U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-13-2011, 08:21 AM

16,741 posts, read 11,218,468 times
Good morning everyone. Supposed to be in the mid 60s here today! Going to be hard to stay inside and focused on my organizing...but it MUST get done! DH and I may go see a movie later on. I'll probaby make a big breakfast here shortly. Took some bacon out of the freezer last night for a treat. I don't know that I'll have any but DS and DH will want some for sure....

Wonder how things are going with jkcoop? Haven't seen her for a few days....

On the parent/nonparent thing...everyone is entitled to their opinion. Honestly, until we get in a situation, none of us "knows" what he/she will do. We have thoughts and ideas but until we cross that bridge for ourselves....we don't know. I agree that mutual respect is what matters....I only get annoyed when posters who clearly (and admittedly) don't even LIKE children, come on and give condescending opinions on what we "breeders" should do to contain our "spawn"...other than that no biggee...

txt - I agree you should stop trying (if that's what you are doing)....just have fun and enjoy yourself and enjoy doing things with friends. You have a lot going on right now and you need to be focusing on your life and your goals and your health. The rest will follow when you are in a better place. Really it will. Put your energy into yourself at this time in your life.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:36 AM

40,276 posts, read 43,494,381 times
Good luck with that organizing, Maciesmom!

I'm hunkered down for the day to finish my research paper.

Hubby and I went to the museum on Friday. He was going stir crazy being stuck in the house for the past few weeks. Since he can't do much of anything except walk around, we opted for the museum. We hadn't been there since the children were in elementary school. Low and behold, the museum acquired Monet's water lillies. I had no idea it was so huge!

Afterwards, we went to an Asian restaurant and I had fresh made egg rolls that were just heaven. I never had anything that tasted so good. I ordered a extra four to take home to the kids. Now, I wish I had ordered an extra 50 for my freezer!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 AM

16,741 posts, read 11,218,468 times
Love Monet. One of my favorite places on earth is the Art Institute of Chicago. I can't go to Chicago without going (or at least thinking about it - not always time but it always crosses my mind). They have an awesome Impressionist collection. Went there last summer - going to try to take DS there this summer. When we used to drive across Nebraska in the late fall/early winter, we'd see all the hay stacked or rolled and it would always make me think of Monet's Haystacks paintings. It is interesting when you see paintings IRL and they are either much larger or much smaller than you thought!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:51 AM

5,627 posts, read 2,551,679 times
Morning all!

We're getting a taste of spring... yay! I can't wait for the day we can go get flowers and veggies and start planting. We love our garden (although we're pretty amateur, and just make it up as we go).

I was wondering where jkcoop was as well.

Are you OK coop?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:53 AM

I didn't know that our museum acquired the Monet twelve years ago. I used to live at the museum when I was growing up.

Oh, but I absolutely fell in love with Van Gogh. I've been searching the internet for prints, which isn't helping me get my paper done! LOL

I want to go to museums in other cities too. I can't believe I've never gone to the museum when I've been in NYC or DC so many times!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:56 AM

I'm jealous of everyone who is getting a taste of spring. It's still cold here. Hubby is pretending it's warm, but it's only a high of 38. That's not warm IMO.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 AM

20,604 posts, read 11,012,382 times
Morning MM, Morning All,

I spent yesterday organizing books. We have 17 bookcases. (I counted) They are all jammed. Plus there are boxes of books in the garage. Sat down for dinner with DH last night turned on the local news to catch up and, oh my goodness, the big once-a-year used book sale is on at the state fairgrounds. Dh could hardly eat he was so excited. Today's books are half price!

They really do have some cool stuff, but after a day of sorting and dusting books I can't even remember buying I said, "Have a nice time. Take yourself out for lunch!" It's a 90 minute drive just to get there and it's full of people with shopping carts.

I have a room that is supposed to be the "parlor". It's got my grandmother's piano, china cabinet, etc in there and is kind of a mess right now since it became the "Just stash it in there right now" room. I think I'll take a pre-emptive Benadryl (dust) and see what forgotten goodies are in there.

Oh, Psr, the church I went to in HG was St. Peter Chanel. I haven't been there in years but I don't expect it's changed. They had some rogue priests who said the Latin Mass before it was "allowed". Big followers of JPII there. I loved it. It's one of the churces that is open during the day so you can go in and pray and meditate. And if you're ever looking for a great Catholic book store, try St. Joseph's Catholic Books and Gifts on Lincoln in Anaheim. Run by a man named Gaby who, I think, is Filipino. He's the one that told me about St. Peter Chanel which is further west on Lincoln. All the nuns hang out there lol.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:17 AM

20,604 posts, read 11,012,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Oh, but I absolutely fell in love with Van Gogh. I've been searching the internet for prints, which isn't helping me get my paper done! LOL
Oh, Hopes. Please tell me you know the song "Vincent" aka "Starry, Starry Night" by Don McLean. It came out in the early 70's when I'd just started college and took my first trek to Europe. (Whch is where I met DH.) So we walked around the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam humming that song. If you don't know it, youtube it. I think you'll like it. Oh, to be 19 again lol!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 AM

4,440 posts, read 5,500,964 times
Hey everyone - thanks for wondering about me

I've been around, just haven't taken much time to post. Been in a bit of a foul mood lately, not sure why! It's been a long week. DH starts his job Wednesday. Maybe that's been part of the mood around here. He's bored. When he was looking for a job he was busy. He gets one, but can't start for 2 weeks - we're all grouchy. And this is horrible, but I keep thinking, "what if they change their mind?!".

Anyway, he went in Monday and turned in paperwork, spoke with the IT guys, etc. - and actually recognized someone from years ago. He seems to feel really good about what all lies ahead, so I'm excited for him. And the office is so close to home - I'm already planning little picnics and such for us once the weather gets a bit warmer. It will be very nice. We feel like we are back in the land of the living with a job.

I'm also trying to get outside and making more of an effort to be away from my computer. So ready for spring to be here.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, Hopes. Please tell me you know the song "Vincent" aka "Starry, Starry Night" by Don McLean. It came out in the early 70's when I'd just started college and took my first trek to Europe. (Whch is where I met DH.) So we walked around the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam humming that song. If you don't know it, youtube it. I think you'll like it. Oh, to be 19 again lol!
I know the song! I had no idea it was called Vincent and about Van Gogh!

Thanks for sharing that trip down memory lane. How lucky for you to be in Amsterdam as a college student! Great memories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting