U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:30 PM

25,209 posts, read 16,421,672 times
Default Drop Side Cribs Ban

I understand the danger in faulty drop side cribs and now they will be banned by June. But what about all the less than flexible people, either parents or grandparents, who will not be able to lift baby out. How is that being addressed?

I had a friend who broke her arm shortly after her child was born and she had to go thru all sorts of machinations to get her child out. The drop side was critical for her. And I myself was thankful I could get to my babies easier with the drop side cribs we had in the dark ages.

Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 02:49 PM

21,543 posts, read 12,125,807 times
I was wondering about the same thing myself.

One of the TLC shows on little people (not sure of the name) showed the parents using a crib that had something like gates that they could open (and close) so they could use it. I thought that was smart.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:56 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,198,000 times
I'm using a drop-side crib for my 10-month old. I've had it for 11 years and there have been no recalls. The slats are the right distance apart and the mattrass is safe.
In my case I need a drop side crib. I'm very petite, 5 feet tall, 105 pounds and it would be very difficult to lean over and safely wrestle my baby out of the crib without one. This will especially be true once she can stand up in the crib and I have to lower the mattrass to the lowest setting.
I'm sure that millions of moms have used drop-side cribs without a problem. Sometimes a manufactuer makes an unsafe model; sometimes people don't use them correctly or forget to pull the side back up after putting the baby to sleep.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:47 PM

11,294 posts, read 15,973,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I was wondering about the same thing myself.

One of the TLC shows on little people (not sure of the name) showed the parents using a crib that had something like gates that they could open (and close) so they could use it. I thought that was smart.
I'm pretty sure it was either Clean House or that Extreme Makeover: Home Edition show. I remember the crib too, one of the parents was disabled (wheelchairbound? legless?) and wanted to be able to get to the baby without someone needing to lift him over the railing.

As for drop-gates, you have to chalk it up to the government taking control, once again, of things that *some* adults, are too dumb to figure out for themselves.

The few ruin it for the many. Be sure to thank your local litigious society and check your common sense at the door.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:59 PM

16,927 posts, read 13,866,478 times
I don't like it when they recall perfectly good products because someone put it together wrong. I used a crib with drop sides for both my kids and never ever once dropped the side down to get them out.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:14 PM

25,209 posts, read 16,421,672 times
I think I remember reading that "used incorrectly the drop side cribs...." Surely not all drop side cribe used all these many years are so dangerous. It isn't a matter of too much space between slats. I think the hurt children got their heads between the rail and the mattress.

I'm still wondering how some people are gonna be able to get to their kids.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:20 PM

4,267 posts, read 2,947,290 times
You could always skip the crib all together, get a toddler bed with side rails (or put the mattress on the floor) and once the baby is mobile, childproof the room and put a baby gate in the doorway. You're going to have to do it at some point anyway, might as well save money on a crib.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 PM

12,077 posts, read 5,740,227 times
I understand that some children have been hurt, but does no one take any personal responsibility any more? I'd be interested to know if the injuries were caused when the crib sides were not locked properly, or if they actually failed? If people think a drop-side crib is too dangerous, then perhaps they shouldn't buy one. My son sprained his shoulder running into a wall. I think we should ban all walls.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:27 PM

4,143 posts, read 4,771,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I understand that some children have been hurt, but does no one take any personal responsibility any more? I'd be interested to know if the injuries were caused when the crib sides were not locked properly, or if they actually failed? If people think a drop-side crib is too dangerous, then perhaps they shouldn't buy one. My son sprained his shoulder running into a wall. I think we should ban all walls.
My dad used to put me in a blanket and swing me around. One time I fell out and dislocated my shoulder. I think they should ban blankets and dads.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 PM

2,060 posts, read 2,967,264 times
I have scars on my forehead from falling out of my drop side crib 33 years ago. The crib wasn't faulty, I was just smart. Not smart enough apparently!

They make cribs that are accessible in other ways for those that truly need them. I'm sure the majority of the parents involved in these tragedies didn't realise they were incorrectly using the cribs, we all have moments of forgetfulness, especially with newborns around. To assume they were all just stupid is insulting and disrespectful. It's sad that so many of us have to wait until something happens to one of our own kids before we can empathize with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting