U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,989,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Oh, Psr, the church I went to in HG was St. Peter Chanel. I haven't been there in years but I don't expect it's changed. They had some rogue priests who said the Latin Mass before it was "allowed". Big followers of JPII there. I loved it. It's one of the churces that is open during the day so you can go in and pray and meditate. And if you're ever looking for a great Catholic book store, try St. Joseph's Catholic Books and Gifts on Lincoln in Anaheim. Run by a man named Gaby who, I think, is Filipino. He's the one that told me about St. Peter Chanel which is further west on Lincoln. All the nuns hang out there lol.
That's awesome. When you really look at the suppression of the Latin Mass after Vatican II, it's crazy. I wasn't raised Catholic, and the Latin Mass is what drew me to it. Imagine my shock when I found out how hard it was to find one. It's a bit easier now, though. Wow, a church open during the day. That's awesome.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:30 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,362,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Wow, a church open during the day. That's awesome.
If you want a church that's open during the day try St. Boniface's on Lincoln in Anaheim. (Everything is on Lincoln in that part of the world.lol.) They open the doors early and close them late. You can go into the office and buy candles. There is a small room that has a lot of different statues that people have donated and people bring flowers from their gardens. It's the only place in this country I've seen people approach the altar on their knees.

People go up to the balcony and sing their prayers. It's a very "homey" church. The parish is old-town Anaheim white, Hispanic and Vietnamese. It's a very active church. They lead processions through the streets on various Holy Days. The only time they close it during the day is if there's a wedding or a funeral. (And the old Hispanic women actually gather in the back to watch the weddings.) Plus! The front steps are one of the best places in town to watch the Disneyland fireworks!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,059,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hopes - there is a Sing Sing in Pittsburgh too...have you been?
This is the first time I've heard of it. I just googled it. Now that I know we have one, I need to make plans!

(btw, when I first googled 'Sing Sing" I found a correctional facility in New York. "Hey, hopes, you ever been to Sing Sing?" LOL)

Old 02-14-2011, 07:07 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,731,674 times
Morning all...

Re: The Grammys

Obviously Ms GaGa has never seen Spinal Tap.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:43 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,801,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Morning all...

Re: The Grammys

Obviously Ms GaGa has never seen Spinal Tap.
Haha! Yes, a very uninspiring performance. More importantly, was Bob Dylan actually alive?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 AM

21,144 posts, read 22,135,031 times
Missed the Grammys.....

Last I saw Bob Dylan (years ago) he looked horrible. He had a creepy resemblance to Vincent Price.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 AM

4,541 posts, read 9,503,077 times
We were so bored that we sat there watching the last hour and half or so. An hour and a half we'll never get back.....

The problem is, we don't know who half the people are because we don't listen to that type of music.

I think they had Bob Dylan propped up or something.... it was hard to hear him any way because the instruments were playing so loud. I've never been a fan, so that didn't bother me.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,801,828 times
I thought it was a pretty good show, I really liked the diversity of music styles in the live performances. Makes a change from the last few years where it was predominantly hip hop/rap. My daughter has Bieber fever, so I DVR'd his performance for her.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 AM

21,144 posts, read 22,135,031 times
jk - is it windy up there? Man I can hear the wind here - and feel it coming through the window. It's kind of overcast. I hope that burns off soon. I'm not in a wonderful mood and the sun out might help a bit. Am meeting a friend for lunch. That should be nice. We haven't seen each other in a bit.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:08 AM

24,474 posts, read 28,767,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
jk - is it windy up there? Man I can hear the wind here - and feel it coming through the window. It's kind of overcast. I hope that burns off soon. I'm not in a wonderful mood and the sun out might help a bit. Am meeting a friend for lunch. That should be nice. We haven't seen each other in a bit.
windy and overcast here too. I has hoping for a warm sunny day. You are the one who posted the vegetarian chili recipe right? I'm planning to make it, but I don't have a dutch oven. Can I use a crock pot, or just a regular pot on the stove?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.