U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:48 PM

26 posts, read 33,892 times

Advertisements

If your teenage daughter didn't like to wear dresses, skirts, or wear makeup and prefered to keep her hair short or buzzed and wear boys clothes, would you still force her to dress feminine?

And if the family were going out somewhere that required everyone to dress nice, would you object to her wearing something like this?:

http://www.newmanindia.com/images/about_pic.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,980,675 times
The link does not work.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 PM

26 posts, read 33,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
The link does not work.

I'm not sure why it won't work, just copy and paste in another tab to see it.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:24 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
The pic is of a man's outfit----dress shirt with tie.

I wouldn't require a daughter to dress any specific way for everyday wear, but I would require she meet me halfway for a formal affair, like attending a wedding.

I might not insist she wear a dress, but she would wear more appropriate clothing. For example, she would have to wear a suit, not just a dress shirt and a tie.

There are many women's pants suits that look masculine. I'm sure we could find a middle ground.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:25 PM

970 posts, read 1,747,332 times
I see nothing wrong with a girl/woman wearing a nice shirt, pants, and a tie instead of a dress, so no objections here.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 PM

15,308 posts, read 16,867,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I see nothing wrong with a girl/woman wearing a nice shirt, pants, and a tie instead of a dress, so no objections here.
But why would a woman want to wear a tie. Most men hate them.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
But why would a woman want to wear a tie. Most men hate them.
Because some women like ties? I'm not a tie wearer myself but I could care less what "most men" think of my clothing. I dress to make myself and my husband happy, not other men I meet.

Besides, this thread is about parents and their teenage daughters. How many parents are going to tell their 15 year olds "Sorry, you can't wear that; it's not attractive to men."

Old 12-15-2010, 10:42 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,803,744 times
It would not bother me if my daughter dressed like that. I'm far more concerned with what is going on in my kids heads and hearts than what the exterior looks like. Forcing a girl to dress more feminine is such a subjective thing anyway.

By the way, if my teenage daughter was wearing men's suits, and buzzing her hair, I'd say it's time for ma and pa to get with the program, and have some meaningful discussions with their daughter. Just sayin'!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,705,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
Besides, this thread is about parents and their teenage daughters. How many parents are going to tell their 15 year olds "Sorry, you can't wear that; it's not attractive to men."
I think she meant most men don't like to wear ties themselves but are forced to wear them but is perplexed because her daughter wants to wear them.

To answer the question. No, forcing a teenager to dress a certain way would be futile. For a formal occasion, make sure she dresses neatly and forgoes jeans, but forcing her into a 'costume' that she doesn't feel right in just so you will be more comfortable seems cruel. This just isn't an important enough issue for you to alienate your child over.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I think she meant most men don't like to wear ties themselves but are forced to wear them but is perplexed because her daughter wants to wear them.

To answer the question. No, forcing a teenager to dress a certain way would be futile. For a formal occasion, make sure she dresses neatly and forgoes jeans, but forcing her into a 'costume' that she doesn't feel right in just so you will be more comfortable seems cruel. This just isn't an important enough issue for you to alienate your child over.
Haha, that makes a lot more sense! Thanks for clarifying.

And definitely + rep for your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting