Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:34 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times

Advertisements

If she's 18, then who cares? If UNDER 18 (and therefore, I assume, requires parental permission) then I'd file all sorts of complaints against the place that did it, or at least demand proof that they had been misled about her age; if they're not following the law on that, then what else aren't they doing? My concern there would be about the health issues more than anything.

I wouldn't give permission to my under-18 year old to get a tattoo; that's a permanent decision, and they can just wait until they're of age to make that decision for themselves. I don't care about tattoos one way or other, though, although I think some are hideous. The ones I particularly hate are the Asian language/text tattoos on the small of the back: how much more cliched can you get? At least if you get the trendy hairstyle you can just change it. On the plus side, I guess if you get tired of the back tattoo you don't have to look at it, and, of course, there are those who never give up their high school look (for good or bad!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
How old is the daughter?

I got an ankle tattoo when I was 21. I wore socks around my parents for a few months, then finally showed them on Christmas after they'd had a couple drinks. My mom was really upset. She made me cover it up around her side of the family. I finally stopped after I got married and they had nothing to financially hold over my head anymore. I think she made too big a deal out of it.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:46 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
I've already told my daughter, if she gets a tattoo, I get a tattoo.

How's that for taking the "cool" out of it for her?

I don't really care if she gets one, but not before she's 18,

Old 12-09-2010, 04:13 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times
It wouldn't bother me as long as she was of legal age and went to a reputable artist.
If she were underage I would be concerned about where she got it...and if safety precautions were used.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

LOL...

I have the other end of the stick...

My DD got a tattoo on her 18th. I actually helped her pick out the design several months earlier. It is not a "tramp stamp" but you wouldn't see it unless she had a bikini on ...She went to a reputable place and it is nicely done. She has a few friends whose tattoos don't look nearly as nice . Anyway, she keeps telling me I need to get one when I turn 50. Tick tock tick tock....

DewDrop - would that Cardinal be right over the "I heart Kurt Warner" script?

Back to the OP...my reaction would depend on the age of the teen (better be over 18) and the tone of the "deal with it" comment. That attitude doesn't fly in my house.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:19 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
My daughters are 8 so i doubt this would happen lol. One time cody *my namesake * told me to deal with it when she wouldn't clean her room. The next day her room had nothing in it but a pillow and a blanket with a note from mom "Deal With It"...and she got grounded .
Oooh... I like this!

Old 12-09-2010, 05:19 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:

Old 12-09-2010, 05:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My DD got a tattoo on her 18th. I actually helped her pick out the design several months earlier. It is not a "tramp stamp" but you wouldn't see it unless she had a bikini on ...She went to a reputable place and it is nicely done. She has a few friends whose tattoos don't look nearly as nice . Anyway, she keeps telling me I need to get one when I turn 50. Tick tock tick tock....

DewDrop - would that Cardinal be right over the "I heart Kurt Warner" script?
Go for it, maciesmom!!

Actually, lol, I was going to have the red bird and "13 to 11" worked in somehow. (Kurt to Larry. And they're both "Leviticus Babies" so that would have been a little ironic.)

Old 12-09-2010, 06:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Anyway, she keeps telling me I need to get one when I turn 50. Tick tock tick tock....
Look at the bright side: your body has already done most of its sagging. Your tatoo won't change as much as hers will through the years.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:11 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
The rules for our home is that if you want a tattoo or anything pierced other than ears then you do it when you turn 18, and the only one allowed the ears pierced was our daughter, the boys aren't allowed. The summer our daughter turned 18 she got her belly button pierced, the summer our son turned 18 he got a cross tattooed on his chest, then last winter he got an angel with 5 roses and a pink ribbon done on his upper back.

I have to add none of my kids have ever told me to just deal with something they had done I didn't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting