Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Ah, don't be so quick my friend. Those nurses at the hospital that are there to help new mothers breastfeed are some of the nastiest women I have ever come across. I have a name for them but it is offensive to some so I won't say it.

With my first son, I was going back to work at 2 weeks and never even remotely gave breastfeeding a consideration. These 2 women tag teamed me for 48 hours and were relentless with their pushing.

When I had my second, I learned my lesson. The minute she walked in the room after he was born I told her that my son would not be suckling my breast but she was free to suckle my a** if she would like to stay in my room.

The point is, even the educated sometimes push their agenda.
I agree that there are some seriously clueless nurses in the hospital. My nurse was trying to get me to give my dd a bottle when there was clearly no need for it. I agree that sometimes eduacted people like Dr's and nurses just try to push their own personal agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Worth bearing in mind is the WHO recommendation of 2 years really applies to those children who would be nutritionally disadvantaged without breast milk. I hardly think it applies to most children in the US beyond one year.
Agreed, I would be more inclined to follow the AAP's recommendations than the WHO's, since the AAP is dealing with the US specifically, while the WHO's recommendations take third world countries into account. JMO.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:46 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I've heard this argument a lot, but I don't think it's true. Can you back that up? The American Academy of Family Physicians as well as Health Canada both defer to WHO with the 2 year guideline.
You are missing my point. I am not anti-breastfeeding at all. I breastfed one child for 18 months, one for a year. There is a specific reason for the 2 year recommendation by WHO, and that is to address the issues of kwashiorkor, marasmus, and water-borne illness. None of those are issues here. If people choose to breastfeed past 2 years, then good for them, but they don't need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Obviously. I can also comfort and bond with my children by breastfeeding them. I have lots of options!
That was my point, both can.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And yet, there are obese kids, kids with childhood diabetes, who were breastfed.

Breastfeeding does not prevent obesity, does not prevent diabetes, does not prevent allergies, does not prevent illness. In fact, there are some few children, who are allergic to their mother's milk, who are actually harmed by being forced to breastfeed until the allergy is discovered.

All things being equal, all things are equal.
Of course there are obese children who were breastfed and children with diabetes who were breastfed but research does not support your view that breast milk and formula are equal nor does it support your opinion regarding the health benefits of breastfeeding. Formula is a good substitute for breast milk for the mother who can not or does not desire to breastfeed.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Ah - I understood "experts" to mean "anyone with the educational background, experience, and qualifications to fit the criteria of someone who knows what they're talking about." Such as, a pediatrician, or OB/GYN. Since they're the ones who actually deal with individual mothers who are, or are not, breastfeeding their children.
Individual pediatricians and OB/GYN docs are unfortunately too often woefully uninformed and misinformed about breastfeeding. There have been several publications of surveys of such doctors showing that there is great need for more education of these front-line providers.

For example:
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med -- Pediatricians and the Promotion and Support of Breastfeeding, December 2008, Feldman-Winter et al. 162 (12): 1142
More pediatricians in 2004 than in 1995 reported receiving education about the management of breastfeeding while in medical school or during residency (67.6% vs 57.9%; OR, 1.02; 95% CI, 1.01-1.02). Fewer than half (44% in both survey years) of the pediatricians surveyed have attended continuing education programs or grand rounds on breastfeeding topics, whereas most pediatricians have read articles about the management of breastfeeding (88% in 2004 and 90% in 1995). Most pediatricians were interested in receiving more education focused on the management of breastfeeding; however, interest has declined since 1995 (79.7% vs 85.9%; OR, 0.98; 95% CI, 0.97-0.99).

Despite acknowledging the need for additional education and training, pediatricians reported high levels of confidence in managing common breastfeeding problems. Furthermore, 87% of pediatricians in 2004 reported confidence in addressing parents' questions about breastfeeding. In contrast, only 37% of the respondents reported teaching mothers breastfeeding techniques at least 5 times during the previous year. Most pediatricians in 2004 reported counseling mothers about lactation problems (56%), observing breastfeeding in the hospital or clinic (61%), and counseling mothers about infant feeding choices (81%) at least 5 times during the previous year. Although most pediatricians reported answering telephone inquiries about breastfeeding (76%), many pediatricians deferred breastfeeding questions to office staff members or other health care professionals. Significantly more pediatricians in 2004 than 1995 reported not knowing how their staff members were trained in breastfeeding management (22.1% vs 13.0%; OR, 1.02; 95% CI,1.01-1.04), and fewer pediatricians in 2004 participated in training their staff (57.4% vs 63.7%; 0.99; 0.98-0.10).

In short, most pediatricians admitted to having little training in breastfeeding, and yet feeling very confident at advising mothers on it. This, unfortunately, leads to the spread of misinformation to mothers by sources they trust.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Agreed, I would be more inclined to follow the AAP's recommendations than the WHO's, since the AAP is dealing with the US specifically, while the WHO's recommendations take third world countries into account. JMO.
What about the AAFP?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
The US isn't exactly the healthiest country in the world with our high rates of obesity, childhood diabetes, etc.
Have you ever seen the documentary "Babies". Some of the things the parents from Namibia and Mongolia were just... I defnitely wouldn't use a third world country as a model for my parenting style. I'll take our high rates of obesity, etc. over some of the things they did. Not to mention, I'm not too worried about my child being obese simply because of genetics. I still believe genetics plays the biggest role in obesity. My DH is a twig.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:08 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
I think it's far more important to try and encourage those who choose to breasfeed to continue for at least a year, than to to push for two. As it is most are not lasting even 6 months, and that's a shame. Did anyone see the Time article recently:

Why Most Moms Don’t Follow Breast-Feeding Recommendations – TIME Healthland

Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
But wait, Zimbochick! If "most" aren't even lasting 6 months...then that would mean, 2 years isn't normal! Normal would be what "most" are doing in an given set of demographics.

Like, if you live in the tropics, a "normal" day, would be humid, and hot, and breezy. But that would certainly not be a "normal" day in Anarctica.

And "normal" income for tribals who live in jungles and only use trade for currency, might be a goat, two pork chops, and a well-crafted drum. While that payment will get you locked up in a looney bin if you tried paying for a suit at Neiman Marcus with it.

Seems 6 months to a year might be the new normal now. What is normal, isn't always what is recommended. If it was normal, no one would have to recommend it.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think it's far more important to try and encourage those who choose to breasfeed to continue for at least a year, than to to push for two. As it is most are not lasting even 6 months, and that's a shame. Did anyone see the Time article recently:

Why Most Moms Don’t Follow Breast-Feeding Recommendations – TIME Healthland
I agree that it's more important to try to encourage those who choose to breastfeed to continue for at least a year then it is to push for two. I also think it's equally important to support those who choose to continue to the age of two and beyond and not be so judgemental (I'm not talking about anyone specifically here).

My dd's first pediatrician encouraged weaning at a year and again at 18 months for no apparent reason at all. I don't think that's very supportive of a breastfeeding mother who made it clear that she had planned on nursing for at least 2 years. The next pediatrician was much more supportive and told me that I should nurse as long as we both wanted. That's showing support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting