U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 02:06 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,122,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
At what age would you all consider letting your daughter change her hair color? My 13 year old says she wants a new look but not a drastic change. I'm willing to consider letting her get some highlights or go a few shades lighter or darker unless there is some grave health risk. How safe is this? Do you go to a salon or do it yourself? How long does the color last? Here's a pic of her natural color.
I don't think there are many health risks for the majority. You could probably put in a call to her pediatrican & ask if very concerned.

As for cost as was mentioned by rkb, this might be a great way for her to earn some money/real life lesson on cost of things.

It costs me about $90 for highlights & I do it twice a year.

Something to consider is the cost of maintenance of this sort of thing.

As for doing it at home, I will probably be the minority that says no to this due to the chemical abrasiveness of the home products along w/ getting a color that doesn't work & then having to go to a stylist to get it fixed. But that is just opinion based. I think half the fun is going to the salon & getting pampered & taken care of.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM

20,912 posts, read 21,528,211 times
For a 13 yo and not a drastic color change, I'd most likely get a box from Target of "Level 2" type color. Washes out in 15-20 shampoos. Not as harsh, or as permanent. Not expensive either. I think for a girl that age, it is an appropriate way to experiment....

Old 02-11-2011, 04:16 PM

43,012 posts, read 86,946,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
At what age would you all consider letting your daughter change her hair color? My 13 year old says she wants a new look but not a drastic change. I'm willing to consider letting her get some highlights or go a few shades lighter or darker unless there is some grave health risk. How safe is this? Do you go to a salon or do it yourself? How long does the color last? Here's a pic of her natural color.
I'd do highlights. Hightlights grow out more naturally than all over color. She'll be stuck dying her hair forever if you let her color her entire head because she won't like how it looks growing out. You can soften the appearance of highlights growing out by having lowlights put into the hair. Yeah, highlights and lowlights are expensive, but it's the most natural looking way to change haircolor and there's less of a committment to constant root coloring or having to cut hair short because it's hard to grow out a full color change.

Macie's idea of the temporary colors that wash out in a month is a good alternative too. It really depends on the look you're trying to achieve. But definitely don't do permanent color all over---she's too young to deal with constant dying, root maintenance, or the growing out phase that can take over a year for long hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
How would you ladies deal with a neighbor who never shovels their sidewalk? We have an ordinance, so I could call in a complaint. I was considering leaving a note on their door, or shoveling it myself. We got about a foot of snow total over 3 days and I have to step out into the street to get around their house. Kids walk that way to the bus. I never see these neighbors. I've heard it is a woman and her boyfriend. As far as I know, there is no physical disability keeping them from clearing their sidewalk.
We don't have sidewalks where I live. Hard to imagine, huh?

I'd go ask them if there is a reason they aren't shoveling their sidewalk. You might fid out that they might have a disability that's preventing them. If that's the case, I'd rally the neighbors together to take turns helping them keep their sidewalks clear. If they have no good reason for not shoveling, maybe they'll start doing it because you talked to them.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:42 PM

4,260 posts, read 4,863,482 times
I'm not a mom yet, but we plan on not doing dying the hair at least that young. We really don't know when, though. We just say that we are happy with what God gave us as far as our looks. Plus, I'm not comfortable with all those chemicals on a kid's head. It also tends to be true that once you dye your hair, you want to keep doing it more and more.

I can't help you rkb. We don't have sidewalks on my street. Of course, we never have snow, either.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:50 PM

24,129 posts, read 27,876,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We don't have sidewalks where I live. Hard to imagine, huh?

I'd go ask them if there is a reason they aren't shoveling their sidewalk. You might fid out that they might have a disability that's preventing them. If that's the case, I'd rally the neighbors together to take turns helping them keep their sidewalks clear. If they have no good reason for not shoveling, maybe they'll start doing it because you talked to them.
Ugh, I hate confrontation. I'll probably let it go this time. It will melt before the next school day. We'll see what I feel like next time. Maybe I'll shovel it for them. If they really can't do it, they'll appreciate it. If they can, maybe they'll be guilted into doing it next time.

No, not hard to imagine. I grew up without sidewalks, and also without snow.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:26 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,040,493 times
Quote:
How would you ladies deal with a neighbor who never shovels their sidewalk? We have an ordinance, so I could call in a complaint. I was considering leaving a note on their door, or shoveling it myself. We got about a foot of snow total over 3 days and I have to step out into the street to get around their house. Kids walk that way to the bus. I never see these neighbors. I've heard it is a woman and her boyfriend. As far as I know, there is no physical disability keeping them from clearing their sidewalk.
I would call in a complaint. They'll most likely get a warning first and then after that they'll get fined. We have a few neighbors who don't shovel. I have noticed some of them have gotten notices and fined. At least a few are a little more motivated now.

ETA: If there is a reason why they can't shovel (such as disability) many cities have programs where volunteers will come out and shovel for them. They can also hire someone to do it. In our neighborhood people come door to door asking to shovel and they usually don't charge all that much. If these people get a warning and this is the case I'm sure they'd be able to work something out. There is no way I'd shovel it for them without knowing their situation. If it was an elderly neighbor I would help out but a young women and her boyfriend, no way.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:27 PM

5,937 posts, read 6,226,384 times
I've got my date tonight!
I'm sooooooooooo excited!
He's cute and a cop.

We're going to the mall.

Ill post later how it went.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:41 PM

32,538 posts, read 28,504,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
He's cute and a cop.

We're going to the mall.
What are you going to do? Ride around on his Segway?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Ugh, I hate confrontation. I'll probably let it go this time.
Is that really confrontation? You'd be asking them if they need help. You'd be helpful, not confrontational. hehehe!

Quote:
No, not hard to imagine. I grew up without sidewalks, and also without snow.
If you grew up without sidewalks, why do you mind walking in the street? Is your street a highway?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I've got my date tonight!
I'm sooooooooooo excited!
He's cute and a cop.

We're going to the mall.

Ill post later how it went.
I thought you were going out to dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting