Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 03:59 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
On a funny note...during our trip on Saturday we sat down in a park for a drink an some crazy lady came out of the bushes screaming at Mr.X saying that polygamy is illegal and he was going to burn in hell for walking bout with his three wives meaning, me, my mom and my neice!
Okay - that made me laugh. I think your family could be on a reality show.

I gave up a long time ago hoping my mother would be a better grandparent and be more interested. I just have to accept her for who she is rather than be mad at who she isn't. And tell myself I will not be like that. My sister's and I have made a pact to tell each other if we are headed down that road.

We actually kicked my husband's dad out of the house before. Thankfully we've sort of patched things up, but it took years. Crazy isn't that far removed for us....

Old 01-31-2011, 04:05 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Definitely! Your new southern friends will always be vouching for you. "Can I invite Leavingmassachusetts? She's a Yankee, but she's okay. Give her a chance."
Or to address you, directly: "Y'all ahn't from heah, ah yew?"

Old 01-31-2011, 04:07 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
People who were commenting in this thread about this have lived in many places. Nobody has had the same "social" experience in every city they've lived.

Every city has a different culture. Some areas are a better fit for certain personalities than other areas.
Exactly. And different cities may fit one person better at different points in his/her life, as well.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:22 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,337 times
Thanks for the welcome everyone! It's nice to be here. With the time difference there's always so many posts to catch up on (I get up in the morning at about your mid-afternoon, and go to bed about when the US early risers are stirring, or the late night owls are heading to bed). Right now it's 11.15am here and my brain is finally awake enough to post!

rbk - I actually grew up in the UK, moved to Sydney at age 21 and lived there for 30-something years. A few years ago I moved much further north - still in the same state (NSW) but much closer to the Queensland border. Let's see if Finster can guess approximately where I am!

Dew - eeek re scorpion sting. On my first visit to the US in the dark ages of 1973 on a camping road trip with two girlfriends, we were absolutely paranoid about scorpions! Once we arrived in the 'wild west', we'd scour the ground every night before putting the tent up; then take turns checking every square inch of the tent with a flashlight before turning in for the night. Never saw any though! Here in Aus, we have a million nasty creepy-crawlies (some dangerous, others just damned ugly) but I've never come into intimate contact with any of them thankfully.

Hopes - this resume thing seems to have got quite out-of-hand in recent years. My daughter and her partner have just returned here after spending a few years in the UK - and they've both been sending out resumes almost constantly. When I was last interviewed for a job, all the employer cared about was that you had the right certificates, presented yourself neatly, and had a couple of references saying you'd been a good employee. My daughter tells me that it now takes several hours to put a resume together and each one needs to be tailored to the specific employer, with screeds of info about your competencies in each of any number of areas. I'm glad I started my own one-person business years ago (retired now) and never needed to worry about resumes.

MrsX - I'm sorry you have to deal with so much cr@p with your parents - I know how tiresome it is. Problems with parents is a key reason why I live in Australia and they live in UK!! My difficulties are different from yours - but just as frustrating! You have my sympathies.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:55 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Thanks for the welcome everyone! It's nice to be here. With the time difference there's always so many posts to catch up on (I get up in the morning at about your mid-afternoon, and go to bed about when the US early risers are stirring, or the late night owls are heading to bed). Right now it's 11.15am here and my brain is finally awake enough to post!

rbk - I actually grew up in the UK, moved to Sydney at age 21 and lived there for 30-something years. A few years ago I moved much further north - still in the same state (NSW) but much closer to the Queensland border. Let's see if Finster can guess approximately where I am!

Dew - eeek re scorpion sting. On my first visit to the US in the dark ages of 1973 on a camping road trip with two girlfriends, we were absolutely paranoid about scorpions! Once we arrived in the 'wild west', we'd scour the ground every night before putting the tent up; then take turns checking every square inch of the tent with a flashlight before turning in for the night. Never saw any though! Here in Aus, we have a million nasty creepy-crawlies (some dangerous, others just damned ugly) but I've never come into intimate contact with any of them thankfully.

Hopes - this resume thing seems to have got quite out-of-hand in recent years. My daughter and her partner have just returned here after spending a few years in the UK - and they've both been sending out resumes almost constantly. When I was last interviewed for a job, all the employer cared about was that you had the right certificates, presented yourself neatly, and had a couple of references saying you'd been a good employee. My daughter tells me that it now takes several hours to put a resume together and each one needs to be tailored to the specific employer, with screeds of info about your competencies in each of any number of areas. I'm glad I started my own one-person business years ago (retired now) and never needed to worry about resumes.

MrsX - I'm sorry you have to deal with so much cr@p with your parents - I know how tiresome it is. Problems with parents is a key reason why I live in Australia and they live in UK!! My difficulties are different from yours - but just as frustrating! You have my sympathies.
Byron Bay?

Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
OMG yes it was the Tasty! I worked part time in The Garage too for awhile, do you remember The Coffee Connection?
Trying to remember that but I am not sure. My mom probably would have. She worked for Harvard from 84-92, all over the campus (three different departments/positions) and was a huge coffee drinker. I got my coffee at the convenience store near my school.

I wonder if the coop is still there. I was watching "the Town" the other night and there was a Staples in the Harvard Square scene. It was kind of shocking. I have not been back for almost 19 years so I guess things have changed. My school is no longer there - the building is, its just not my school any more. Kind of sad.

Ohh my online class in poli sci is going to drive me crazy. Its one of those "you cannot work ahead" classes, which is always one of the great benefits of an online course. I can read ahead in the text, and I can start working on my term paper, so I guess I can do that. I just have to remember my Chemistry class (and grade) is more important!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I'm at a loss as to what to do! For the hell of it, I looked at Oil & Gas job advertisements in my region. I have Oil & Gas experience. That's why I decided to look.

Anyone who doesnt know, Pennsylvania has become the latest gold rush for gas drilling.

People are relocating here from Texas because there aren't enough people with Oil & Gas experience to fill the demand.

OMG! The pay is AMAZING for my favorite position in the industry that I left to be a SAHM.

If I applied for these jobs, I know I'd get offers in a heartbeat; however, I'm going to school full time and I won't be done with school until December.

I could go back to work and continue school part-time and finish a year later, or I could wait until the end of the year and hope this hiring boom in the O&G industry is stil strong.

This is an extremely tough decision for me! I'm split right down the middle on it! How do I decide?!?!?!?
I say apply and see what they offer. Unless you are going to school for something completely different, I can't see how getting recent industry experience could hurt you when you are finished with school in the end!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Good, Finster. Had to go to the doctor this morning. I got nailed by a scorpion or a spider or something last evening. The little booger got me on the finger when I was reaching for something in the garage. My gosh the pain and itch were incredible. I didn't have any of the real nasty side effects like frothing at the mouth () that you can get from a scorpion. But what I had was bad enough. Thankfully a double dose of Benadryl and my asthma meds took care of 50% of the symptoms. But wow! An uncomfortable night.

So I went to the doc just to be on the safe side because I'm still wheezy. She said, "Well, something got you good." I may just call it a scorpion sting for the pure drama of it all.

How are you doing?
Ouch! Hope you feel better soon! I was always worried about centipedes where I used to live. Now, here, we apparently get scorpions from time to time....yuck.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:05 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Byron Bay?
Near enough! Slightly inland from Byron Bay. BB prices are way too steep for me - plus the place is so full of backpackers and tourists these days that the traffic is dreadful. My Sydney friends always want me to take them when they visit... so those are the only times I go. Pity really, because there are some great restaurants and nitespots there.

Where did you grow up Finster?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:10 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
FYI: You men need to learn how to communicate. I am not a mind reader and I also don't need you going off on me just because you work with a bunch of jack wagons!

That is all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting