U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:06 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,928,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I'm not sure. I'm fairly certain she drinks beer every day, she probably smokes weed every other day or so, and she takes Oxy once or twice per week.
How did it go from this to maybe she did it one time once people started telling you that you have a responsibility to help this baby? Are you trying to make yourself feel better about looking the other way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 01:40 PM

22,770 posts, read 25,317,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
How did it go from this to maybe she did it one time once people started telling you that you have a responsibility to help this baby? Are you trying to make yourself feel better about looking the other way?
like i said, i'm not sure.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:39 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,485,383 times
Quote:
... some of the answers, while coming from a good and caring place, also make assumptions that are not known or not true.
I'm wondering how old you are and how much experience you've had dealing with people that are not exactly model citizens. I tend to think the worst when I hear "nursing" and "Oxycotin" because I've seen the dregs of society on the street level. Families ruined. Addicted babies. Neglected children. Mothers who sleep with their suppliers while their kids are right there taking it all in.

The kids always pay when the parents screw up their own lives. I guess I'm tired of seeing it and knowing it happens. If you don't like that some of us have made assumptions I can accept that. But I hope you are seriously looking into just how much dope this mother is doing and will step in if there IS a problem. And it sure sounds like there is. That child deserves a chance at a decent life.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:36 PM

6,244 posts, read 7,448,872 times
Quote:
I need some advice from parents.

I know a woman, about 26, who has a newborn baby girl. The mother is college educated and fairly intelligent, but she is irresponsible, naive, undisciplined, and generally unprepared to be a mother.

While she is nursing, she is taking painkillers like Oxycontin, and smoking weed, and drinking beer.

Common sense dictates that this is bad for the child, although I'm not a doctor, so I don't know if the risk is mild, moderate, or severe.

Anyway, if you cared for the welfare of the little girl, and wanted to talk some sense into the mom to persuade her that she's making a big mistake, how would you do it? What would you say, how would you frame the issue? Or just in general - would you get involved at all?

I'm a little out of my element when it comes to babies in general, much less other peoples' babies.
This is your OP. You unequivocally state that she is taking, smoking and drinking.

Now you're backpedaling and altering your story.

I cannot see any point in further dialogue with you. AMF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting