worship" in our household.

ETA: To the OP, I know you are annoyed. DH and I were together for years and people were always asking when we were having kids. We had planned, too, but just were not sure when. But I do think people mean it generally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
Yes, $100. $12 an hour for a babysitter - that is the going rate for teens in our area - times 3.5 hours comes to $42. Then $16.95 a ticket for the movie plus tax is about $35. Popcorn and soda, about $16. Total, $93. Factor in the gas plus snacks for the sitter, and it's easily a $100.

Our matinee movies are $12.95, so that would save $8 I guess. I guess a shorter movie would shave off a few bucks as well. Dollar movies theaters? Not around here.

But I'm not trying to argue here, just stating the fact that many couples with children really can't afford a sitter and movie once a week.

What theater are you going to my friend because on average any place in the country i have been is 7-8 bucks . And what teen charges 12 dollars an hour to sit? I think this must be your area because those prices are not indicative of the rest of the country my friend.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
$6/hour for a babysitter? Good luck with that in most major American cities. Again, some of you are lucky to live in lower-cost locations!

It's tough enough to find any teenager to babysit these days, as so many have so many other planned activities to attend. In many cities the era of the affordable teenage babysitter down the block has long passed. Where we've lived babysitters usually charge well above minimum wage.

We, too, might get the 11 year old down the block to watch our son for $8 (if she's not busy with one of her many activities or doesn't have too much homework.) Anyone in high school or above, though? Not a chance.
Just advertise int he paper or craiglist that always worked for us. Believe me there is always some kid willing to work for 6 to 8 dollars an hour. Or use http://www.babysitters4hire.com/.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
It's probably not intentional on their part, although I do agree that it's highly annoying. I agree that it might just be that they're feeling defensive or feeling judged. We have one child, and sometimes people say things like "wait until you have two!" That's annoying, too, but I try not to take it personally. I don't think they're spending any time thinking about your situation, personally, and I'd take the "wait until YOU have kids" to be more of a general you rather than you specifically.

And to the poster who talked about dollar movies and cheap movie nights out: count yourself lucky that you live somewhere cheap, then! That has definitely not been the case where we've lived. It would be very easy to blow $100 on a night (or even afternoon) out at the movies in many American cities. That's why we don't go to the movies these days! (and we definitely don't engage in "child worship" or have interests that revolve solely around our kid)
You can always look around your area for competing prices and you might have to drive a little out there. But one does not have to spend money on a date like i said .

Old 12-06-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
We'd barely make it out the door without it costing us at least that much. $6 an hour? Never. Maybe we could find an 11 year old that would do it for a minimum of $8? Believe me, even that would be a stretch.

Put an ad in the paper advertising what you are looking for. And you can use Welcome to Babysitters4hire.com, Connecting you with Babysitters in your area and filter in the prices...and there are plenty in major cities going for between 5-10 dollars an hour.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 AM

613 posts, read 991,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Put an ad in the paper advertising what you are looking for. And you can use Welcome to Babysitters4hire.com, Connecting you with Babysitters in your area and filter in the prices...and there are plenty in major cities going for between 5-10 dollars an hour.
Thanks for the website. Should I somehow be able to afford the rates, I might actually use the site. However, I quickly looked at the bio of every sitter in my area on the first page, and the majority had rates of $10 to $20 an hour. A few listed rates of $8 to $12, $7 to $15, though I imagine the lower rate is commensurate with the number of children. Since I have two, I doubt the rate of $7 or $8 applies to me.

As for the movie theater prices; you are right. It's not as expensive as I stated. It's been so long since I went to the movies I was unaware they dropped their prices by almost $1.25!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the website. Should I somehow be able to afford the rates, I might actually use the site. However, I quickly looked at the bio of every sitter in my area on the first page, and the majority had rates of $10 to $20 an hour. A few listed rates of $8 to $12, $7 to $15, though I imagine the lower rate is commensurate with the number of children. Since I have two, I doubt the rate of $7 or $8 applies to me.

As for the movie theater prices; you are right. It's not as expensive as I stated. It's been so long since I went to the movies I was unaware they dropped their prices by almost $1.25!

And like i said you can do fun stuff for nothing like the park, or a museum....dates don't always have to be black tie events

Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
Wow paganmomma I cant believe how low cost your area is by me movies are $12 and 3D movies are $15, I think kids are $10 & $13 and even the youngest babysitter cannot be had for less than $10 an hour. I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER move away from my mom! I'd never be able to afford to leave the house if it wasn't for grandma!

OP, I think a few posters hit the nail on the head. They make these comments because they are feeling judged either at that point in time by you or previously during a similar situation. Or perhaps THEY were judgemental of people's interations with thier children before becoming parents.

I know I personally was, before becoming a mother if I was at the store and some kid was having a total meltdown all I would think is "sheesh lady get a grip on your kid" NOW?? If I'm at the store and some kid is having a melt down I think "thank god it's not my "turn" " and I definitely do NOT stare, seriously when your kid is having a tantrum it feels like every one is staring at you. When you are around other parents and melt down happens you feel it less because you KNOW they've been there, with childless people who are of childbearing age a quick "once you have kids..." is just a little save face defensive mechanism.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Wow paganmomma I cant believe how low cost your area is by me movies are $12 and 3D movies are $15, I think kids are $10 & $13 and even the youngest babysitter cannot be had for less than $10 an hour. I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER move away from my mom! I'd never be able to afford to leave the house if it wasn't for grandma!

OP, I think a few posters hit the nail on the head. They make these comments because they are feeling judged either at that point in time by you or previously during a similar situation. Or perhaps THEY were judgemental of people's interations with thier children before becoming parents.

I know I personally was, before becoming a mother if I was at the store and some kid was having a total meltdown all I would think is "sheesh lady get a grip on your kid" NOW?? If I'm at the store and some kid is having a melt down I think "thank god it's not my "turn" " and I definitely do NOT stare, seriously when your kid is having a tantrum it feels like every one is staring at you. When you are around other parents and melt down happens you feel it less because you KNOW they've been there, with childless people who are of childbearing age a quick "once you have kids..." is just a little save face defensive mechanism.
The average cost of a movie in america is 7.50 actually :-P. And like i said shop around because you can always find a babysitter willing to go for 5-10 dollars an hour.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,882 times
I have two teenage babysitters on retainer, and they've watched my girls for years. They both live on our street, and as long as I give them enough notice, getting them to come over is never a problem. They want the money. I didn't realize that finding sitters was such a problem in other areas of the country. Live and learn, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting