U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:14 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,329,796 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for how to make a 5 hour trip with a now 5 month old that usually ends up taking us 7-8 hours with many stops and my poor wife singing to the baby the whole time? The worst is when he starts crying and is basically inconsolable. Just taking him out of the seat stops his crying. I don't know if he is bored, or uncomfortable or what.

We are moving and going to be back and forth quite a bit, and then will be coming back to visit family.

We are about to get a new baby seat, but not really sure this is going to make the difference. It can't hurt because it's a much nicer seat but still...

I also heard that forward facing makes them happier, but we are 6 months away from that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,064,397 times
Don't turn him forward-facing; that's way too unsafe for a five-month-old!

We drove from CT to PA when my DD was that age, and yeah, it was pretty miserable. She didn't take a paci, even though I tried to get her to.

Can you drive at night? Maybe leave right around his bedtime? Will he feel better if your wife sits in the back with him? Then at least he could see her? Though maybe that will make him more sad/angry because she can't hold him. That age is so tough... too little to just doze off peacefully for all of the hours, but not big enough to play with toys. I wish you luck!

Old 12-24-2010, 07:12 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,954,304 times
We took a 10 hour car trip when my first was 5 months old, and after that I said we are NOT doing that again! She was actually fine on the way up, but by the way back she was so sick of the car and cried a lot. We found that singing to her did alleviate it some, but we couldn't stop singing or else she would start crying again! It was really rough. Also, keep the diaper fresh so baby isn't sitting in wet or worse. That may mean frequent short stops. If baby is sleeping though, just go! Another thing that might help is to get one of those mirrors for his seat so that he can see you in the front. We always use though, and we attach them to the headrest by tying (not just with velcro) so that they don't become a projectile in the case of a crash.

I do agree with the previous poster on driving overnight when baby is more likely to sleep through it. I also agree that your baby is WAY too young to forward-face and please don't consider that. Rear-facing is so much safer, even after that 12 month/20 pound mark when it becomes legal. Rear-face as long as you can! Rear-Facing Carseats and Safety

Old 12-24-2010, 07:29 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,752,364 times
I know it's unconventional because I don't normally suggest having a 5 month old watch tv for entertainment... however, in this case... get a cheap portable DVD player and some Baby Einstein DVDs. I'm not suggesting playing them constantly, but when your little one gets fussy and is really just needing a distraction (ie: Mommy singing)... that would be the time to put one in the player and see what happens.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:35 AM

3,967 posts, read 5,674,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Don't turn him forward-facing; that's way too unsafe for a five-month-old!

We drove from CT to PA when my DD was that age, and yeah, it was pretty miserable. She didn't take a paci, even though I tried to get her to.

Can you drive at night? Maybe leave right around his bedtime? Will he feel better if your wife sits in the back with him? Then at least he could see her? Though maybe that will make him more sad/angry because she can't hold him. That age is so tough... too little to just doze off peacefully for all of the hours, but not big enough to play with toys. I wish you luck!

pfft i had my kids facing forward...no need to wrap a child in bubble wrap for god's sakes.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:56 AM

2,352 posts, read 3,916,826 times
My son *hated* his car seat, hated being in the car, etc. It did all change when we switched to forward-facing. I did that earlier than recommended, at about 9 months, because he was big for his age, and it was like night & day. He was much, much happier. I think 5 months is a little too early, though. They can get very severe neck injuries in an accident if they're forward-facing.

I second (third?) the idea of driving at night if you can, trying out the DVD player (if you can figure out how to strap it to the *back* of the seat), etc. I'm sorry you are having to be in the car so much - basically, we just limited the amount of time he had to be in the car! It was for such a short time (though it didn't seem that way when it was occurring!), that was really the best solution for us.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:00 AM

2,352 posts, read 3,916,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
pfft i had my kids facing forward...no need to wrap a child in bubble wrap for god's sakes.
There's no need to maximize risk, either.
How Long Should My Baby Be in a Rear-Facing Car Seat? Extended Rear-Facing Car Seats

I don't blindly follow guided recommendations - The false belief that co-sleeping is dangerous is heavily influenced by studies done or funded by *crib manufacturers*, for example, but the study cited in that article is non-biased. Car seat manufacturers won't make any more money whether the seat is rear- or front-facing; there's no reason to believe the advice is profit motivated.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:14 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,725,457 times
Quote:
It's not bubblewrap. Infants' heads are not fused on to their necks properly so there's a high risk of internal decapitation if they are flung in a forward facing car seat. A high impact car accident is not the same as a kid falling off of the monkey bars, for god's sakes.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:47 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,514,637 times
Quote:
And I bet you were never in a serious car accident with your fwd facing babies or you'd likely be singing a different tune about "bubble wrap".

Old 12-24-2010, 09:58 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,329,796 times
The seat is a convertible -it goes both ways, so we would not be facing it forwards right now.
It's a Britax Marathon 70 I think.

my wife does actually sit in the back with him the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or