Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 08:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Oh I agree the "ingredients" are healthier options...but, eating way too much of healthy stuff isn't really any better than eating a small portion of unhealthy stuff. It's both bad and the serving size contributes to people's not understanding what a true portion really is. I'd like the option of having a small or even "normal" portion of healthy food. I haven't had the "tacos" (I actually like the burritos)...but like I said, I dont' go too much any more. We don't eat "on the go" nearly as much now that the kids are older/gone. I don't really miss it so no biggee...Yes Dew, they aren't really "burritos" in the traditional sense, but, because they are traditional southwest flavors and wrapped in a tortilla...that's what they get called. Kind of like when some kind of protein gets slapped on a bun it's called a "burger" - whether or not there is any hamburger involved....fish burger, chicken burger, turkey burger, mushroom burger...LOL....

OK...didn't mean to "rant"....haha...I do enjoy the taste of Chipotle...If I could just stop by and have about 3-5 bites! Oh well...

Headed off to work. Have a great day everyone....

Last edited by maciesmom; 02-15-2011 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 10:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I quit eating at Taco Bell when I found out their beef is grade D. Now that I know it isn't even meat, I will most likely never eat there again. If I do I will certainly not order anything with beef in it.
Don't just limit your boycott to beef. The chicken isn't real at many fast food chains too.

What's in Fast Food Chicken? (Hint: It's Not Chicken!)

Quote:
Full ingredient list for a Chicken McNugget (from McDonald’s website):

White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, seasoning (autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil, dextrose, citric acid, rosemary), sodium phosphates, seasoning (canola oil, mono- and diglycerides, extractives of rosemary). Battered and breaded with: water, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, whey, corn starch. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

Full ingredient list for my mother’s fried chicken:

Bone-in chicken pieces, egg, milk, flour, canola oil, salt & pepper.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I didn't see her perform but I saw logging into the computer last night that she arrived in an egg? (I've never seen Spinal Tap, either, so not sure if that has anything to do w/ it). Also heard her new song, Born This Way, last wk & was not impressed. I sorta feel that after awhile, some artists try so hard that it actually backfires. She has major talent & definitely strong opinions, but after awhile it is like "i get it already!"
Yes! The egg!! Here's why that was so funny - I believe her egg had difficulty opening as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbi5Zegp55o

Quote:
The only performance I saw was Celio Green. Gywneth Paltrow???
I thought he was great. I'm not really liking Gwyneth's rebirth as a singer, tho.

Quote:
And I turned it off after Lady Antebellum won best song. IMO, not the best song of the year but definitely the most overplayed on the radio.
Ugg. No offense to those who like country but it's not the CMA's. I turned it off after Celio.

Quote:
Finster- why is radio falling apart? We have lost almost all our dj's to computer generated playlists. NPR has been taken out of our area as well as the classical station, which I loved. It's awful. I am a radio listener & enjoy music. I am actually finding myself listening to AM & the likes of Rush & Glenn....
Well most industry people will point you to one answer: Clear Channel. They own most of the stations these days. And it's never really been the DJ's choice as to which music to play (mostly). Plus you need to pay god-awful amounts of money to pluggers - people that have radio station contacts and make sure your record gets picked up by radio - but really it's a small enclosed world and only the big players' (labels) artists get picked anymore. Even to get on a college station you need to hire a PR company to get on the playlist, and it's next to impossible.

They'll tell you Payola is illegal, but there's lots of ways around it.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Even to get on a college station you need to hire a PR company to get on the playlist, and it's next to impossible.
Interesting. I'll have to ask my brother about that Finster. He got his start on a college station in the early 70's and they'd play anything they wanted (pretty much). They were always looking for a garage band with a demo or whatever. He knew Dr. Demento from back then. (Psr mentioned listening to him.) Demento (who was at a different station but all those guys knew each other) took what a lot of young guys were doing and turned it into a well-paying permanent gig.

I'm another radio person BTW. Growing up L.A. had some great personalities. I can remember hearing the Beatles live from the Hollywood Bowl on KRLA. That sort of thing would never happen these days. Pity.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:46 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Spinal Tap That's funny! I haven't seen that movie but I love, love, love Christopher Guest's other stuff - Best in Show, A Mighty Wind...

Fast food - gross. Fast food is a rare in our house, but I can't do without it all together.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Interesting. I'll have to ask my brother about that Finster. He got his start on a college station in the early 70's and they'd play anything they wanted (pretty much). They were always looking for a garage band with a demo or whatever. He knew Dr. Demento from back then. (Psr mentioned listening to him.) Demento (who was at a different station but all those guys knew each other) took what a lot of young guys were doing and turned it into a well-paying permanent gig.

I'm another radio person BTW. Growing up L.A. had some great personalities. I can remember hearing the Beatles live from the Hollywood Bowl on KRLA. That sort of thing would never happen these days. Pity.
Yeah, the college radio circuit is a lot more commercialized than it once was. Getting regular rotation on the bigger college stations is just as important as regular radio. I'm sure you can still find DJ's in your hometown that will play local groups occasionally, but college radio is practically just as hard to get played on as your commercial stations.

The internet is the new college radio. I'd be interested to hear what your brother thinks of the changes over the years, Dew.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Ever want to run away? I want to chuck it all and go teach English abroad?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Ever want to run away? I want to chuck it all and go teach English abroad?
Yes! I want to go live in a villa in Tuscany. I want to paint and cook and sit and look at the olive trees and the cypress trees and drink Chianti and say "Ciao bella" a lot.

My sister called a couple of days ago. Her daughter is going to study in Italy this summer. We spent an hour on the phone telling each other we needed two months in Italy more than a 19-year old.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I usually want to run away. I just assumed everyone felt that way...

We're hoping to go to Italy next summer. DD will graduate from college, DS will graduate from HS. My niece will also graduate from HS....AND (the big one) My sister knows someone with a villa in Tuscany!

Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
AND (the big one) My sister knows someone with a villa in Tuscany!
OMG! It will take me ten minutes to get my suitcase out of the garage. Can you wait that long?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting