Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 04:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
MFA in Art History (a fascinating subject BTW).r.
My dh's degree is a BFA w/ a concentration in theatre. His roommate all 4yrs was from Turkey, was in our wedding & been over our home many times...also has a MFA in Art History & works for the Art Institute of Chicago...I could sit for hours & listen to him. He has made us some turkish coffee and we have sat for hours and listened to him !

Old 02-15-2011, 05:12 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
The Art Institute of Chicago is amazing. Truly love it. I did forget to add Turkey to my list. My mom and MIL went years ago on a church tour of the Holy Land and my mom said she'd go back to Turkey in a heartbeat. Don't mention that to any Greeks though! LOL....

As a military "brat" we lived overseas when I was little and traveled some. Once we started school, we were always in the US. I've been to pretty much all 50 states (I think...?). I have been to Europe with my family when I was in college but haven't been since.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
I've never been anywhere, and I absolutely hate to fly. I do want to go to Europe sometime, though. I'm a history person, and the history there is just amazing. Italy is gorgeous.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:04 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The Art Institute of Chicago is amazing. Truly love it. I did forget to add Turkey to my list. My mom and MIL went years ago on a church tour of the Holy Land and my mom said she'd go back to Turkey in a heartbeat. Don't mention that to any Greeks though! LOL....

As a military "brat" we lived overseas when I was little and traveled some. Once we started school, we were always in the US. I've been to pretty much all 50 states (I think...?). I have been to Europe with my family when I was in college but haven't been since.
Ive been to:

Washington (State)
Oregon
Wyoming
Colorado
Arizona
New Mexico
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
Iowa
Missouri
Arkansas
Alabama
Illinois
Tennessee
Kentucky
Indiana
Wisconsin
Michigan
Ohio
Pennsylvania
New York
Vermont
Massachusetts
Georgia
Florida

I may or may not have been to: ( I don't remember.)
Minnesota
Louisiana
Mississippi
North Carolina
South Carolina

And I have yet to go to:
California
Utah
Idaho
Montana
North Dakota
South Dakota
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New Jersey
Maryland
New Hampshire
Maine
Washington DC
West Virginia
Virginia

I do plan on going to all 50 states.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I've never been anywhere, and I absolutely hate to fly. I do want to go to Europe sometime, though. I'm a history person, and the history there is just amazing. Italy is gorgeous.
Have you thought about taking the train? I know it won't get you to Europe but I took Amtrak from L.A. to Chicago and back and had a great time.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM

So my car insurance is due today, on top of not being able to pay it till Thursday its gone from $131 to $226 because I don't have proof of prior insurance...well I do but my mom has to get it from her insurance company, btw, I wouldn't have the slightest clue who she's with.

I'm getting pretty pissed with her because I've been asking for this for quite some time now and I worry I will be stuck with a $226 car insurance payment, which I can make $131 but not $226.

I don't know what to do and its pissing me off that she like shirks the crap she needs to do and doesn't care when others are affected by it.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Have you thought about taking the train? I know it won't get you to Europe but I took Amtrak from L.A. to Chicago and back and had a great time.
By anywhere, I mean other countries. I lived in Northern Illinois for one winter a couple years ago. We flew there, flew back for my husband's INS interview for permanent residency, flew back, and drove back here when we moved back. I hated each flight and thought I was going to have a darn heart attack. I would like to take a cruise to Europe. They're harder to come by now then they used to be, but a couple still have trans-Atlantic voyages.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
My brother hates flying too.
I LOVE to fly. I usually pass out on the plan and sleep right through any turbulence. I can also sleep just about anywhere, waiting room chairs, cars, at the pool, basically anywhere I can sit down and lean my head back against a wall I can easily pass out. Its almost narcoleptic-esq with out the having narcolepsy bit, like now, I'm still dragging from pulling the double and keep falling asleep typing right now.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I took my niece on the train up to San Luis Obispo a couple years ago. She was probably four, and it was an eight hour train ride. You can imagine what I thought it was going to be like. Thankfully, she had her portable DVD player and DS. I'm not a huge fan of those things for kids that young, but that is what she was used to. She had a good time, though.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I would like to take a cruise to Europe. They're harder to come by now then they used to be, but a couple still have trans-Atlantic voyages.
Me too! I used to have this fantasy of taking the QE 2 to Europe. (But settled for lunch or dinner on the Queen Mary every so often. It's not quite the same, lol.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting