Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 09:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Whatever is holding you back, you must get over it soon. You CAN'T see the movie before reading the book!

Have you tried reading the first few pages? Or haven't you even picked it up?

I just checked the book reviews. It seems like it may be a likable book---if that helps inspire you.
Nope. Haven't even opened it up. I have no idea why I have such a mental block. I'll get to it before we see the movie for sure. We get together to see movies our husbands wouldn't care to see. Then we go to dinner. And talk about how cute the actors were (LOL)...and whether the movie was as good as the book (which it rarely is).

Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I use the kind you do at home and it washes out gradually. It is kind of fun. I was kind of a dark blond naturally, then my hair kept getting darker. I finally decided to go with it and just dye it dark. Unfortunately it doesn't cover the gray very well.
I'm hoping to have fun like that eventually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Nope. Haven't even opened it up. I have no idea why I have such a mental block. I'll get to it before we see the movie for sure.
When is the movie coming out? We'll start kicking you off the forum and telling you to read your book!

Quote:
We get together to see movies our husbands wouldn't care to see. Then we go to dinner. And talk about how cute the actors were (LOL)...and whether the movie was as good as the book (which it rarely is).
My girlfriends and I do the same. We always have a good time.

My husband won't go to the movies. Isn't it funny how men do some things when they date us but not after marrying us?

HA! I guess they say the same about us!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:39 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,718,698 times
Quote:
Oh it absolutely was a play first. But they did not change the lyrics for the movie it's just no one notices because we're singing along and watching the dancing and having fun! LOL
Yeah...ROTFLOL...I remember the first time I realized what they were saying! OMG! Great catchy tune....musical arrangements, too funny though, when you realize what they're saying the girls will do....how the car is a real _______ wagon. Hehe...nasty little song!

Another one that made me blush around the wrong crowd?...Meat Loaf/Bat Out of Hell....... "Pardise by the Dashboard Light"...

Old 02-05-2011, 08:44 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Morning all!

The release date for "Water for Elephants" is April 22, 2011. It stars Robert Pattinson, Reese Witherspoon and Christoph Waltz.

Looks like you all had a splendid chat last night. I'll toss in my beauty secret: Oil of Olay. Third generation user and, though I say it myself, I've got great skin. Especially for my age. I've been using it since I was 16. Obviously the sun here is a killer and it has a great sun block in it. I know a lot of horseback riders and skiiers who swear by it. Plus, it's cheap! I put it on first thing in the morning. Face, neck (neck is important!) and arms and legs if it's shorts weather. And then face and neck after I clean my face at night.

Second secret is sunglasses. As soon as I walk out the door every single day. That way I don't squint and I don't have the crows feet most women my age (creek) have. That's it!

Morning, Beachmel!!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
We need to talk about hair! I had my hair colored for the first time in my life yesterday!

I was a platinum blonde was a child. It turned to an extremely light golden blonde during my teen years. In my 20s, it remained very light and began to get strawberry highlights. It has remained very light colored blonde my entire life, except the under-side right above my became a darker blonde, which you could see when I had it in a pony tail. It was really unique and had lots of light colors in it----golds, reds, coppers----it's like very single strand was a different color.

Anyways, I decided it was time to color it. I was feeling washed out. The grey isn't noticable because it came in as platinum blonde---pure white. People TOLD me that it looked natural, like highlights. But I KNEW it was grey and I felt like I looked all washed out, especially since my skin color has changed through the years. Since everyone assumed I colored it anyways because there are so few natural blondes at my age, I figured it was time to take the plunge.

The hairdresser and I decided to dye it a dark neutral blonde. (Apparently, there is a concern that it will turn yellow if I went with a golden blonde since my hair is already so light). We chose a dark shade because of my skin color has a lot of red in it.

Everyone always tries to have the haircolor I just covered up! I do feel I was getting too old to look good in hair that was that light.

BUT MAN MY HAIR SEEMS SO DARK! It's pretty. It really looks great with my skin color. My green eyes really POP against the darker hair color.

My question is WILL I EVER GET USED TO LOOKING AT MYSELF IN THE MIRROR?
It sounds like we have nearly identical hair color! Oh I just can't do it Hopes!! LOL My ex MIL talked me into going dark brown one time...my ex was FURIOUS! "If he'd have wanted a brunette, he'd have married one!" LOL I tried the highlight route one time, because my hair has a tendency to get blah Jan-Mar, but regretted it horribly come summer time. My hair naturally streaks and highlights like MAD as soon as I start getting outside in the spring. By mid summer, the top layers are extremely blond, with many different colors. Every place I'd put highlights in the late winter...turned snow white! Eeek! The growout the following winter was so horribly tacky. LOL I'll never do that again! I hope you get used to your haircolor. Oh...BTW....green eyes here too!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Morning all!

The release date for "Water for Elephants" is April 22, 2011. It stars Robert Pattinson, Reese Witherspoon and Christoph Waltz.

Looks like you all had a splendid chat last night. I'll toss in my beauty secret: Oil of Olay. Third generation user and, though I say it myself, I've got great skin. Especially for my age. I've been using it since I was 16. Obviously the sun here is a killer and it has a great sun block in it. I know a lot of horseback riders and skiiers who swear by it. Plus, it's cheap! I put it on first thing in the morning. Face, neck (neck is important!) and arms and legs if it's shorts weather. And then face and neck after I clean my face at night.

Second secret is sunglasses. As soon as I walk out the door every single day. That way I don't squint and I don't have the crows feet most women my age (creek) have. That's it!

Morning, Beachmel!!
Yay - plenty of time...ok..I DID pick up the book last night...and even read a few pages....Have to admit...I don't "get" the whole Robert Pattinson thing but...whatever...

I'll second Oil of Olay...I also am fortunate enough to have great skin. Another for sunglasses too. I wasn't smart enough about that until the last 10 years or so. My optometrist told me I'd have damage to my eyes if I didn't start wearing them. I now wear good sunglasses religiously. I have a coworker who was/is a sunworshipper. Her poor skin. Chemical peels, facelift etc...She's not that old and in great shape but isn't good about protecting her skin from the sun.....

Hey Beachmel....going to the grocery store today. Making lasagna. The men will be happy to have something of substance to eat around here. LOL

Old 02-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Morning all!

Morning, Beachmel!!
Good morning DewDrop!! Thanks for the beauty tip! My beauty tip...and something I've been using (if you can FIND it these days)....is Albolene! I love the stuff. An older sister turned me on to it when I was in high school and a tub of the stuff will last YEARS! I also use it as a base for some of my home-made herbal ointments. It's a liquefying cleanser and works better than anything I've ever used for getting eye makeup off. There is absolutely no eye irritation and it only takes the tiniest little bit. It's great for daily use and is a fabulous "under makeup" moisturizer. I can't find it locally, but was able to pick some up at a drug store on Catalina Island a couple of years ago. It's a bit pricey....but again, a jar lasts for years and doesn't go bad on you.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Yay - plenty of time...ok..I DID pick up the book last night...and even read a few pages....Have to admit...I don't "get" the whole Robert Pattinson thing but...whatever...

I'll second Oil of Olay...I also am fortunate enough to have great skin. Another for sunglasses too. I wasn't smart enough about that until the last 10 years or so. My optometrist told me I'd have damage to my eyes if I didn't start wearing them. I now wear good sunglasses religiously. I have a coworker who was/is a sunworshipper. Her poor skin. Chemical peels, facelift etc...She's not that old and in great shape but isn't good about protecting her skin from the sun.....

Hey Beachmel....going to the grocery store today. Making lasagna. The men will be happy to have something of substance to eat around here. LOL
Good morning MM!! Yummmmm lasagna! I bet you're going to have some happy men! I made a pan a couple of weeks ago...LOL, should have made 2! Even though it was a huge pan, they were a bit pouty when they couldn't have more later. LOL Superbowl meal here?....I'm making a couple of racks of BBQd spareribs...the guys are drooling in anticipation! I'll put it together with a big bowl of vegetable laden potato salad. I'll probably do up some chicken quesadillas for appetizers....and some fresh, homemade PB cookies!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Another one that made me blush around the wrong crowd?...Meat Loaf/Bat Out of Hell....... "Pardise by the Dashboard Light"...
Love that song! Part 2, Let Me Sleep On It, puts some innocense back into it!

Quote:
I have a hard time getting into the habit of wearing sunglasses. I guess I should try harder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
It sounds like we have nearly identical hair color! Oh I just can't do it Hopes!! LOL My ex MIL talked me into going dark brown one time...my ex was FURIOUS! "If he'd have wanted a brunette, he'd have married one!" LOL I tried the highlight route one time, because my hair has a tendency to get blah Jan-Mar, but regretted it horribly come summer time. My hair naturally streaks and highlights like MAD as soon as I start getting outside in the spring. By mid summer, the top layers are extremely blond, with many different colors. Every place I'd put highlights in the late winter...turned snow white! Eeek! The growout the following winter was so horribly tacky. LOL I'll never do that again! I hope you get used to your haircolor. Oh...BTW....green eyes here too!
I've highlighted before---on and off a few times in my life. I have had the big chunks of color, just lighly woven through individual strands. Highlights grow out better that way. And you can get lowlights put in to help the highlights grow out more naturally when your hair gets too light.

How your hair looked with those highlights turning white is how my hair ended up looking naturally because my grey is white. It wasn't white in big chunks but the overall hair on the top of my head and around my face became too light and colorless.

I washed it last night and it's looking more natural. Apparently, hair color lightens a big over the first week. I waited as long as I could before washing it so the color would have time to set in. I tried to wait the 48 hours but only lasted 34 hours. I can only go so long before it feels limp and lifeless.

But my hairline itches all around my head---along the edge of my face, neck, behind my ears. My entire hairline! I've got little bumps. I think I was allergic to it or maybe it was on my head too long. I don't know what. Hopefully she can do something to prevent the itching next time.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Love that song! Part 2, Let Me Sleep On It, puts some innocense back into it!

I have a hard time getting into the habit of wearing sunglasses. I guess I should try harder!

I've highlighted before---on and off a few times in my life. I have had the big chunks of color, just lighly woven through individual strands. Highlights grow out better that way. And you can get lowlights put in to help the highlights grow out more naturally when your hair gets too light.

How your hair looked with those highlights turning white is how my hair ended up looking naturally because my grey is white. It wasn't white in big chunks but the overall hair on the top of my head and around my face became too light and colorless.

I washed it last night and it's looking more natural. Apparently, hair color lightens a big over the first week. I waited as long as I could before washing it so the color would have time to set in. I tried to wait the 48 hours but only lasted 34 hours. I can only go so long before it feels limp and lifeless.

But my hairline itches all around my head---along the edge of my face, neck, behind my ears. My entire hairline! I've got little bumps. I think I was allergic to it or maybe it was on my head too long. I don't know what. Hopefully she can do something to prevent the itching next time.
OH ugh... the itching. It makes me think of when I used to do perms! Ugh! So is your hair fine?...with lots of "natural" highlights (sparkly metallic looking hairs)?...silky hair that goes flat right away? Mine is! Grrr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting