Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 01:51 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
In certain situations these are actually valid reasons. You do not know the child intimately, nor the parent's true reasons or feelings on the subject. You sound terribly self-righteous to me.

You may choose to make what judgements you like about how you feel about the reasons, valid or not. You don't need to know a child intimately to know "I don't want to" is a bull**** reason for much of anything. And if that seems like a valid reason to cater to your kid, then I stand my my assessment that is the worst precious snowflake business I have ever heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
We are planning a trip to Disney this fall. My kids will be 4 and 7, and their cousin will be 3. I am planning on renting a double stroller and letting them switch in and out of it as needed. I don't care who thinks my kids are too old/big. My youngest has special needs and my oldest is tiny and can pass for 5, so maybe nobody will give us a dirty look. Then I'll also bring a mei tai to strap the youngest on my back for lines.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
We are planning a trip to Disney this fall. My kids will be 4 and 7, and their cousin will be 3. I am planning on renting a double stroller and letting them switch in and out of it as needed. I don't care who thinks my kids are too old/big. My youngest has special needs and my oldest is tiny and can pass for 5, so maybe nobody will give us a dirty look. Then I'll also bring a mei tai to strap the youngest on my back for lines.
I am trying to think of a clever return look in case they do, but am coming up empty.The mei tai is a good idea.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
You're wrong, I can think of lots of reasons:

they don't want to
it's easier to have parents drive them
parents find it easier not to argue with them so they drive them
they think 3 blocks is too far to walk
parents are afraid they'll be snatched up by a kidnapper
parents are too lazy to walk with them
here's a good one I heard- daughter didn't want to dirty her new shoes by walking
its too cold
it's windy
its hot
its humid
some other kid might bother me
would have to leave 5 minutes earlier
backpack is heavy
just ate breakfast and might get a stomach ache

There you go!
The first reason is really the only justification anyone needs.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The first reason is really the only justification anyone needs.
Nobody needs justification at all.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
My youngest has special needs and my oldest is tiny and can pass for 5, so maybe nobody will give us a dirty look.
Why would you care?

Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Nobody needs justification at all.
Well-"I don't feel like it" isn't really justification. That's my point exactly. If I don't feel like walking my kids to school I am not going to do it no matter what some person says I should be doing.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Go for it.

Don't leave anything valuable in sight when you park the stroller. Tie a colorful ribbon around the handle. Cast members will move strollers around as needed if they're blocking the aisle and you'll be able to find it easily. If you get a dirty look from anyone give 'em the stink eye back. Have a great time.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:43 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
My youngest was 8 when we went to Disney. She is little, but was not toddler size when we were there. She fit perfectly in the rental strollers they have. No one paid any attention...trust me, no one will care what age child you are pushing around. Renting a stoller for her to take breaks in was one of the best things we did to make the trip less stressful. It's a lot of walking for even an 8 yr. old...

Old 04-22-2013, 03:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
My youngest was 8 when we went to Disney. She is little, but was not toddler size when we were there. She fit perfectly in the rental strollers they have. No one paid any attention...trust me, no one will care what age child you are pushing around. Renting a stoller for her to take breaks in was one of the best things we did to make the trip less stressful. It's a lot of walking for even an 8 yr. old...
You don't know that. Not that it matters what other people think, and not that you should care what other people think, but how would you know? I mentioned up thread how many older kids I saw in strollers at DW last month. It's not like I went up to anyone and told them I noticed, or asked why or anything. But I noticed and wondered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting