U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:50 PM

22,770 posts, read 25,202,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Why would you even ask?
Well, I figured that it was better than ignoring it completely, which is the alternative. Going to the state is not an alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Then it all comes down to how much you really care.
It isn't so much that I deeply care for the mom or the child; I care about them as much as a stranger on the street. It is more that I think this girl has the potential to leave this behind, and she seems to be throwing out the 'cry for help'.

Quote:
She's an addict and needs help.
i have no reason to believe that she is addicted.

Last edited by le roi; 12-22-2010 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 02:54 PM

834 posts, read 2,198,776 times
Breastfeeding is not quite like when you're pregnant that all you drink/eat essentially goes straight to the baby. So if you drink a beer, you don't necessarily have to pump/dump. Anyway..I definitely think it's unsafe for the mom to be taking Oxycontin and doing those other things while breastfeeding. All those drugs have warnings to talk to a doctor if you are breastfeeding...but I guess this is something that mom will not do.

I would politely ask her to see if her Doc OK'd those drugs (most likely the answer would be NO or dismiss you all together) but it may be worth trying.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:01 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,032,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
I would politely ask her to see if her Doc OK'd those drugs (most likely the answer would be NO or dismiss you all together) but it may be worth trying.
I think it is safe to assume the Dr. didn't OK the addition of alcohol and weed to the use of Oxycontin.

As I and others have already stated, this is abuse. There is no getting around that. If the mother is using now, then most likely she was using while pregnant. The child deserves better.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:02 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,346,221 times
Obviously you care or you wouldn't have posted this. The mom is a druggie. The baby is and will be paying the price. I'd be shocked if she listens to a couple of friends and suddenly changes her ways. She may be college educated but either she doesn't have a lick of sense or she's stoned more than you think or are willing to admit. Was she using whle she was pregnant? My guess is yes. How sure are you that she isn't using anything else? The baby needs to be tested for the drugs in it's system, HIV and Hep C. ASAP.

I've seen addicted babies and I've known mothers who use. It's horrendous.

Report her.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:37 PM

345 posts, read 402,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Well, I figured that it was better than ignoring it completely, which is the alternative. Going to the state is not an alternative.

Why not?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:43 PM

2,788 posts, read 4,240,183 times
Quote:
I need some advice from parents.

I know a woman, about 26, who has a newborn baby girl. The mother is college educated and fairly intelligent, but she is irresponsible, naive, undisciplined, and generally unprepared to be a mother.

While she is nursing, she is taking painkillers like Oxycontin, and smoking weed, and drinking beer.

Common sense dictates that this is bad for the child, although I'm not a doctor, so I don't know if the risk is mild, moderate, or severe.

Anyway, if you cared for the welfare of the little girl, and wanted to talk some sense into the mom to persuade her that she's making a big mistake, how would you do it? What would you say, how would you frame the issue? Or just in general - would you get involved at all?

I'm a little out of my element when it comes to babies in general, much less other peoples' babies.

Invite her out for coffee or tea. Let her know you care about her well being and the babies and you dont want either of them to be harmed in any way.
Are you involved with her romantically??

Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,032,108 times
Quote:
i have no reason to believe that she is addicted.
She's mixing alcohol and other drugs with pain killers.

Why is going to the state not an option? If you think that the mother is "crying for help," they have the resources to help her. Contrary to popular belief social services isn't out to take kids away permanently. The goal is to reunite the family.

By knowing that abuse is going on and not doing anything about it, you are as guilty as the mother.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:25 PM

22,770 posts, read 25,202,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The baby needs to be tested for the drugs in it's system, HIV and Hep C. ASAP.
Why would the baby need to be tested for HIV and Hepatitis C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
She's mixing alcohol and other drugs with pain killers.
I don't know for a fact that she's mixing them, or that she's addicted. I've been told that she's used each of them at least once while nursing.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 PM

6,221 posts, read 7,405,156 times
Quote:
meh

Old 12-22-2010, 05:03 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,018,139 times
Many people are making assumptions that she's an addict. Having a beer each day isn't an addict. Smoking marijuana every few days isn't an addict. Taking prescription pills a couple times a week isn't an addict. Addicts look for their next fix before they finished what they already have. They're doing it all the time, not once and then going days before doing it again.

That said, you really don't have enough information to know if she's an addict or abusing her child or not. She might not be breastfeeding all the time.

How much is she drinking beer per day? Some breastfeeding mothers drink one beer per day to promote breastmilk. It's okay to do so as long as the mother doesn't breastfeed within a few hours after drinking a beer. Alcohol and nursing moms | BabyCenter

There isn't enough studies on marijuana on breastfeeding. My concern is that marijuana stays in the system for 30 to 60 or even 90 days for heavy users. Here's an article that discusses recommendations about marijuana and breastfeeding. Marijuana and Breastfeeding Second hand smoke, decreased milk supply, and the caregiver being in a hallucinegenic state are sited as risks among some others.

The oxy is concerning. It's a highly addictive drug---unlike marijuana and beer for those who aren't predisposed to addiction. ANYONE can become addicted to oxy, even people are predisposed to addiction. But this article states that occassional oxy use presents minimal risk to breastfeeding children. Oxycodone and Breastfeeding

She would need to have prescriptions for marijuana and oxy for CPS to consider her usage not abuse. Do you know if she is a prescription marijuana user? Do you know if she has a prescription for oxy?

I don't recommend approaching the mother about this. If you or your girlfriend are concerned and feel that her usage is illegal and abusive, call CPS and let the authorities make the determination. If she doesn't have prescriptions, she'll do what she needs to do to clean out her system and stay away from nonprescribed drugs while breastfeeding if she wants to keep her child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting