Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,848,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
There is no reason for me not to.
I have nothing against me that would keep me out of police academy.

txt first off you are going to be behind any cops kid....or ex military that applies...remember they generally only have so many slots available every year. Second you have yet to pass the psychological tests they put your through which is what trips most people up. 3rd there is a deadline for applying so i would do that now and not wait...because the longer you do the more chances you won't get in. A lot of times people don't get in the first few times they apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I am aware.
Luckily I have already had two years of exposure to EVERYTHING I will learn at police academy, I have even been to a mock academy for 19 weeks for explorers and learned the same stuff I would in a real academy, I KNOW I can make it through to be a cop.

Txt comparing the police explorers to the police academy is like comparing the boy scouts to boot camp. Believe me it's not going to give you the ultimate edge you seem to think it will. *this post comes from my ex who was a homicide detective and on the force for 30 years*

Old 12-17-2010, 05:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
Quote:
And I talked to the wife tonight, she texted me afterwards and told me she enjoyed our conversation but I told her about how I really would enjoy a set schedule and some consistency and if things came up I would take them as they came but small stuff like stopping my world for laundry and everything was a little much. I told her it made me anxious and stressed to never be able to plan anything or do anything because I never know when I am going to be working.
One solution might be to have some set chores instead of set hours. For example, laundry could be a regular chore that you do on your own without being told. You schedule when to do it on your own around your schedule. And you are 100% responsible for laundry and must keep up with it.

Instead of keeping track of hours spent doing laundry for pay, you could come to an agreement of what doing laundry is worth to them and to you, like maybe $200 per month, which is permanently deleted from your rent balance as long as the laundry is always caught up.

Quote:
I haven't hit on separating my line or the car insurance I will take this bit by bit.
That's probably a wise idea---work at them slowly on one issue at a time.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,058,163 times
Quote:
And thank you Hopes for going up to bat for me....not up to bat at me..
Hopes is holding your hand. Bless her. We're pulling you back because we can see you are stumbling onto the freeway and there's run-away semi coming at you.

You're about to be squished.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
txt first off you are going to be behind any cops kid....or ex military that applies...remember they generally only have so many slots available every year.
Every part of the country is different. There are areas of the country where people don't want to be police officers. Those areas struggle to staff their forces.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Every part of the country is different. There are areas of the country where people don't want to be police officers. Those areas struggle to staff their forces.
Unless txt lives in bum **** chances are that isn't the case. Most metropolitan areas are understaffed due to budget not lack of people applying.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:54 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,696,940 times
Quote:
When I am going to academy I will not be nannying anymore.

At least at police academy it'll be scheduled. Those days, those times for 11 months, my BBB shift will be those days those times for 11 months. No surprises, no last minute whatevers, if BBB calls me and I have academy, I can decline. What? No 14 day notice?

It's not the type or amount of work that bothers me, its the inconsistent schedules and last minute drop what you are doing no one cares if you are busy type of stuff.

Sweeping, folding laundry, cleaning a kitchen is not hard and I am damn good at it, its the fact that while I am doing that at times I wasn't scheduled to be doing it, I could be doing what I need to do but instead it gets neglected.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday I have to be ready and at my friends house by 1230 or 130(if I work at 3 or later), to pick her up and drop her off at work and then go to work myself. When I get off of work, I have to head over and pick her up and take her home. (She literally works right at the gas station RIGHT in front of my work....I could hit it with a baseball.) And yes I HAVE to, she works 5.1 miles from her house and I literally am the ONLY person who can make themselves available during that time to take her, otherwise she would walk 5.1 miles in the middle of December, I just can't live with myself, I feel horrible when I can't help her.

My bitchfest isn't about oh woe is me I have to do work...my bitchfest is that I need a set schedule and need to have time to do my things as well because after BBB and nannying I have no time to do things I need to.

A schedule, some notice and like understanding would be nice.
She doesn't work and if I work till midnight the night before there is no reason she NEEDS to schedule me at 8am, my other start time is 10am and would be more reasonable and caring to give me.

ANYWHO....I talked to her today and let her know some of my concerns, I think this might just turn around.

So, what you're really saying is, "I totally SUCK at prioritization and MUST have things scheduled in order to function. Throw anything into the mix and I just can't DEAL!!!!!!!" Life, REAL life....is unscheduled, spontaneous and if you're going to really survive and thrive without causing yourself and everyone else a whole lot of drauma, you better learn to think on your feet, do the best you can with what you've got and never forget....sh*t happens. You have just as many hours in a day as everyone else, some people just suck at time management. That's why there's an age old saying ..."If you want something done, as the busiest person you know!" You know why?...because they are incredible "time managers".

Another thing....you keep talking about your "accomplishments". Okay, you got a job. You did NOT get yourself a "place". You moved in with another family and promised them you'd work for them in exchange for rent. You did NOT get yourself a car...oh no, missy, you did NOT. Your GRANDMA got herself a car. YOU don't own it, SHE owns it. If you do not pay her, she can take it BACK! If you have something and it's not paid for, even if you're using it....it's NOT yours. If someone can legally take it away from you if you don't make payments....it's not YOURS. Jeez! It's no different than getting a bank loan (except you earn credit at the bank IF you make pmts on time). If you borrow money from a bank or credit union....THEY own it. If you don't pay, it's theirs! Damn, some people just don't get the concept!

Old 12-17-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hopes is holding your hand. Bless her. We're pulling you back because we can see you are stumbling onto the freeway and there's run-away semi coming at you.

You're about to be squished.
I don't think she's stumbling. She hasn't quit. She did talk with the employer. She wisely decided on her own to address one issue at a time.

She ignored many posters who told her to move back with her mother. (I even broke down and posted that once. LOL)

She's being smart for ignoring those posts instead of grabbing them as validation and just quitting.

Sure, she's complaining, but she is also taking action in a positive manner.

Baby steps. She's come a long way. In the summer, she would have told the employer to f@ck off. Our girl is growing up, slowly, but she is growing!

Old 12-17-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Unless txt lives in bum **** chances are that isn't the case. Most metropolitan areas are understaffed due to budget not lack of people applying.
I don't live in bum **** and that's the case here. Our greater metro area has a difficult time staffing nonprofessional positions. It's difficult to find people who will do trade work, police work, etc. My area has a greater percentage of population with higher education than many other areas of the country. Plus, the cost of living is extremely low so the uneducated aren't desperate.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't live in bum **** and that's the case here. Our greater metro area has a difficult time staffing nonprofessional positions. It's difficult to find people who will do trade work, police work, etc. My area has a greater percentage of population with higher education than many other areas of the country. Plus, the cost of living is extremely low so the uneducated aren't desperate.
Hopes she lives in Co so i doubt she has that problem. And your area would be the exception and not the rule hopes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting