U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,654,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No, slambango said the parents can't see him SEXting at the dinner table, which is why he likes it so much.

Do you really find it a "plus" to know that your beloved child is whacking off with one hand while stuffing a forkful of brussels sprouts in her mouth with the other hand?

I'm not sure which is worse: kids with cell phones, or parents with cell phones. It seems neither of the categories have any cognizance of the world around them.
oops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 03:49 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times
You don't have to be whacking off to be sexting.

Sexting is originally sending nekkid pics via text and it extends to basically cybering via text message but you don't have to be whacking off.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:39 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,719,242 times
I text more than I talk. I like how you can text anytime, and keep it straight to the point. You can cut-out the smalltalk or chit-chat if you want and it's not considered rude. You can text in situations where you might not be able to talk - bad weather, noisy place, windy streets, the library or bookstore, school, etc.

I like how others cannot hear your side of the conversation, so sometimes texting is more private. It's also useful for texting lists and reminders - no need to jot these things down on a piece of paper or whatnot - it's saved in your texts. My kids text me their friends parents numbers and friends houses addresses if I don't have them already and it's so great that it's stored right in my phone and with me at all times. My kids also text me to let me know they get to their friends houses OK or to school OK (they ride their bikes everywhere). It's easier for them than calling.

My husband and I text more than we talk. Sometimes we don't want the kids to hear what we're saying, and when he's at work he doesn't have to worry about his boss or coworkers listening in on our conversations.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:45 AM

5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times
I love the privacy of texting. When I was still at home almost anytime I actually talked on the phone my mom would always be like so what about this that was said etc etc abd like she couldn't do that if I was texting.

I just checked my billing cycle and I sent something like 10000 text last month.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:56 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,633,393 times
Have you seen the spelling and grammar these kids use? It isn't just when they're texting either. It is now how they write.

Kind of sad when you see a family in a restaurant and the mother is texting, the kids are texting, instead of conversing with the people right across from them. It is a very common sight.

I don't feel the need to be constantly connected. I also think it is quite rude when people are in line at the grocery store and they can't converse with the cashier, because they're too busy texting.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:00 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,633,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Kids have been daydreaming/not paying attention in school for centuries. Same thing to me.
No it is different now. There is a lack of social skills among many young people today in their teens and early 20s.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:40 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No it is different now. There is a lack of social skills among many young people today in their teens and early 20s.
That has more to do with helicopter parents who won't let Little Snowflake out of their sight vs. texting.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:44 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,698,804 times
Quote:
That has more to do with helicopter parents who won't let Little Snowflake out of their sight vs. texting.
I think it's a potent combination of the two.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:46 AM

852 posts, read 1,135,419 times
Quote:
I completely agree re: the helicopter parents, but I also think that texting plays a part. Coincidentally or not, when my college students are texting during class, they are frequently texting their mothers.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:13 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,541,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Just wondering if any parents can make sense of this trend, because I sure can't.

All kinds of people in this generation are obsessed with 'texting'. My two oldest boys, 13 and 16, are pretty big texters themselves.

That being said, I have yet to understand the purpose of it. I've tried it and, to me, it was very time-consuming and tedious. I could've called someone and finished a conversation by the time it took me to type an single thought on the phone. Not to mention, it's also very dangerous - its been said texting while driving is just as bad as drunk driving.

Call me old-fashioned; When I was growing up, we didn't have ringtones, or keyboard phones, and the whole concept of sending text through phones probably wasn't even dreamed up yet.

Would anyone care to explain the appeal of 'texting', and what makes it so much better than a phone call?
I agree....I've never texted in my life....my cell phone plan doesn't include texting......even my phone is just a basic flip phone....no camera, internet, keyboard, "apps," etc. To me, its just easier to dial a number and talk to someone rather than typing some horribly-misspelled messages back and forth on a tiny keyboard.

Poor spelling is a pet peeve of mine, and it seems that spelling, as well as grammar, are going down the toilet with texting and all of the stupid abbreviations....and it seems to carry over into texters' lives, they always seem to write/type in "texting language." And its not just kids anymore, even people I know in their late 20s and older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting