Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
LOVED it! Awesome place. Not total culture shock for an American, but a much slower place. Wonderful people.
I wanted to immigrate there. I did all the research, etc. By the time we'll be ready to go, we'll be too old for their immigration standards. I think 50 is the cut off. But it does look beautiful. I know slow paced. The people are frugal. My friend, who lives there, says that buying a new shirt is big deal you show all your friends your new purpose, like people here show their new cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Oh yes...and I don't mind grape juice once it's fermented either! LOL
Isn't it amazing how fermenting can make almost anything enjoyable?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 PM

Okay. I heard from my friend. He made it to my car. He is leaving it there because it's too dangerous for his crew to bring it down right now.

He said it was in a good place, but while he was standing there, a car came down the hill and crashed into one of the other abandoned cars.

Maybe I'll get a car back tomorrow, maybe I won't.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Oh dear. The NZ earthquake looks really serious. They say there's multiple fatalities.

Man, they're going through a lot over in my old part of the world. (Australia and NZ).

Hopes - hope your car's ok - good thing you were so diligent about leaving it in a good spot.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hopes - hope your car's ok - good thing you were so diligent about leaving it in a good spot.
I'd love to take the credit. It was fate's doing. I had no choice in where to leave it. I couldn't move it two feet. Heck, I couldn't even get it to stay still either!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Oh dear. The NZ earthquake looks really serious. They say there's multiple fatalities.

Man, they're going through a lot over in my old part of the world. (Australia and NZ).
Which part was hit? Which city? OMGoodness, I hope my friend is okay.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
Hi all

The earthquake hit Christchurch - again (they had a major earthquake there just last September). This time, the magnitude was less (6.3) but it was a much shallower earthquake, just 5kms below ground - thus the damage is massive. It hit at lunchtime so there were a lot of people (and cars etc) out and about. The city centre is extensively damaged and many people are still trapped in buildings. They are expecting multiple fatalities, but at this stage only one confirmed. A couple of nearby suburbs are also very damaged - Rickerton, Brighton and Lyttelton have been mentioned.

I wonder if all the natural disasters Aus and NZ have been through in the last few months prove that God can't possibly exist ... or that God does exist and is very p*ssed off with us. Sigh.

ETA: As I write, they've confirmed more than 60 people have died... with more to come.

Last edited by Kobber; 02-21-2011 at 10:24 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times
Quote:
Yay cheerbaby! How are you?

Is this our first parenting chat baby? Does that mean we're all virtual godparents? How exciting!

Does he have any hair? Details, please....

Sorry busy. Hes a wild sleeper....meaning he doesnt sleep. However he does go to sleep everytime i was trying to catch up on CSI!

He was 8lbs 2oz (Lots of cute little leg rolls). Did it without epidural. This is the second one.....I thought it was going to be easier..definately not.

He does have hair! Black hair! Were mohawking it for now! Bright blue eyes! (Im hoping they dont change to my green ones!)

Calleigh is a proud big sister. Wants to sleep in the room with him. Daddy=Not very good at this waking up thing since its the first newborn for him.

Breastfeeding is going good. Painful but it always is the first couple weeks.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Good evening ladies.....

Hopes - what an adventure! Now that it's over, think of all the times you can tell that story in the future LOL!

Glad everything turned out well....

You too rkb - those roads through Wyoming can be treacherous in the winter...

Mmmm split pea soup with ham....gotta love it. But I love soup. If it weren't for this darn dietary change I'm determined to stick with...I'd love to scarf down on some homemade potato leek soup...with crumbled bacon on top...

Isn't it funny how little things bring back memories...when we used to live in the midwest while I was growing up, we'd go to restaurants only very occasionally - usually when we were traveling. Some that I remember include one called the Red Kettle or Copper Kettle or something like that - we'd stop and eat bean soup - served in a little black kettle (IIRC)...Also, when we lived in Michigan, we'd eat at Bill Knapps - all I remember is a green and white farm kind of theme and eating chicken....I can't remember where the split pea soup place was but I'm pretty sure it was called Andersen's...the more I think about it the more I'm thinking that was in Solvang, CA (Dew?)....
Andersen's is in Buellton. So yummy. We go up to the San Luis Obispo area every summer and almost always stop at Pea Soup Andersen's, which is what we call it.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Hi all

The earthquake hit Christchurch - again (they had a major earthquake there just last September). This time, the magnitude was less (6.3) but it was a much shallower earthquake, just 5kms below ground - thus the damage is massive. It hit at lunchtime so there were a lot of people (and cars etc) out and about. The city centre is extensively damaged and many people are still trapped in buildings. They are expecting multiple fatalities, but at this stage only one confirmed. A couple of nearby suburbs are also very damaged - Rickerton, Brighton and Lyttelton have been mentioned.

I wonder if all the natural disasters Aus and NZ have been through in the last few months prove that God can't possibly exist ... or that God does exist and is very p*ssed off with us. Sigh.

ETA: As I write, they've confirmed more than 60 people have died... with more to come.
No, God made the Earth to include earthquakes. It does not prove He does no exist, and it does not prove He does exist. If you live in earthquake territory, you expect earthquakes. We expect earthquakes here.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
No, God made the Earth to include earthquakes. It does not prove He does no exist, and it does not prove He does exist. If you live in earthquake territory, you expect earthquakes. We expect earthquakes here.
Earthquakes were not really a part of our language growing up. We're more prepared for bushfires and drought, and cyclones. Although, of course that was Australia, which is geologically a different place entirely than NZ. I don't remember it ever being an issue for New Zealanders either, though. Certainly people are not living with the expectation of a big one like they do in California. I don't remember any at all of this kind of magnitude (and two that close together!).

I'm sure it was quite unexpected and is devastating for everybody. The city looks terrible. There were some beautiful landmarks that are just rubble, and a lot of people trapped still.

I feel just terrible for them. It really does remind one of the fragility of our existence, which I always try to take as a poke from nature to treasure our time and loved ones, and to make the most of what we have and who we share it with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting