U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 05:33 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,676,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Txt,
Do you know these people? Well? Are they financially able to handle their 1/3 + utilities? Do you work the same hours? Are their lifestyles compatible with yours? Do they go to college, so they'll need study time, also? In a sense, you almost have to "interview" people for room mates. You do NOT want to end up living with someone who can't or won't come up with their share of bank...and you don't want someone you can't trust to leave your stuff alone. Also, everything you need from a room mate, you should be prepared to be held under scrutiny as well, eh? GET THINGS IN WRITING! Like Hope said, if you do this, make sure that you don't burn your bridges with the folks you're babysitting for. You may need that extra $10/hr, down the road.

The utilities in apartment complexes in co are dirt cheap.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:27 PM

21,142 posts, read 22,123,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Not necessarily. Depends on the apartment. Some are included, some aren't. Some complexes are older and have less insulation etc and some are newer. You really can't paint with such a broad brush. Each situation is different. Txt, you need to look at how the lease is worded and what it means for each person if another one bails for any reason. Will you be able to keep babysitting or will they dump you if you move out? Read the lease carefully and understand what you are signing. Once you sign a lease, you are obligating yourself to paying rent for the term of the lease. Even if you lose your job, even if someone moves out, even if...even if you get into the police academy and can no longer work the two jobs it will take you to make all your payments.....it is a binding contract. They can and will sue you for the balance if you default (now, they are obligated to try to re lease it but if they can't or can't for the same amount of money, you are obligated to the balance. If you don't pay it, then your credit will be ruined. And bad credit looks bad on a job application. Especially ones where they want to be extra sure you aren't susceptible to...shall we say "nontraditional" income). Be smart. Know what you are getting yourself into before jumping this time.

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-22-2010 at 06:48 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 06:54 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,346,221 times
txt:

Puleeeeeeeze, for the love of all that is good on Earth, listen to your cybermoms!!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:13 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,033,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
txt:

Puleeeeeeeze, for the love of all that is good on Earth, listen to your cybermoms!!
Definitely, listen to your cybermoms this time! Go slowly! Take your time!

Analyze all possible scenarios and make sure you can be prepared, emotionally and financially, for the worst case scenarios.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Why am I imagining a thread, two or three months from now...."Sooooo, one of my roommates moved out and now I'm stuck with paying 1/2 the rent and utilities instead of just 1/3! My other roommate is thinking about moving in with her BF (he's so cute - cooks her eggs in the morning)but I can't afford it because I can only work 30 hours a week at BB&B and I'm no longer babysitting and can't find another job that I can schedule around my current job! And my old employers shut off my cellphone. My phone is only compatible with a plan that is $70/month because of the data plan it requires! And I'll need a huge deposit even for that....I'm also already a month behind on my car payment, but at least that won't ruin my credit. Did I mention I finally got the tattoo/additional piercing I wanted...It's sooooo cool. I put it on my brand new credit card. It's quite a deal because I only have to pay like $25 minimum per month...."

Please txt. We're begging. Do not put us through this. Many of us already have plenty of gray hair....

Old 12-22-2010, 07:34 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,322,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Why am I imagining a thread, two or three months from now...."Sooooo, one of my roommates moved out and now I'm stuck with paying 1/2 the rent and utilities instead of just 1/3! My other roommate is thinking about moving in with her BF (he's so cute - cooks her eggs in the morning)but I can't afford it because I can only work 30 hours a week at BB&B and I'm no longer babysitting and can't find another job that I can schedule around my current job! And my old employers shut off my cellphone. My phone is only compatible with a plan that is $70/month because of the data plan it requires! And I'll need a huge deposit even for that....I'm also already a month behind on my car payment, but at least that won't ruin my credit. Did I mention I finally got the tattoo/additional piercing I wanted...It's sooooo cool. I put it on my brand new credit card. It's quite a deal because I only have to pay like $25 minimum per month...."

Please txt. We're begging. Do not put us through this. Many of us already have plenty of gray hair....

Couldn't rep you. Cooks her eggs. Classic.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:41 PM

Additional things to consider....

Remember you will now be paying for laundry too...
"Cable ready" is not the same as cable included. Are you all on the same page with what/if you can (or most likely cannot) afford WRT cable or internet services? You do realize it's possible to live without cable?
Heat and A/C can get pricey - consider which direction your windows face...and which floor you are on. That kind of stuff can make a difference in utilities.

Who gets the "master bedroom" - do they pay the same as everyone else?

How do you handle it when someone's friend or boyfriend "temporarily" stays...for a few months. Utilities go up and now you're also paying his share too....

You may be required to pay "renters insurance"....if something happens to your stuff, the apartment complex is usually not liable...it's your problem.

These are all the kind of things that really happen. Make sure you are aware of all this.

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-22-2010 at 07:52 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,033,856 times
Quote:

LMAO! I tried to rep you! Damn funny stuff there! You should take your show on the road! You'd make a fortune!

Quote:
Are you all on the same page with what/if you can (or most likely cannot) afford WRT cable or internet services? You do realize it's possible to live without cable?
THAT should knock some sense into her! She'll never go without cable!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:19 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,911,894 times
Maciesmom I also tried to rep you, that was spot on!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:09 AM

5,944 posts, read 6,383,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You'll still have 1/3 of the utilities. But $350 plus utilities is in the same ballpark of your current arrangement. The difference is you would be independent. When you're not working you would be in your own place dealing with roommate issues, not employer issues. It's worth considering. Just keep in mind that you will need to get a second job in addition to your BBB job. And don't burn bridges with your current nanny employer---they might want to still use you for occassional PAID babysitting when in a crunch.
Utilities are included in that price for the apartment we are looking at.
Ill be a live out nanny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Txt,
Do you know these people? Well? Are they financially able to handle their 1/3 + utilities? Do you work the same hours? Are their lifestyles compatible with yours? Do they go to college, so they'll need study time, also? In a sense, you almost have to "interview" people for room mates. You do NOT want to end up living with someone who can't or won't come up with their share of bank...and you don't want someone you can't trust to leave your stuff alone. Also, everything you need from a room mate, you should be prepared to be held under scrutiny as well, eh? GET THINGS IN WRITING! Like Hope said, if you do this, make sure that you don't burn your bridges with the folks you're babysitting for. You may need that extra $10/hr, down the road.
Yes I know them and I know them pretty well too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
And included in the price.

Quote:
Not necessarily. Depends on the apartment. Some are included, some aren't. Some complexes are older and have less insulation etc and some are newer. You really can't paint with such a broad brush. Each situation is different. Txt, you need to look at how the lease is worded and what it means for each person if another one bails for any reason. Will you be able to keep babysitting or will they dump you if you move out? Read the lease carefully and understand what you are signing. Once you sign a lease, you are obligating yourself to paying rent for the term of the lease. Even if you lose your job, even if someone moves out, even if...even if you get into the police academy and can no longer work the two jobs it will take you to make all your payments.....it is a binding contract. They can and will sue you for the balance if you default (now, they are obligated to try to re lease it but if they can't or can't for the same amount of money, you are obligated to the balance. If you don't pay it, then your credit will be ruined. And bad credit looks bad on a job application. Especially ones where they want to be extra sure you aren't susceptible to...shall we say "nontraditional" income). Be smart. Know what you are getting yourself into before jumping this time.
These are included.if they'd dump me if I moved out then I wouldn't move out.

Quote:

That's not going to happen. First of all I wouldn't go a day without a phone I'd go get a prepaid, I don't want a credit card and tattoos are not for me unless its "to protect and serve" in latin somewhere hidden. Annnndddddddd I'm not stupid, paying the minimun will ********* over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
LMAO! I tried to rep you! Damn funny stuff there! You should take your show on the road! You'd make a fortune!

THAT should knock some sense into her! She'll never go without cable!
Its been like idk...aybe two months since I've actually really watched tv, last thing I wastched was the fresh beats band show with the little girl.
I never watch tv anymore cause its not hooked up in my room and om and it'll be 75 to get it hooked up in there...

Oh and one thing I can't live without is internet, which is currently out at the nanny house due to remodeling which hopefully is hooked back up before they leave tomorrow for 10 days, 10 days alone and with no internet besides on the kittle screen on my phone....omfg...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or