Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I will look, but I doubt that I have the contract. I no longer have the computer that the contract was on (I gave it to my son and he took it apart and sold the parts on E-bay.).

As far as how many nannies we went through, I do not remember. It was not a long time period becuase we got fed up and my wife finally decided to stay home, I think after three years or less, it certainly was not longer than 4 years and probably less than 3. Some, like the drunk lady with multiple identities who stole the car and some checks, were only with us a few days. Another only lasted a week or so. The first one got fired. the next was with us for about four to eight months and then decided to go to fireman school and try out for olympic rowing. Two others decided to return to school full time after about a year, give or take. I cannot remember very well.

Some of the people that we interviewed were amazing. There are a lot of psychos out there working as Nannies. Quite a few of the interviewees were just obviously nuts. Several of them refused to allow the FBI background check, so we did not consider them. Some wanted to be paid more than my wife was making as an accountant for a construction company. Some were too frail to even lift one of the babies, let alone two. Some of the nannies we hired were just young gals who did not know what they wanted to do so, they took on an advanced form of babysitting to give them a place to live until they figured it out. Some were great candidates (some of whom we hired and some found better paying posisitions before we hired them). Oddly, not one of them left to be a nanny somewhere else, although we do not know what happened to the three who we had to fire. The gal with the lighter was actually a pretty good nanny. She was just not too bright. She was really pretty so I am not sure my wife liked having her around. Her freinds told her she was nuts letting a gal that pretty live in our house. (My wife is very pretty too, but apparently her friends thought that this gal was just too stunning to tolerate - I never thought she was all that hot, pretty yes, but not overwhelmingly so.).

The best nanny was from Sierra Leone. She upset my wife at first because she followed me everywhere that I went when I was home. It turned out that in Sierra Leone women do not trust men around children. In their culture, men are supposed to be watched at all times when they are around children. My wife thoguht that she had a crush on me and therefore followed me everyhere when I was a thome. It made her really mad. When that was resolved, she was perfect but for her affinity for ox tail soup. She left to go back to school, but she stayed nearby and came back for a while when we had to fire the drunk nanny.

When we ran an ad in the paper, we would get dozens of calls, we interviewed at least a half dozen people each time but only ended up with one to three viable candidates.

It was awful for my wife to have to pay someone and then come home and hear them complain about doing what she was dying to do (stay home and look after her babies). Finally we just bit the bullet and she quit. It was very hard for a time, but we adjusted after a while.
6 in 3 years....i can only imagine the rules or the pay you offered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 06:34 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
When I lived in NYC I roomied with a ballerina, a business owner, a law student and a Nanny/Surfer/Model what ever tickled her fancy that week. Now when she was a Nanny, she took her job very seriously. She never had her boyfriend over or any friends. Her time on the job was devoted to the children and when they were in school, she was preparing with the chef their meals, brushing up on her French and German for their lessons, preparing their clothes for play, dinner, and sleep and the following day, shopping as need, and what not. On her days off, she was required to carry her cellphone at all times, if the phone rang at 1am while she was at the Club she had to go! She went on all exotic trips with them and had access to their driver.

Her pay and time.....wait for it......you might be surprised.......

$85,0000.00 a year including health benefits, no paid vacation. One night off a week and every other Saturday or Sunday off dependent on the social calendar.

I asked her did she ever have sex or tried to sneak her man or friends over she replied "NOOOOO. I never sh#@ where I eat and I never bite the hand that feeds."

She quit the Nanny job when she decided to go into the jewelry industry and start her own business. She moved out of their Central Park East penthouse and roomied with us.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
They are pretty relaxed with me.
I don't have a curfew, ever. Even on nights I work, as long as I do my job the next day and I am alert and functioning they don't care.
I could use their car whenever they weren't using it or they would take me to school/work but if I wanted to go out that night I could take the car and no curfew on that either.
Now that I have my own car they care even less what I do at night.

And by male friends spending the night, I didn't mean random men, I meant guys who were my friends, like the dude who lived with me at my mom's house, we've been best friends since high school. They LOVE him, he is here all the time, he does work around the house, they have him on their cell phone plan as well.

He lives a good 25 minute drive from me now and sometimes when its too late at night he doesn't want to drive all the way home, he hasn't stayed yet but he is allowed to. They even offered for him to live here too.

I can have female friends spend the night anytime and I never have to ask.

