U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-10-2010, 09:31 AM

852 posts, read 715,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
If it's not properly applied it is but i nor my sister have had no issues with it and have done it for 20 plus years .
Yeah. Not so much. Henna is pretty well-known for drying certain hair types. I've seen plenty of frizzed-out red heads with "properly applied" henna over the years. It's better that I raise my daughter to love her naturally gorgeous, thick, blond, curly hair, isn't it? Especially since she hasn't asked to change her hair color. Do you keep missing that point? I've made it several times now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I have honestly never heard of henna causing damage. I've also used it on and off for 20+ years. I think it's one of the best natural conditioners out there. Now if you use it with other hair coloring or straightening/perming products, you may run into trouble.
It depends on your hair type. Course hair runs in my family, and henna dries it out. I'm glad your experience has been different. My daughter's hair tends toward course too, but the point is that she hasn't asked to change her hair color, so I'm not suggesting anything to her. And she's 11, which is too young for any kind of hair color.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:37 AM

1,302 posts, read 945,925 times
Quote:
No, not snobby at all. I am in no position to judge what others do, I only know what I myself won't do. I guess I don't understand the highlighted part. I think maybe because the older I get the less I care about what others think about me on a superficial level (exterior). If they don't value me as a person, then that is their problem. I care about how I look for me, and sometimes my husband. Sorry if it sounds sanctimonious, I'm trying to be honest.
You don't sound sanctimonious

Believe me, I don't do all of it for other people. I am not one to care so much about what someone else thinks. I think it is what I personally can't stand. Take pedicures, for instance. Nothing is more disgusting to me than seeing someones nasty feet in sandals or open toed shoes. I hate bushy eyebrows, so I wax and so on...I honestly am more laughing at all of this because I can't comprehend the mindset, I wish I could because it would save me a ton of dough.

I love handbags and shoes, and not the cheap ones either. I completely understand how ridiculous it is and why some people would never buy them. I don't understand why people won't fix their feet. Does that make sense?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 AM

"Myth - Henna is Natural, So it Will Wash Out.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that henna, being a natural product, is "gentler" or "weaker" than regular hair dyes in terms of colour permanence! Henna is virtually impossible to strip from hair. Some success may be obtained by repeated oil treatments, honey treatments and/or dyeing or bleaching over the henna, but to fully rid one's hair of the colour is next to impossible. Many people find themselves in the position of having to grow their henna out, or cut it off, in order to get rid of it."

Read more at Suite101: Henna Hair Colour Facts and Myths: Natural, Safe and Permanent – Henna as an Alternative to Hair DyeHenna Hair Colour Facts and Myths: Natural, Safe and Permanent

In my opinion, henna is also a far-too-permanent hair decision for a young girl. If she doesn't like the color, it cannot be undone. There are plenty of "natural" things in this world that aren't necessarily good for us. I'm glad you ladies like your henna, but to suggest it as a choice for a young teen is in my opinion irresponsible. It's not "just hair" either. If we all didn't see hair as part of our identity, we wouldn't color it at all.

I say teach girls to love themselves as they are!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:55 AM

3,967 posts, read 3,324,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
"Myth - Henna is Natural, So it Will Wash Out.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that henna, being a natural product, is "gentler" or "weaker" than regular hair dyes in terms of colour permanence! Henna is virtually impossible to strip from hair. Some success may be obtained by repeated oil treatments, honey treatments and/or dyeing or bleaching over the henna, but to fully rid one's hair of the colour is next to impossible. Many people find themselves in the position of having to grow their henna out, or cut it off, in order to get rid of it."

Read more at Suite101: Henna Hair Colour Facts and Myths: Natural, Safe and Permanent Henna as an Alternative to Hair DyeHenna Hair Colour Facts and Myths: Natural, Safe and Permanent

In my opinion, henna is also a far-too-permanent hair decision for a young girl. If she doesn't like the color, it cannot be undone. There are plenty of "natural" things in this world that aren't necessarily good for us. I'm glad you ladies like your henna, but to suggest it as a choice for a young teen is in my opinion irresponsible. It's not "just hair" either. If we all didn't see hair as part of our identity, we wouldn't color it at all.

So it does fade eventually and is not going to kill you if it goes wrong.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:02 AM

12,159 posts, read 6,096,854 times
Quote:
I'm glad you ladies like your henna, but to suggest it as a choice for a young teen is in my opinion irresponsible.

Out of all the harmful things out there, you find this irresponsible? Interesting perspective.

Quote:
I don't disagree with this at all.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
So it does fade eventually and is not going to kill you if it goes wrong.
Did you read the paragraph? Judging from your response, it doesn't seem like you actually read it. Regardless, like all permanent hair colors, henna is an inappropriate choice for young girls.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:10 AM

3,967 posts, read 3,324,906 times
Quote:
Did you read the paragraph? Judging from your response, it doesn't seem like you actually read it. Regardless, like all permanent hair colors, henna is an inappropriate choice for young girls.
I read it and don't agree is all...age has nothing to do with it IMO. Whether you make the mess up at 13 or 22 you still have to deal with the potential consequence. That is part of the learning experience of life. Not one person hear has come up with a legitimate argument on why being young makes a difference.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
[/color]

Out of all the harmful things out there, you find this irresponsible? Interesting perspective.

I don't disagree with this at all.
Irresponsible for young teens. Really, you ladies need to read more carefully. We're not talking about "other things." We're talking about hair color, specifically hair color on young girls.

Whew. That's a relief!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 AM

12,159 posts, read 6,096,854 times
Quote:
I think you forgot to add "in my opinion" to the end of your sentence. There was nothing in your article that I did not already know, especially the part about henna being an excellent conditioner. If you don't want your daughter to color her hair, and she hasn't asked, why the anti-henna tirade?

Quote:
Irresponsible for young teens. Really, you ladies need to read more carefully. We're not talking about "other things." We're talking about hair color, specifically hair color on young girls.

Whew. That's a relief!
I know you were referring to young teens, that's what this thread is about. There are kids in my children's school in kindergarten who have highlights in their hair, presumably placed there by their mothers. It wouldn't be my choice, but it has nothing to do with me. That is certainly less harmful than many other things I can think of. It's all about perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting