Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:18 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd start feeding a child like that everytime he visits. I'll never forget when I took a bunch of boys to the grocery store to pick up snacks and breakfast for a sleepover. I overheard one of the boys worrying that I was spending all of my money---as if $20 worth of food was extravagant. After that, I invited him to lunch/dinner with us whenever he was visiting. I'm not saying that this particular boys parents were purposely not feeing him properly, but there are many children in the United States that go to bed hungry due to poverty.

Chances are hopes because there are a lot of programs to make sure poorer families esp ones with kids eat. Generally any parent that is allowing their family to go hungry isn't feeding them properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 11:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Chances are hopes because there are a lot of programs to make sure poorer families esp ones with kids eat. Generally any parent that is allowing their family to go hungry isn't feeding them properly.
It's a shame that people assume impovershed children are taken care of by programs. But I agree that usually the parents are being neglectful. In the case of the boy I described, his mother was an alcoholic and she was neglecting him. He smelled. His clothes were filthly. I taught him how to use our washing machine so he could wash his own clothes at home. He was about 10 at the time.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:24 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,239,725 times
if people let kids slide when they steal... those kids become adults who steal.

when i was young, someone wouldv'e gotten the belt for stealing $10.

i can't imagine anyone leaving hundreds laying around back then but the repercussion would've been harsh.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's a shame that people assume impovershed children are taken care of by programs. But I agree that usually the parents are being neglectful. In the case of the boy I described, his mother was an alcoholic and she was neglecting him. He smelled. His clothes were filthly. I taught him how to use our washing machine so he could wash his own clothes at home. He was about 10 at the time.

No i don't assume programs are, but i assume parents should be . You made quite the difference to that little boy too hopes . Do you know whatever happened to him?

Old 12-09-2010, 11:30 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Little thieves grow up to be adult thieves if they do not reap the consequences of their actions. In a similar circumstance I would have no hesitation contacting the parents and explaining why the child was no longer welcome to come to my home or play with my child. Parents have a right to know what their kids are doing when they are a guest at someone else's home especially when it is socially unacceptable behavior.

Teach your children well.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 12-09-2010 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-09-2010, 11:32 AM

232 posts, read 676,210 times
I don't get all these comments about not telling the parents. We're way too soft on kids these days. If I had stolen money from a friend's house, I would have gotten the belt. But guess what? I wouldn't have done it again. By letting these kids off, they're learning they can get away with it. They're not welcome in your house anymore? Fine...they'll just go to someone else's house and steal from them.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:35 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,123 times
I can't imagine my parents would ever let stealing go unpunished, and I wouldn't either. Obviously if they're that scared of their parents whooping some ass, the parents should be told. Maybe the ass whooping will be effective then, and they will no longer steal!

By not having them punished by their parents it is teaching them they can pretty much do whatever they please and not have to fear parental retribution.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
No i don't assume programs are, but i assume parents should be . You made quite the difference to that little boy too hopes . Do you know whatever happened to him?
When he was 13, he moved in with his father, who lived in an impoverished neighborhood in a nearby school district. By 15, he was living on his own and sold drugs to support himself. He remained a serious student at school and is in his first year of college now. He's going to be okay.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:38 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
I'm not understanding the whole black/white thing. It sounds like the OP thinks that if he calls the parents they are going to cry racism and say you are accusing their child because he is black. If you are met with that response, I'd simply say, "No, it's not because he's black, it's because I saw him steal the money."

The OP is assuming that because the child is a black refugee that he is not well off. I grew up not well off by any stretch but I always had food and bare necessities. I stole $5. out of a friend's mom's purse when I was very small and felt like I was rich when I bought whatever I did with it. After that, I felt sick about it but was too afraid to tell the mom or my own parents because I had spent it. I still remember it to this day and feel like dirt because I did that.

In any case, unless the OP knows for a fact that the child is starving and stealing to survive, there are too many assumptions being made here. The kid can have all of his needs met at home and still feel like he's doing without because he doesn't have any fancy, luxury items and thus he begins to steal stuff.

I would call the parents. If he's not stopped at a young age, he will continue to steal and he'll find himself in real trouble one day.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
lol - Here, they are about $6/person. I thought that was HIGH In COS, it was like $3.50 and in Albuquerque the new releases were around $6, but there was a dollar theater if you were willing to wait a couple extra months.

Even our dollar theater now charges $1.50.

I saw a movie in Orange County Ca recently and it cost me $13.50!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting