Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

I've been watching Top Chef. I'm craving flavor. I've really straightened out my eating habits...and I feel great but OMG...watching this I am really craving some yummy stuff...

Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Exactly....it's all about the short term goals not the long term ones. The Blackberry, moving out, the car. She can't see more than that. She doesn't want a career - she just wants to move out, have a car and a cool phone and bragging rights to a bunch of vague goals which she never seems to get anywhere closer to achieving. Or even starting.
That's why I see a plus in her uprooting herself and moving away. One way or another, she'll grow up real fast!

Quote:
I've been watching Top Chef. I'm craving flavor. I've really straightened out my eating habits...and I feel great but OMG...watching this I am really craving some yummy stuff...
What have you been doing that has you feeling so great??!!? Share the secret! I've been so tired lately!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's why I see a plus in her uprooting herself and moving away. One way or another, she'll grow up real fast! Yes...if I thought she had firm goals and would finish I might agree - but, as you said, look who we're talking about. All that will happen is she'll get in more debt and not finish for some reason or another. She won't have a way to repay any of it -it'll just be a deeper hole...

What have you been doing that has you feeling so great??!!? Share the secret! I've been so tired lately!
I have eliminated the majority of carbs and sugar from my diet. I have had probably one serving total of red meat in the past 3 weeks. The carbs I do eat have lots of fiber. Typical day: breakfast of 1C shredded wheat with nonfat organic milk...black coffee. Take my vitamins: 1 multi; vitamin D3; 1 fish oil. Lunch/snacking at work - I pack a bowl of spinach leaves, some grape tomatoes, carrot sticks, snap peas, a handful of almonds, a small container of bleu cheese crumbles. I graze on that at my desk when I'm hungry. I'm not a fan of salad dressing so that's what the bleu cheese adds (plus it's just yummy and salty). If I get hungry later I'll have a small apple - maybe with some (natural) peanut butter. Plus, at work, I've been making an effort to get up and walk around. My job is very sedentary so getting up and walking briskly a couple of times a day is helpful. Dinner just depends on who's home....I take another round of fish oil at dinner and eat small portion. Lots of water all day. That's it ....just mostly whole foods, very little carbs or sugar, very little red meat. Some kind of exercise - even just 15 minutes of brisk walking (on an empty floor in my building - too cold outside lately!). I noticed a change immediately. Within days.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I have eliminated the majority of carbs and sugar from my diet. I have had probably one serving total of red meat in the past 3 weeks. The carbs I do eat have lots of fiber. Typical day: breakfast of 1C shredded wheat with nonfat organic milk...black coffee. Take my vitamins: 1 multi; vitamin D3; 1 fish oil. Lunch/snacking at work - I pack a bowl of spinach leaves, some grape tomatoes, carrot sticks, snap peas, a handful of almonds, a small container of bleu cheese crumbles. I graze on that at my desk when I'm hungry. I'm not a fan of salad dressing so that's what the bleu cheese adds (plus it's just yummy and salty). If I get hungry later I'll have a small apple - maybe with some (natural) peanut butter. Plus, at work, I've been making an effort to get up and walk around. My job is very sedentary so getting up and walking briskly a couple of times is helpful.
That's great! I've had similar success with eating whole foods. It's difficult because I have to be organized to take it with me because there's nowhere to buy healthy things to eat on-the-go. I was so jealous when I went on vacation last summer to New Jersey and New York City. Their convenience stores are FILLED with fresh whole foods. Very healthy! In Pittsburgh, it's mostly junk food. There are starting to be a few health options, but the selection is very limited and not enticing. Pittsburgh is always 10 years behind any trend. We'll catch up someday.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:14 PM

I don't shop at convenience stores. I just am determined and pack my lunch. We have a fridge available to us at work. Even if you don't, there are lunch bags with cold packs... It's so much cheaper too! When your doctor tells you your bloodwork is not what it should be, it can get you motivated pretty quickly. I hung up with the doctor and went cold turkey. Literally.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I can't imagine just uprooting and having no job, place to live etc....
Ummm... I just kinda did that too. About 8 months ago. Although, hubby and I both do have resumes and skills. So I guess we had that going for us. Which was nice.

Quote:
I think I've told you this before, mm, but I LOVE Top Chef. WTF were they thinking with that awful pasta course? Dale did something similar with that horrible looking pad thai a couple of weeks back. I like Richard's food (well the idea of it, I've never tasted it ) but I would really be chuffed if Carla won. She's just such a breath of fresh air.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 PM

Finster - I love Carla (hootie hoo!)...she's just so much fun...I thought it was cool that the women were all in the top tonight! Yeah...that pasta all looked....ew.

BTW - I'd kill for some good fresh garlic bread right about now...

ETA - speaking of WTH - the quickfire? Really? I can't stand Mizrahi anyway though. Oh...and did that dress make Padma look a bit preggers again? Or was it just me?

Last edited by maciesmom; 02-02-2011 at 10:31 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 03:35 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Gee txt. That sounds like the most hair-brained idea I've heard from you yet. Go for it!
I'm not going to go at it half-cocked..
I just NEED away from here.
I feel so much pain and sadness and anxiety being here.
Maybe its not the place but my feelings I am trying to run away from.
I am so depressed I just wanna go to the ER and tell them to commit me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Heading to a state that is suffering much more than others from the recession is definitely brilliant.
Better than being here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
yet another brilliant plan a la txt queen.
Never said it was brilliant or smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
She could really go for broke (literally) and come to Arizona.
I would move to Arizona too.
Arizona, Texas, Tennessee(solely to stay with my grandmother.), California or Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
I don't know of any job that is going to do a transfer for someone with little to no work experience and one without a stable employment history. Whoever gave her that advice clearly wasn't thinking

You don't have to go to school to be a cop- just enroll in the damn academy already!!
I have been with BBB for 8 months and am no longer with the company. I would be transferring with my new job by the summer.

Quote:
I composed a response to txtqueen's post this morning but immediately deleted it.

She's been to Florida. She loves it. Gotta be near a beach. She knows everything.

Nevermind that Florida's economy sucks and the cost of living is high.

Honestly, maybe it would be good for her to go to Florida. She'll grow up faster.

That's why I deleted my post filled with lots of great advice.
Its not oh I love the beach I want to go.
Its I like the weather, I like the atmosphere.
Its somewhere I can go and escape and get lost in. I just want to disappear off the map and move somewhere and keep little to no contact with people I know now.

Quote:
I guess for some people that age/point comes after learning first hand that merely loving the beach and working at a gas station wasn't a good plan.
I rather be somewhere warm and tropical, with palm trees and the beach than in this crappy ass town with the snow and the crappy ass mountains I never get to go to.

I'd give miles from the beach, you can go to the beach anytime and go for a walk, you can go for a walk on the beach at night and not get worried about getting mauled by a bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Not to mention the sun does FANTASTIC things to your skin. Ask my dad and his missing chunk of ear.
I wouldn't let the risk of skin cancer dictate to me where I live.
If I lived in Florida, I would use sunscreen and I would be working a lot.

Quote:
Good evening - what a long day at work...

Just when I thought stuff was settling down...

AND I was on the phone for hours today learning more about Certified Payroll than I ever really wanted to know. <insert eyes-glazed-over emoticon here>

jk - congrats again on DH's job...I know that is such a weight off your shoulders!

txt-Florida.....one of the hardest hit states economically, high cost of living and I'm sure the cops have it all cushy there too....what with the low crime rate in the parts that she'll be able to afford. Yep live and learn though.
I KNOW what florida is like. I'm not stupid. I rather be there than here. I rather be anywhere than here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
She said she's going to look into a student loan and getting back into school. Maybe she plans on going to college there. If so, she should look into living on campus instead of an apartment. She could get it figured into financial aid and won't have to worry about getting kicked out of school. Also, I'm assuming she plans to transfer with BBB. I don't know how long she's been there, but most places won't do a transfer if you've been there under six months.
My plan is to get there and get established and get back into college there and just escape.

Quote:
That would be a good plan IF she was planning to move there for college and live in a dorm.

But she said something about rent and working at a gas station in Florida.

She seems to keep forgetting that going to college is an important part of becoming financially independent.
I would be going to college there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I didn't read gas station. I read transfer. I was thinking that meant BBB. She did say something about rent, but I'm just saying she should do a dorm. From what I know, most police forces aren't hiring right now. This would be doubly true in Florida since its economy was trashed.
Not BBB...my other job.

Quote:
She'd be better off staying here, living rent free/minimal with family until she actually finishes something she starts. Anything. School. Police Academy. Vocational training of some kind. Just finish something she starts rather than starting something, getting bored, annoyed, frustrated, disillusioned, whatever then flitting off to the next thing until that becomes, boring, annoying, frustrating. But she won't. 3 years from now, she'll still be flitting about, with nothing actually finished that will get her anywhere.
No its not best that I stay here. I am so deep in depression I just want to like be committed and not worry about anything.

Quote:
You're right. I made an assumption. She was planning to quite BBB. That's why I assumed the gas station was the transfer.

Definitely, the dorm would be the way to go, but I don't see anything in txtqueen's post that indicates she is planning to go to college in Florida. She wants to save money for rent, find a roommate and move in the summer. Sounds like she just wants to keep trying to do what she's already trying to do---just in a different location. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think she has a better chance of finishing if she went to live at a dorm. Her biggest complaints are her living arrangements. If she got grants and student loans to pay for her tuition, books, dorm room and meal plan, she'd be able to pay for that damn blackberry and car with a part time job while attending college. That might be the expensive way to do it, but I think txtqueen's best chance at success is if she lives at college in a dorm---especially if it's out of state where she won't have a possibility for a quick escape.

Quote:
I hear you. But we're talking about txtqueen. She wants out of her mother's house FAST.

Dorm seems to be her only short term solution to that problem that actually provides her a chance at a future.
I don't have the GPA to get into a college with dorms.

Quote:
That's why I see a plus in her uprooting herself and moving away. One way or another, she'll grow up real fast!

I rather suffer somewhere nice and warm than here. There I can be surrounded by the ocean, by palm trees, warm weather, here I'm just surrounded by pain and misery and depression and sadness and I can't even escape my own thoughts, I just want to stop thinking.

I am so deeply depressed.
I am just half tempted to run away and never look back.
Just get the hell out and not tell a single person where I am going.

I have emotionally/mentally hit rock bottom, I am done, finished, exhausted...I give up. I hate my life.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:55 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,518 times
Txt- I just don't think you get it. You can run all you want, but running doesn't solve your problems. You are the captain of your ship and if you have pain and sadness where you are now, it will follow you where ever you move until you fix the cause of your pain and sadness. Running away doesn't do anything but cause more problems

I honestly think you need help- and I am NOT saying that to be mean! I am saying that because I truly care. PLEASE go talk to someone RIGHT THIS SECOND, your mom, your grandmother, SOMEONE who truly cares about your well being and tell them everything you just said in your last post! You need help

Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 AM

I've grouped your comments together by theme below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Maybe its not the place but my feelings I am trying to run away from.

No its not best that I stay here. I am so deep in depression I just want to like be committed and not worry about anything.

I rather suffer somewhere nice and warm than here. There I can be surrounded by the ocean, by palm trees, warm weather, here I'm just surrounded by pain and misery and depression and sadness and I can't even escape my own thoughts, I just want to stop thinking.

I am so deeply depressed.
I am just half tempted to run away and never look back.
Just get the hell out and not tell a single person where I am going.

I have emotionally/mentally hit rock bottom, I am done, finished, exhausted...I give up. I hate my life.
What have you done since your lasts posts to get yourself started on the proper medication?

Quote:
I am so epressed I just wanna go to the ER and tell them to commit me.
That might not be a bad idea. At least you would start treating your mental illness.

Quote:
I just NEED away from here.

Better than being here.

Its somewhere I can go and escape and get lost in. I just want to disappear off the map and move somewhere and keep little to no contact with people I know now.

I KNOW what florida is like. I'm not stupid. I rather be there than here. I rather be anywhere than here.
You're not alone in feeling that way. It's common for your age. My own son blames our town on his problems (not his family) and thinks moving away is the solution. I remember telling a gas station owner that I couldn't wait to move away and get out of this town. He responded, "It's the same everywhere." He's right. It is the same everywhere because we can't run away from ourselves. Granted, a new location start can bring a fresh outlook, but I don't recommend it while emotionally unstable though.

Quote:
I rather be somewhere warm and tropical, with palm trees and the beach than in this crappy ass town with the snow and the crappy ass mountains I never get to go to.

I'd give miles from the beach, you can go to the beach anytime and go for a walk, you can go for a walk on the beach at night and not get worried about getting mauled by a bear.
Consider getting a job at a resort where the provide room and board in addition to pay.

There are places all over the world. You can work in Alaska in the summer and somewhere warm in the winters.

Check out this website: http://www.coolworks.com/

Quote:
My plan is to get there and get established and get back into college there and just escape.

I don't have the GPA to get into a college with dorms.
That's not true.

There ARE colleges with dorms that accept anyone. Here's one:

Youngstown State University - An Urban Research University located in Northeast Ohio.

There are others. Do your research and quit making assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting