U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:38 AM

1,411 posts, read 2,004,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I don't know what I would say, as I am not gay. However, if you are gay they probably do know. Most people know before that person comes out to them. As Catholics, my husband and I would still love our gay children. The Church doesn't hate gays. The Church says that being involved in homosexual intercourse is a mortal sin, just as pre-marital sex is.
This post is quite accurate. A problem arises: involuntary celibacy will leave a normal, sexual human feeling some combination of unfulfilled, undesired, unnatural, abnormal, and depressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 01:20 AM

4,271 posts, read 4,990,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
This post is quite accurate. A problem arises: involuntary celibacy will leave a normal, sexual human feeling some combination of unfulfilled, undesired, unnatural, abnormal, and depressed.
Not necessarily. There are actually a lot of Catholics who live with same sex attraction and do act on their attractions. Most of these people are extremely fulfilled in their lives. Everyone has a cross to bear, and some people just have a bigger one than others.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,732,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Not necessarily. There are actually a lot of Catholics who live with same sex attraction and do act on their attractions. Most of these people are extremely fulfilled in their lives. Everyone has a cross to bear, and some people just have a bigger one than others.
If they don't act on their attractions, what do they do? Does that mean they can never have an intimate relationship with another person and remain alone their whole lives?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic but I'm finding it hard to believe you can live a truly fulfilled life if you basically ignore such an important part of it.

(I'm assuming you meant they do not act)

Old 12-21-2010, 09:06 AM

729 posts, read 1,379,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Does that mean they can never have an intimate relationship with another person and remain alone their whole lives?
That's what nuns and priests do...*supposedly*

Old 12-21-2010, 01:55 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,004,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
That's what nuns and priests do...*supposedly*
The difference is the "voluntary" clause of their celibacy.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:10 PM

196 posts, read 151,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter 1 View Post
Hey
It only hit me this year that I'm a Gay Man. And I need your help on how to tell a family which is all in the Church.

I'm just wondering how to tell my family members that I am a Gay Catholic. My Family is very Catholic and some of my family members is in the Church. My Uncle is a Preist so that make it's harder.
Catholic I know it's againist the rules Ive need some advice from the million + memeber on city data.

What's your advice? If you were me then what will you tell them.
A gay catholic?

Why on Earth would you choose to identify with a group who believes you will be tortured until the END OF TIME for being gay?

Don't tell them. Stay in the closet. It's worked fine up until now. Trust me, they WON'T understand.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:44 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,262,696 times
what can anyone say really? you are who you are and you can either hide it forever or be true to yourself.
if they are true believers they will know that God created you just like he created everyone else. as they are taught to love one another as they love God, they should do the same for you. the fact that you are their son/nephew/grandson/uncle/etc, should only make them continue to love and support you. they may be angry or sad or perhaps their dreams for you are not what they expected. they will just have to learn to live with it.
better to have the person you love in your life just the way they are, than to never see them again just because they dont live up to what you would like them to be.
easier said than done, i know. but i have seem what it can do to a person who comes out--it has not been pretty and it has ruined all of their lives for the simple fact that they cannot bring themselves to support the person in question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or