Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 AM

970 posts, read 2,212,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm jealous of everyone who is getting a taste of spring. It's still cold here. Hubby is pretending it's warm, but it's only a high of 38. That's not warm IMO.
It's been spring here since last year. I could walk outside right now and take pictures of bright blue sky, flowers growing, etc!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Gorgeous day today! Headed to the park with the kids. I went out last night with some girlfriends. So fun! We went to a dualing piano bar.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
rkb - did you go to the one in the DTC or the one downtown? That is so much fun! I keep telling my gf's at work we need to go. The one downtown has Ladies Night. Not sure what it entails but we're hoping that there are discounts involved (since we're all married or attached and have grown kids, discounts is what matters to us)....DH and I just got back from seeing The King's Speech. Wonderful. Loved it. I did feel guilty sitting in a theater on such a lovely day (I didn't even wear a coat) but matinee's are less pricey and less crowded. Doing burgers (veggie for me) and sweet potato fries (baked) for din din tonight.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
rkb - did you go to the one in the DTC or the one downtown? That is so much fun! I keep telling my gf's at work we need to go. The one downtown has Ladies Night. Not sure what it entails but we're hoping that there are discounts involved (since we're all married or attached and have grown kids, discounts is what matters to us)....DH and I just got back from seeing The King's Speech. Wonderful. Loved it. I did feel guilty sitting in a theater on such a lovely day (I didn't even wear a coat) but matinee's are less pricey and less crowded. Doing burgers (veggie for me) and sweet potato fries (baked) for din din tonight.
DTC. They said their tables were reserved for Saturday by Wednesday, but they gave us a booth upstairs with a $30 per person minimum. With drinks at $10-$12 it was no problem reaching that! If I understand right, make your reservation early for a regular table and there is no cover before 7:00.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:59 PM

DH and I went to the one downtown a few weeks ago on a Saturday night. We did have reservations and I think the cover was $7 - no drink minimum (well, none that I was aware of but...not a problem there LOL...took the light rail). It is so much fun...can get a little raunchy as the night goes on..

Hopes - there is a Sing Sing in Pittsburgh too...have you been?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:00 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,718,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, Hopes. Please tell me you know the song "Vincent" aka "Starry, Starry Night" by Don McLean. It came out in the early 70's when I'd just started college and took my first trek to Europe. (Whch is where I met DH.) So we walked around the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam humming that song. If you don't know it, youtube it. I think you'll like it. Oh, to be 19 again lol!
OH thanks a LOT!! That was one of my very favorite songs of all time...and now I'm going to be humming it for the rest of the evening. Talk about a song that causes an emotional reaction....at least in me! Absolutely "dreamy" and contemplative. It's uncanny really, can you believe that every word of that song still resides in my mind? I haven't heard it in years and yet I still know all the words. Three aren't many songs that have had that kind of an impact on me.....ahhhh Vincent.

Perhaps it's still that feeling of detached reality that I'm dealing with because of dear son's departure...Gosh I miss that boy.....

Old 02-13-2011, 05:02 PM

<<hugs>> Beachmel....I cannot imagine what you are going through. I look at my (17yo) son and try to imagine....Know that many people are supporting him, and your family through their thoughts and prayers.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:04 PM

Don McLean did have a way with words didn't he? Between "Vincent" (one of my faves) and "American Pie"....he was quite the poet.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Perhaps it's still that feeling of detached reality that I'm dealing with because of dear son's departure...Gosh I miss that boy.....
We're all thinking of you!

Massive hugs. Tons of prayers!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
This thread has been on here before & usually generates the same responses. I've been staying away from the threads that get nasty.

I see what you are saying. I think if both sides are showing a level of internet respect , it shouldn't matter. (I read some of the responses & some of the responses from "parents" are not necessary. No need to belittle, that is for sure!)

I have toddlers & don't really post on things about teenagers b/c I really have no idea what life is like raising teenagers, though. I can put in my two cents, but that is all that it is... Sometimes I post things about children in college b/c of my experience in college. But, I have a big feeling when my boys get that age, some things will be different & I will probably see some things different from a parent standpoint.

Being parented & being a parent are two completely different entities. But I refer back a ton to how I was parented in the raising of my boys, so sometimes it is one in the same.

My #1 will take the bus to school next year & that is giving me a panic attack. There are some things that as parents it is overwhelming to let your child go. It's vitally necessary & healthy, but it can be very scary from the parent standpoint. I think this is where being a parent versus being parent differs. Your children bring out some strange & amazing emotions. Sometimes mother bear goes into full force & other times you want to sell them on ebay.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion & no parent or child has the "right" answer!!

Common respect goes a long way. There are some really kooky parents out there & some nonparents who think they know the right answers. Not sure why, but that is life!

There is a pretty funny thread on someone who obviously posted a question from their teacher/professor looking for homework help....those are the ones I prefer
However, even though I'm not a "parent" I have been more of a parent to my niece than her own parents have. Yet, they would have more say in a parenting discussion even though they no longer have custody and have absolutely no idea about parenting at all. My husband has also had a very large part in raising a number of nieces and nephews due to the size of his family. We have extensive experience in this area even though we are not officially parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.