Someone said no drinking. Does that mean at the house or in general?
What I do in my free time is up to me, I just always have to keep work in mind.
They let me drink with them as well. Like have wine with dinner or have drinks at a get together they throw.

They can't even hear me come in during the day time when they are awake and in the house. Even with me opening the garage door and the inside door as well, they still are like oh woah hey whats up didn't hear you come in. They told me I was stealthy. I guess the past 4 years of sneaking in and out of my mom's house trying to be 100% quiet has paid off.

I am great with the kids too.
They really like me and I really like them. They are sweet kids and I enjoy spending time with them. I take them to the park, we play in the basement, I take them to museums.

Tonight, me and above mentioned guy friend are taking them to some lighting thing at the zoo tonight, his idea. He asked the mom last night, hey can I borrow your kids tomorrow night for the lighting at the zoo, she was more than happy to have us take them.

We're going to use my car to take them, which I am wary about because its brand new and I don't want crap getting all over the place but if I take the mini van they might want me to leave my keys for my car, its been a week and I don't think I am ready for that just yet.
I don't mean to sound rude but if you are happy with your employers why do you need validity? IMO you really lucked out, there are not that many employers (because essentially they are your employers) who would be that lenient with their children and most have high expectations of their nanny.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:18 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I don't mean to sound rude but if you are happy with your employers why do you need validity? IMO you really lucked out, there are not that many employers (because essentially they are your employers) who would be that lenient with their children and most have high expectations of their nanny.
They do have high expectations.
They expect me to enforce the rules with their kids, time-outs as necessary.
They expect me to teach the kids things and work on colors and numbers with the 3 year old and talking a lot to the 19 month old because he is learning to talk right now.
The kids are only allowed so much tv a day, we really have to work on hitting and spitting with the 3 year old and there is a lot she likes to have a certain way and I maintain that for her.

When I am given a task, any task, it is expected to be done and I get it done, which is why they are so lenient on me.

They had a bad nanny before me too. She was live in as well and snuck pets downstairs and apparently "smelled like a prostitute" and dressed in short shorts and revealing tops. She would go outside like every 30 minutes to smoke and had druggie friends and she was just bad news.

I did luck out and I really love the family that I nanny for. The wife is like a best friend to me. She knows everything that went on at my mom's house and she praises me for doing good in stuff like school or at work. She's pushes me to accomplish my goals. She is a really supportive person.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I think it's pretty silly that many people commented that they would not be happy if the nanny came home at 3am (or any late hour) when expected to watch the children the following morning. If the nanny lived in another residence, you wouldn't have ANY idea what time she got home the night before. As long as she's doing her job, it shouldn't matter how much sleep she's had. The reality is that most nannies are younger, college students, they can get by with very little sleep.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post

As I mentioned. Not one of them left because of the pay, nor because of the rules. Two returned to college to finish their degrees, one left to go to fireman school (and to train for the olympics), three were fired after only a few days or a week.

I think that we paid them $500 or $600 a week, plus room and board and later, health insurance. They worked about 50 hours a week, maybe a little more, but they could take naps during part of the day. We did not offer the early ones health insurance at first, but we eventually figured out that it was a good idea and found an affordable plan. One of them asked us to forget the health insurance and give them the money instead, so we did. The ones that we liked, we took out to dinner or picnics with us on occaision or even on short vacations if they wanted to go.

Although none of them left for more money, some that we interveiwed wanted more moeny than we could afford.

None of them voiced any complaint about the rules, but two of them ignored the rules (one by essentailly stealing our car, disappearing for three days, and then returning so drunk that she literally walked into a wall and started bleeding).

Old 12-09-2010, 12:55 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
As I mentioned. Not one of them left because of the pay nor because of the rules. Two returned to college to finish their degrees, one left to go to fireman school (and to train for the olympics), three were fired after only a few days or a week.

I think that we paid them $500 or $600 a week, plus room and board and later, health insurance. They worked about 50 hours a week, maybe a little more, but they could take naps during part of the day. We did not offer the early ones health insurance at first, but we eventually figured out that it was a good idea and found an affordable plan. One of them asked us to forget the health insurance and give them the money instead, so we did. The ones that we liked, we took out to dinner or picnics with us on occaision or even on short vacations if they wanted to go.

Although none of them left for more money, some that we interveiwed wanted more moeny than we could afford.

None of them voiced any complaint about the rules, but two of them ignored the rules (one by essentailly stealing our car, disappearing for three days, and then returning so drunk that she literally walked into a wall and started bleeding).

500-600 after or before taxes?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:06 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think it's pretty silly that many people commented that they would not be happy if the nanny came home at 3am (or any late hour) when expected to watch the children the following morning. If the nanny lived in another residence, you wouldn't have ANY idea what time she got home the night before. As long as she's doing her job, it shouldn't matter how much sleep she's had. The reality is that most nannies are younger, college students, they can get by with very little sleep.

I agree. Also, you have no right to tell someone who lives in the house as part of the job description you wanted fulfilled what time they can come and go on their off hours. You aren't their parent. And the room and board is generally part of the pay package, no?

If you don't like the job they do as a nanny, as a result of what they do in their time off, then it's your prerogative to dismiss them. But outside of that, I think it's pretty cheeky to impose a curfew on an autonomous adult.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
We did not have a curfew, but we did have no music, except with headphones and no guests after 10 p.m. I she came in after 10, she darned well better come in quietly enough not to wake us or the babies. No I am not her parent, but it is my home and I will not be made miserable, uncomfortable or unhappy in my own home just so that I do not run the risk of encroaching on someone's freedom when they are living in my home. Just because the nanny is not on duty, she was still living in our home and living in our home comes with rules.

It might be different if we had seperate living quarters, but not when her bedroom was just down the hall and right next to the kids'.

If she regualrly stayed out too late and was too tired to do her job, we would tell her that her current lifestyle was not working because she was not doing her job. Change it or leave. However if she could do her job and stay up all night, that is up to her. We did nto have her drive anywhere, but if that was a requirement, then it would be different. I am not going to allow an exhausted person drive my kids around no matter how much the claim that they are young and can handle no sleep (it is actually a lie, very few people can fully function without sufficeint sleep, they just think themselves into believeing tha they can).

Old 12-09-2010, 01:48 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I RARELY have come home that late. I mean maybe like 4 times in the 4 months that I have been here but I don't think I ever had work the next day. The average time is about 2am, since me having a car now, I become people's rides or I now can go visit my friends in the next town over.

Quote:
As I mentioned. Not one of them left because of the pay, nor because of the rules. Two returned to college to finish their degrees, one left to go to fireman school (and to train for the olympics), three were fired after only a few days or a week.

Ever stop to think that the kind of girls you interviewed didn't have issues with the rules because of the type of person they were and maybe had you interviewed people who were night owls or liked to go out with friends at night then you may have run into that problem?

And I hope you called the police on her when she got back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I agree. Also, you have no right to tell someone who lives in the house as part of the job description you wanted fulfilled what time they can come and go on their off hours. You aren't their parent. And the room and board is generally part of the pay package, no?

If you don't like the job they do as a nanny, as a result of what they do in their time off, then it's your prerogative to dismiss them. But outside of that, I think it's pretty cheeky to impose a curfew on an autonomous adult.
It is pretty cheeky.

Quote:
We did not have a curfew, but we did have no music, except with headphones and no guests after 10 p.m. I she came in after 10, she darned well better come in quietly enough not to wake us or the babies. No I am not her parent, but it is my home and I will not be made miserable, uncomfortable or unhappy in my own home just so that I do not run the risk of encroaching on someone's freedom when they are living in my home. Just because the nanny is not on duty, she was still living in our home and living in our home comes with rules.

It might be different if we had seperate living quarters, but not when her bedroom was just down the hall and right next to the kids'.

If she regualrly stayed out too late and was too tired to do her job, we would tell her that her current lifestyle was not working because she was not doing her job. Change it or leave. However if she could do her job and stay up all night, that is up to her. We did nto have her drive anywhere, but if that was a requirement, then it would be different. I am not going to allow an exhausted person drive my kids around no matter how much the claim that they are young and can handle no sleep (it is actually a lie, very few people can fully function without sufficeint sleep, they just think themselves into believeing tha they can).
That would have to suck.
My room is in my basement. I could not imagine using the spare room upstairs as my room and having to sneak up the creaky stairs and into the room, just to have to type on my laptop quietly and basically not do anything once I got in.

Down in the basement, I usually have my radio on at night, not loud just low and enough I can hear it. I can get up and go to the bathroom as I please. Leave as I please. Go watch tv in the main area of the basement if I want.

I would not want my room right next to anyones room.

I couldn't handle that little of privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting