U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Status: "Anarchy breeds contempt and leads to chaos" (set 12 days ago)

714 posts, read 884,302 times

Advertisements

After being around kids for many years and now at that age of grandparenthood (Don't even know if thats a word) I marvel at the names used to address the old grandees such as:

Grandpa
Gramps
Pop Pop

I've heard of:
Pappadaddy
Granddaddy

My owned grandkids version: P-Pop - thought that unique.

Guess its better than:
Stoneage Daddy
Papa Ben
Old Man Norm
or least of all: On his way out Dad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,266,644 times
I'm a fan of any names that come from the kids not be able to pronounce the chosen moniker when .they are first learning to speak. I think it's so cute and always reminds you of when they first learned to speak. For example my son calls my mom ab-we which comes from him not being able to pronounce abuelita (grandma in Spanish).

Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 PM

175 posts, read 692,555 times
Step dad said poppy or P-paw

Momma said Big Daddy

I said Pawpaw

For Grandmothers I've heard

Grandma/w
g-maw
me-maw
nana
Big Momma
Grammie

I called mine Grandma or Leona-My pawpaw's name was Leonard but only Leona fit on the caller ID and it was always her calling LOL

Old 12-18-2010, 07:14 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,298,066 times
My kids call my husband's parents just Grandma and Grandpa. On my side they have Mom-Mom and Poppy, and my step-mom is Grammy.

When I was a kid I just used Grandma _First Name_ which seems so much more boring!

Old 12-18-2010, 07:22 AM

12 posts, read 18,827 times
When we first had our son I asked each set of grandparents what they wanted to be called. my In-Laws wanted "granny" and "Granddad" it took aong time to get used to that because to me Grannys were old and my mother in law was not...lol

My own parents went with Nanny and poppa... Again found this strnage as i called my own grand parents garandma and grandpa. My oldest Son is only 6 so I hope i have at leaset 20 years before I learn what I will be called...

Old 12-18-2010, 09:47 AM

4,480 posts, read 8,884,556 times
We have always called my mom's mom Grandma and my Dad's Mom Nana, and his father Papa. Though toward the end we called him Grandpa sometimes. I only had one grandpa for the majority of my life so there was never any confusion.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:51 AM

15,849 posts, read 31,493,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Barnes View Post
After being around kids for many years and now at that age of grandparenthood (Don't even know if thats a word) I marvel at the names used to address the old grandees such as:

Grandpa
Gramps
Pop Pop

I've heard of:
Pappadaddy
Granddaddy

My owned grandkids version: P-Pop - thought that unique.

Guess its better than:
Stoneage Daddy
Papa Ben
Old Man Norm
or least of all: On his way out Dad
Here in the Ozarks MeeMaw and PeePaw are tremendously popular.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-18-2010, 07:13 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,181,634 times
There's also an ethnic component.

My grandparents are mostly Irish, so it's Grandma and Grandad (it should be Granddad, but we don't use that spelling) as used in the British Isles.

Grandad is half-German, so he called his German side Oma and Opa.

The American-Scandinavian community will use "farfar" and "beste-far/mor". If I were a grandparent, I'd like to be "Best Mom/Dad."

A francophone friend from NJ used grand pere.

Just some examples.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:07 PM

43,012 posts, read 96,029,472 times
My family was very straight forward with naming grandparents.

Mom's parents were Grandmother and Grandfather.

Dad's parents were Grandma and Grandpa.

My children didn't have grandparents so we never had to select grandparent names for our children to use.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:16 PM

43,012 posts, read 96,029,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
My grandparents are mostly Irish, so it's Grandma and Grandad (it should be Granddad, but we don't use that spelling) as used in the British Isles.
I don't think those are Irish names.

My mother's parents were both 100% Irish, straight off the boat as children.

We called them Grandmother and Grandfather.

If you look up Irish names for grandparents, none of your names or my names are listed.

Mór? Críonna? or Sean? — Grandparents By Any Other Name! | Irish Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or