U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:30 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,655,428 times

Advertisements

Is it really forcing ?
maybe mom or dad think they are doing the 'right' thing. But kids get tired. Cripes I get tired especially at a shopping mall full of clothes shops. maybe we need santa at the hardware store. Dads would be more relaxed.

The same tantrums can happen at all sorts of special events. Just when you want little 2yo to be happy, they run out of be nice juice and start running on wild out of control juice and all they need is a sleep. Perhaps you need to have a bright green blanket for them to sleep on and while they are happily asleep, you snap a few photos and then photo shop them onto santa, world tour, driving a 747. you name it, bubs was there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 PM

729 posts, read 1,378,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I think that there are far worse things you can force children to do - like dressing up for Halloween as a newborn. Granted there were some Elves and Santa babies in line...so maybe that isn't much different.
Heh, a friend of mine who had a baby this past September dressed him up for Halloween as the Baby Jesus and she and her husband went as Mary and Joseph. Which I personally thought was a little weird, but it worked for them.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:46 AM

29,613 posts, read 31,923,958 times
I have a pic of my daughter crying with the Easter Bunny. It's been over 20 years, I don't know why I did it. I guess I figured why have kids if I can't take funny pics of them with holiday characters? Hahahaha.

I also have one of me at age 3 on a pony looking none too happy. That's how my parents had fun.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:21 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,036,593 times
I was hoping for a Santa pic for our Christmas card this year with my three kids (2.9 year old twins and 9 months old). None of them wanted to (older two hid behind me, baby started crying as soon as I handed her over, so I took her right back), and I am not going to make them... there are some things worth fighting for/ enforcing, and some that aren't. I don't think crying kids are cute or funny. Plus, I always tell my kids that they do not have to kiss/ hug anyone they do not want to, and I feel it is important to be consistent with that, even if it is Santa.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:23 AM

2,178 posts, read 7,801,220 times
A parent having a crying, scared, kid sit on Santa's lap is for the parents own selfish benefit of getting a pic and then thinking being afraid of someone in a big red suit is funny.
Not funny at all. It doesn't do anything for the kid but scare him/her to give Mom and Dad a laugh.
I have a problem with that.
Wait until they are old enough to understand Santa is nothing to be afraid of and WANT to sit on his lap and tell him what they want for Christmas.
Untill that time comes, I don't believe in subjecting them to a frightening experience so the parents can get their chuckles and what they think is a cute pic at the expense of a frightened child.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:44 AM

2,187 posts, read 6,582,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
A parent having a crying, scared, kid sit on Santa's lap is for the parents own selfish benefit of getting a pic and then thinking being afraid of someone in a big red suit is funny.
Not funny at all. It doesn't do anything for the kid but scare him/her to give Mom and Dad a laugh.
I have a problem with that.
Wait until they are old enough to understand Santa is nothing to be afraid of and WANT to sit on his lap and tell him what they want for Christmas.
Untill that time comes, I don't believe in subjecting them to a frightening experience so the parents can get their chuckles and what they think is a cute pic at the expense of a frightened child.
I think that is a bit overkill...it isn't like the kid is being baptized and forced into a religion that they don't have the choice whether to believe in or not.

It is just a picture, and I think all parents hope that it turns out. But, when it doesn't they just learn to look at the funny side of things. It is not cruel, is not some evil ritual, or something to concern yourself with. Parents can be so judgemental of others. But, frankly what they want to do with their kids is no ones business but their own. I have a problem with people thinking that they are the authority of parenting for everyone and that the only reason a kid is crying a picture is because they are scared of something. Could it not be that they missed naptime in line? Frankly, there are many reasons that a child won't sit still.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,657,034 times
I think these pictures have the same bent as those who feature kids with spaghetti faces, kids having a tantrum, etc. Sometimes it's just funny.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,757,144 times
I have a photo of my son crying on Santa's lap. We didn't do it because we KNEW he'd cry: we waited in line a long time, he was VERY excited to see Santa -- right up to the moment it was our turn. I admit, I thought that once he sat down he'd be happy; Santa's a nice guy, right? And after all, my son HAD been talking about Santa for the past month. In any case, we now have a classic crying Santa photo, and I do think it's a funny reminder of that experience -- not because he's crying, but because the whole package experience, from pre-Santa to post-Santa. He was off and on Santa's lap in hardly any time, stopped crying shortly, and spent the rest of the holiday season talking about how much he loved Santa, and he still loves that photo.

I wouldn't force a kid to go see Santa who doesn't want to from the beginning, but I bet that the majority of crying kids think it's a great idea until the very last minute. I can understand why parents would want that photo, crying or not, after a long, long wait in the line, especially with kids who have been talking up how much they want to see Santa. This year we tried, my son cried again, and we just got the candy cane and left, so no photo, crying or not, this time (I think he was more afraid of the camera than he was of Santa, actually). But I don't think it's fair to label parents who have photos of crying kids with Santa as bad parents who get their kicks out of scaring their kids. Most probably bring their kids there expecting -- or at least hoping -- that the kids will actually enjoy the experience.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:17 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,137,021 times
I have yet to take my child to see Santa for the reason that he is too young to understand. We once went to Toys R Us to see Brobee from Yo Gabba Gabba and he freaked. Never again. I think when they are a bit older and a bit more understanding then I see the purpose. I do understand that when parents bring their child to see Santa or any other character it is with the best intentions. I don't believe that parents are forcing their child just for the sake of wanting to see them cry and scream.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 AM

196 posts, read 151,307 times
Kids want to sit home & play, or go out & have fun. Shopping malls are NOT fun. Waiting in line is NOT fun. Take a kid to the mall, make him wait in line - that's about enough to do it right there.

Kids who are normally wary of strangers are suddenly asked to sit with the strangest looking man they've ever seen, no wonder they're upset.

Parents do this out of selfishness. They want the photos, period. Who cares if the kid likes it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or