Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:10 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

Hello !

My son is 4 years old, he turns 5 in may. I want to buy him a childrens laptop for Christmas. . He has a hand held leapfrog game that he plays really well. He can spend long periods of time playing those learning games and I think he really benefits from it. Now, my question to you all is, what kind of notebook is appropriate for a 4 year old. I want one with alot of educational games in it. My son knows all his letters and can count to 20, so I don;t want to buy his anything too basic, however, he is not very careful with his belongings so I don't want to spend too much money on him either. I was thinking around 40-50 dollars at the most. Can you recommend anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 05:26 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Hello !

My son is 4 years old, he turns 5 in may. I want to buy him a childrens laptop for Christmas. . He has a hand held leapfrog game that he plays really well. He can spend long periods of time playing those learning games and I think he really benefits from it. Now, my question to you all is, what kind of notebook is appropriate for a 4 year old. I want one with alot of educational games in it. My son knows all his letters and can count to 20, so I don;t want to buy his anything too basic, however, he is not very careful with his belongings so I don't want to spend too much money on him either. I was thinking around 40-50 dollars at the most. Can you recommend anything?

I had the same dilemma, my 3.5 year old loves playing games on the internet - thomas and curious george and things like that - I was thinking of getting her a laptop because she was using my mac and I really needed her to let me get some work done - so we went this weekend and got her a 2004 imac g4 for 325 from craigslist.

It's great because it has a huge 20" display, so it's fun for dvds and the internet, and I decided on that instead of a laptop because laptops can get dropped by kids and otherwise damaged. The imac isn't going anywhere. And if something should get spilled in the keyboard you can buy another, whereas if something is spilled in a laptop it's probably toast.

Also, kids don't need the latest processing power, and if you get a cheap used one you can replace it if it dies in a couple of years. I'm not sure what you can get for 40 or 50 dollars, but if you're willing to spend a little more you could get something good used.

It's a great investment, I think kids should start using the computer as soon as possible - it's an essential skill, like reading or writing, these days.

Last edited by FinsterRufus; 12-07-2010 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: a naughty apostrophe

Old 12-07-2010, 09:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
What about a netbook? They are a little smaller, but you can get one for around $170.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
anything that can be damaged or ruined by dropping is not appropriate for a 4 year old, IMO.

As we upgrade our own computers, we give the old ones to our 8 year olds but they are not mobile. We don't want them off in their rooms looking at inappropriate sites (accidentally) . their computers are in the family room where they can ask us questions, share videos, etc and we can supervise what they watch.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:04 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times
The kids' laptops that are under $50 are really more like simple toys than laptops. It sounds like you are talking about things like the VTech toy laptops, not a kid's version of a grown-up laptop.

We found those were limited because of the software available. If you have an old real computer to pass along, an alternative is to buy educational software for it instead.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:32 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
I plan to give my daughter my old laptop when I buy myself a new one. She can sit it right next to me while I am working. Right now she has a v-tech, but she really doesn't like it because it's very obviously not the real deal (she likes to type things into a Word document and play games on pbs and Nick Jr. web sites)

Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
The kids' laptops that are under $50 are really more like simple toys than laptops. It sounds like you are talking about things like the VTech toy laptops, not a kid's version of a grown-up laptop.

We found those were limited because of the software available. If you have an old real computer to pass along, an alternative is to buy educational software for it instead.

It does sound like the OP is talking about the vtech type kid's laptops - I missed that. I agree, I think those would get one dimensional pretty quick. If you can, a real computer would be a much more sound investment. There's so many great educational websites, that I don't think you even need to buy any extra software. Learning to navigate around a real OS is great too. You won't believe how quickly they pick it up, it's amazing.

And I agree with no kudzu ... laptops have the potential to get damaged and I too have DD's computer in the family room where I can monitor it, plus she likes to involve us in the games she's playing.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I am not saying that you are this way. I have no idea, However this type of discussion always concerns me. Kids should be kids, not academic machines. This seems to be a very common trend lately. Almost a deperation to have ones child appear more "advanced" than other children. Kids are pushed to be exraordinary, but at least half of all kids must be average ror below average, or there will eb no average.

Thinking that it is important for your kid to be "advanced" and learn to read by 4 and play the violin and speak three languages is a fallacy. Those kids will be as much ahead of their peers or behind as they are going to be regardless of all of that Cr@p. They all catch up with each other eventually. However some of the kids who are pushed by super aggressive and super competitve parents end up socially defective, lacking in self esteem, or even neurotic. Let your kid be a kid and have some fun. They only have one chance to be a kid. They can be smart and advanced their whole lives (and they will get no enjoyment out of it). The "my kid is advanced" craze is about you and trying to find your own self fulfillment in thinking yourself a better parent than others.

That being said, if your kid is ready for a laptop - get him or her a real one. You can get a decent used one cheaper than those stupid leapfrog type things and those are only going to be of use to them for a few months or a year. However at that age, if you want a well adjusted kid, in my opinion it is far more important to teach them to throw a ball, jump rope, etc. the academic stuff will come quickly enough unless your kid is learning disabled. However the coordination, motor skill, love of games, sportsmanship, etc all of that is established early.

I am no expert. I have read many of the "how to raise children books" and I thin that most of them are full of BS. However I have raised 5 children, and so far, they are well adjusted great kids. I have watched and participated in the rasiing of over 100 children of church friends, relatives and other friends. I certainly can see what works and what is detrimental to kids just by observiing and applying common sense. I do get disgusted and avoid the parents who try to comete with others through their children "My kid can do _____, what can your do?" "Nice meeting you, have a nice life, I feel sorry for your child."

The Kids who listened to "Baby Mozart" every day and nore more "advanced" than the later kids who were born after we ralized that this whole "advanced baby" thing is a crock. Other examples abound. We did all of the trendy make your children better than others things with our first kids, but not withthe later ones. They are all pretty much the same advancement etc. (Although the Mozzart babies are our best singers and musicians so far, the are NOT better at math.)

This is jsut my rant, not necessarily directed at you O.P. No need tog et defensive (unless you are one of those "my kid is advanced" or "gifted" parents. Then you should not get defensive, but you should take a close look at your motives and consider allowing children to be children).

Last edited by Coldjensens; 12-08-2010 at 08:58 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 09:09 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am not saying that you are this way. I have no idea, However this type of discussion always concerns me. Kids should be kids, not academic machines. This seems to be a very common trend lately. Almost a deperation to have ones child appear more "advanced" than other children. Kids are pushed to be exraordinary, but at least half of all kids must be average ror below average, or there will eb no average.

Thinking that it is important for your kid to be "advanced" and learn to read by 4 and play the violin and speak three languages is a fallacy. Those kids will be as much ahead of their peers or behind as they are going to be regardless of all of that Cr@p. They all catch up with each other eventually. However some of the kids who are pushed by super aggressive and super competitve parents end up socially defective, lacking in self esteem, or even neurotic. Let your kid be a kid and have some fun. They only have one chance to be a kid. They can be smart and advanced their whole lives (and they will get no enjoyment out of it). The "my kid is advanced" craze is about you and trying to find your own self fulfillment in thinking yourself a better parent than others.

That being said, if your kid is ready for a laptop - get him or her a real one. You can get a decent used one cheaper than those stupid leapfrog type things and those are only going to be of use to them for a few months or a year. However at that age, if you want a well adjusted kid, in my opinion it is far more important to teach them to throw a ball, jump rope, etc. the academic stuff will come quickly enough unless your kid is learning disabled. However the coordination, motor skill, love of games, sportsmanship, etc all of that is established early.

I am no expert. I have read many of the "how to raise children books" and I thin that most of them are full of BS. However I have raised 5 children, and so far, they are well adjusted great kids. I have watched and participated in the rasiing of over 100 children of church friends, relatives and other friends. I certainly can see what works and what is detrimental to kids just by observiing and applying common sense. I do get disgusted and avoid the parents who try to comete with others through their children "My kid can do _____, what can your do?" "Nice meeting you, have a nice life, I feel sorry for your child."

The Kids who listened to "Baby Mozart" every day and nore more "advanced" than the later kids who were born after we ralized that this whole "advanced baby" thing is a crock. Other examples abound. We did all of the trendy make your children better than others things with our first kids, but not withthe later ones. They are all pretty much the same advancement etc. (Although the Mozzart babies are our best singers and musicians so far, the are NOT better at math.)

This is jsut my rant, not necessarily directed at you O.P. No need tog et defensive (unless you are one of those "my kid is advanced" or "gifted" parents. Then you should not get defensive, but you should take a close look at your motives and consider allowing children to be children).
Um, this post is strange and off topic???? If these things bother you, why not start a new thread on it?

But, I searched your post and pulled out the line on topic to address. I know my son who is 7 likes a larger screen. Notebooks are difficult because you cannot see the whole site. Unless you use negative magnification. Which is really small. I agree on getting a regular computer, search craigs list or ebay for a deal. It's a lot more money though, but it's worth it in the long run because they actually use it longer.
If you do get a note book, I hear they work pretty well now, mines older but I like it and I found cute ones for $130.00 dollars, different colors, (just google netbook, or notebook) my only complaint is how small the screens are. Hard for the little ones to navigate the page that way. Other than that, mine is great. Performs pretty well.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
Macs of G4 or G3 vintage are littered all over eBay and a basic iMac can be had for about $50. Still very useful and fairly modern - much more suitable than a laptop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting