Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times

Advertisements

this is exactly what I was wondering about when you first posted about this job. Most live-in nannies nanny full time and don't have another job. I never understood how this was supposed to work, and why they wanted someone living with them who was working so few hours. I don't know if the parents were unclear when they told you what they expected, or if you didn't understand. Either way, it doesn't sound like a good situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 04:07 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,730 times
Monty Python Poor Sketch (http://web.ukonline.co.uk/thursday.handleigh/humour/monty-python/poor.htm - broken link)

Monty Python ......

"Who would have thought thirty years ago we would all be sitting here drinking Chateau de {Chassiley?} wine, eh?"

"In them days, we were glad to have the price of a cup of tea."

"Aye, a cup of cold tea"

"Without milk or sugar"

"Or tea"

"In a filthy cracked cup."

"We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper."

"The best we could manage was a sock or a piece of damp cloth."

"But ye know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor ..."

"Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me 'Money doesn't buy you happiness'."

"He was right. I was happier then and I had nothing! We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof."

"House, you lived in a house? We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, half the floor was missing, and we're all huddled together in one corner for fear of falling."

"You were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in the corridor!"

"Oooooh, we used to dream of living in a corridor. It would have been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish [heap]. We got woken up every morning to having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us. House? Uh!"

"Oh, when I said house I meant a hole in the ground covered by a piece of twig. It was a house to us."

"We were evicted from our hole in the ground. We had to go and live in the lake!"

"You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road."

"Cardboard box?"

"Aye"

"You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down the mill fourteen hours a day, week in, week out, and when we would go home, dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt."

"Look, [sherry?], we used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work for twenty hours at the mill every day for a tuppence a month, come home, and dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle ... if we were lucky!"

"Well, we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and lick the road clean with our tongues. We had one handful of freezing cold gravel, work at the mill for twenty-four hours a day for four bits every six years, and when would get home, our dad would slice into us with a bread knife."

"Right!"

"I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of dry poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah!"

"You can't tell the young people of the day that. They won't believe you."

[Chorus of no's and nays]

All credits to the Monty Python players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Old 12-15-2010, 04:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
OMG - you are working 32 hours a week? How do you ever survive? Txt....when we first got married, my DH was working 40+ hours a week at his job, and he was taking 9-12 hours/semester of college, and we were working fixing up a repo house that we had bought because that was what we could afford. Oh, after a year and a half of that, we had a baby to boot. He graduated college when our DD was a little over a year old. So he carried that load for 2-3 years. I'd venture to guess that most everyone on here has some kind of similar story. So while I agree you have a point about needing clear expectations, I'm not feeling too sorry for you about working 32 hours a week.

Unless you plan on living there forever, it's temporary. Same with living with your mom.

For future reference: people who advertise for childcare on some random website, don't do a real background check complete with drug testing, and require some kind of real experience or training with children, have a clear binding contract and pay you cash under the table are most likely not the kind of people you want to be working for.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:13 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
OMG - you are working 32 hours a week? How do you ever survive? Txt....when we first got married, my DH was working 40+ hours a week at his job, and he was taking 9-12 hours/semester of college, and we were working fixing up a repo house that we had bought because that was what we could afford. Oh, after a year and a half of that, we had a baby to boot. He graduated college when our DD was a little over a year old. So he carried that load for 2-3 years. I'd venture to guess that most everyone on here has some kind of similar story. So while I agree you have a point about needing clear expectations, I'm not feeling too sorry for you about working 32 hours a week.

Unless you plan on living there forever, it's temporary. Same with living with your mom.

For future reference: people who advertise for childcare on some random website, don't do a real background check complete with drug testing, and require some kind of real experience or training with children, have a clear binding contract and pay you cash under the table are most likely not the kind of people you want to be working for.
That's just at my one job though.
Not to mention working maybe another 15 hours a week for the people that I nanny for.

Aaaannnddddd I was doing college too.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Good thing about my debt is I am in debt to my grandmother, not the gov't. My grandmother is chill if I have to defer payment once or twice.

So...in other words, you're completely "chill" with living off your grandmother now. Just like your mom. This is exactly how it starts.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:

So...in other words, you're completely "chill" with living off your grandmother now. Just like your mom. This is exactly how it starts.
I am hardly living off my grandmother. I pay her, I pay my car insurance, I pay my bills. I haven't deferred payment and I don't plan on it...but if for some reason I got struck by a semi truck and it takes me a year of rehab and metal poles in my legs and I miss work and have no paycheck THEN I might just have to defer payment but I don't see that happening anytime soon...cause that's the only thing that could keep me from my BBB job..

Old 12-15-2010, 04:19 PM

txt - you haven't even made the first payment and you're already talking about quitting one job and deferring payments. If it weren't an option you were considering, you wouldn't have even mentioned it. It sounds to me like you'd rather defer payments to your grandmother than consider moving back in with your mom.

You need to treat your debt to your grandmother even more carefully than you would a debt to a bank.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
txt - you haven't even made the first payment and you're already talking about quitting one job and deferring payments. If it weren't an option you were considering, you wouldn't have even mentioned it. It sounds to me like you'd rather defer payments to your grandmother than consider moving back in with your mom.
I wouldn't have to defer payments anyways.
At the end of the month, I can make anywhere from 10/hr to 160, lets just hope I make over $40 because she deducts that $40 from my money.

It would be a financial safety to quit because if I don't hit my quota hours I owe money.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I tried that this morning and it did not work out well. The husband did nothing but yell, cuss and slam his fist in the table at me while telling me my BBB job was not hard and that I shouldn't be trying to say that working till 12am and waking up at 7am is hard and that I need to switch my shifts(which I can't do) and that they don't care about my job and that they think its totally ok to spring things on me without caring if I have other plans.
This is not OK. You really do need to talk to them. I would tell the Mom that I wanted to set up a time to talk to both her and her DH so that you can agree upon some terms. The lines are too blurry and you need to nip this in the bud now. If they still want to take advantage of you, start making plans to move out and then give them your notice.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
CLARIFICATION EVERYONE!

This thread isn't for talking about Grandmother.

This thread isn't about txtqueen quitting her nanny job.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT helping txtqueen learn how to address the problems with the nanny family in a mature, effective way so txtqueen can STAY at the job.

I get to say that because this thread is all my fault! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting