Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,743 times

Advertisements

So I got my own cell phone plan today.
I went with t-mobile.
No deposit and they gave me a free blackberry and I have 500 minutes, unlimited texting and 200MB of data all for $59 a month, can't beat that...vs every other company that would charge me upwards of $90.

I just have to tell my mom so she can put another phone on my line so I can be able to use my old blackberry as well, its unlocked so I can easily use it on T-Mobile!

I just felt the need to empower myself with a little bit of financial independence today. Now all my mom provides me is a place to stay, she has nothing to hold over me!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:39 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Now all my mom provides me is a place to stay, she has nothing to hold over me!
You have a lot to learn still

Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 PM

Everyone else- hope everyone had a great weekend. I bought myself a Fitbit and have been spending my online time over at their site tracking my workouts, food and sleep- getting addicting.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 PM

Congrats to your son for joining the military. I wish him the best. As a prior service member, married to a military member and my DH practically has our son signed up for the Army now (mind you he isn't even 4 yet..lol) I can see all sides of the coin of being the one to join and seeing someone leave to join.
It isn't easy for anyone, but it is something for all to be so proud of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Gosh you guys, it's time for my son to leave for bootcamp. We take him up to the airport tormorrow, we're spending the night and he flies out on Wednesday morning, around 5 a.m. I'm such a basket case y'all. DD and I had to run to town today and I went to the card section...trying to hold it together of course. We have a theory, if it makes you laugh til you're about to pee, it's a funny card. If it brings a lump to your throat and tears to your eyes, it's a great sentimental card. Okay...like I said, I was hanging in there....doing fine....until...............

I started reading a card, I opened it up and it had the song, "You'll Be In My Heart" by Phil Collins. Oh CRAP! It's like someone reached in a yanked my heart out! I lost it! DD saw me, she immediatedly started tearing up, we started laughing at each other and then I couldn't stand it. I'm such a freaking dork!! OMG I shoved the card back into the slot and tore out of the aisle, bawling like an idiot! I couldn't STOP! Holy crap! I've been trying so hard to be the tough mom...trying to hold it together for the whole gang and what do I do?... I fall to pieces....right in the middle of Walmart. Wouldn't you know it, I wasn't even done shopping. Of course, I didn't buy the card. I know my son...if it hit me that hard, it would KILL him. It's all ready such a hard thing for him...we're all so very close. We do so many things together as a family...I mean, he's 21, but we're just so close and my 2 year old grandson and him are so very close. I think my son's going to miss him the most.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:49 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,951 times
A little late, but I also loved the Darth Vader Superbowl commercial. So cute!

I have to admit my favorite commercial was the Dorritos one where the guy was supposed to watch the house for his buddy (which he neglected) and he brought everything back to life by sprinkling Dorritos crumbs. Dead fish in goldfish bowl? Poof! Now alive! Dead plant? Poof. And then he knocked over the urn....GRANDPA?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Gosh you guys, it's time for my son to leave for bootcamp. We take him up to the airport tormorrow, we're spending the night and he flies out on Wednesday morning, around 5 a.m. I'm such a basket case y'all. DD and I had to run to town today and I went to the card section...trying to hold it together of course. We have a theory, if it makes you laugh til you're about to pee, it's a funny card. If it brings a lump to your throat and tears to your eyes, it's a great sentimental card. Okay...like I said, I was hanging in there....doing fine....until...............

I started reading a card, I opened it up and it had the song, "You'll Be In My Heart" by Phil Collins. Oh CRAP! It's like someone reached in a yanked my heart out! I lost it! DD saw me, she immediatedly started tearing up, we started laughing at each other and then I couldn't stand it. I'm such a freaking dork!! OMG I shoved the card back into the slot and tore out of the aisle, bawling like an idiot! I couldn't STOP! Holy crap! I've been trying so hard to be the tough mom...trying to hold it together for the whole gang and what do I do?... I fall to pieces....right in the middle of Walmart. Wouldn't you know it, I wasn't even done shopping. Of course, I didn't buy the card. I know my son...if it hit me that hard, it would KILL him. It's all ready such a hard thing for him...we're all so very close. We do so many things together as a family...I mean, he's 21, but we're just so close and my 2 year old grandson and him are so very close. I think my son's going to miss him the most.
Hi beachmel, I have nothing to offer but my thoughts and prayers to you as you see your son go off to serve our Country. To him, I want to say thank you for the continued support of keeping our freedom. I can't imagine how proud you must be of him.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Everyone else- hope everyone had a great weekend. I bought myself a Fitbit and have been spending my online time over at their site tracking my workouts, food and sleep- getting addicting.
I had a great weekend. It was spent with my niece. Man, I love spending time with her. She keeps saying that "she wants a brother or sister." That is her way of telling me she wants us to have a baby. She knows our baby will be her cousin, though.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:11 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Beachmel- been there, done that, have the tshirt....

There is one thing I can say, from being in the military & also being a military wife, that there will be a pride in you that is irreplaceable as well as your son. It is hard to explain, but you will come closer to understanding what I mean by that when he completes his training.

Make sure to send him tons of cards. Mail is by far the best motivator when in training.

I remember our drill sergeants telling us how not to worry about things back home; that nothing back home changes. There was something oddly comforting about that comment.

Most times one cannot come home after Basic, but you will probably be able to talk to him much more after Basic.

I would never want to do BCT or OCS again (b/c honestly, it stinks but it meant too...) BUT, I cannot even start to explain the people I met; the hearts & minds of these men & women who do indeed do a job many would never want be it the Coast Guard, Navy, AF, USMC or USA. A job that many times is thankless, ruthlesss, and neverending. The friends I made; the families I met....NOTHING has ever compared. I always say my years in the military were the best & worst times in my life.

Your son will meet people who will become lifelong companions; who would do anything for him & vice versa. Remember that when you are worried.

It's not easy letting a child go off to BCT. But, he'll be ok. You'll be ok. And come graduation...you'll see how it was all worth it

Thank you so very much for sharing so much with me. Bless you, and again, thank you. He's trying to hold it together....we're all just trying to hold it together right now. LOL

Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,947,270 times
beachmel - sorry I'm a bit late but HUGS to you!

You are very brave. I couldn't do it if it were me. You must be very proud. And I am proud to know you. You go, girlfriend.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:52 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Finster, How did the pot pies come out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting