U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 07:56 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,773,973 times

Advertisements

a lot of people are out of work and would be happy to have ANY job right now. BTW, I worked at the same restaurant from ages 17-22 and a second restaurant ages 22-almost 24. then I started my career and had the same job for 10 years. Just sayin'.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I like how people who experience the same thing always think that the other person doesn't even fathom what it is like....

Do you have two fused from birth vertebrae in your neck? Do you have a slight sway in your lower back?
Have you been in multiple car accidents that have screwed you up?
Did you miss months of school in 7th grade after a car crash because the doctors kept you on celebrex and you as a child didn't know how to function on such a strong med?
Does fibromyalgia run in your family?

You don't even KNOW what I go through daily.
Honey, you don't even know what I go through daily. And I am not about to tell you. Because, unlike you dear child, I don't complain. You know zero about my life and what I've gone through just to be sitting here at my computer.

And I don't complain because I've been in hospitals and met men and women far worse off than me: cancer from Agent Orange when they're in their 30's, PTSD from Vietnam, devestating head injuries from Iraq, wearing bags from colostomies, burned from chemotherapy, paralyzed from the neck down from being shot in the neck (met those guys in college BTW) men who were tortured in the Hanoi Hilton (yes, I know a few of those heroes personally), 22-year olds who were blinded. Yeah. You meet a few of those and you ask, "What can I do for you? How can I help?" And you shut up about yourself.

You're young. I hope to heaven you learn.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Then I will find somewhere else that gives me health insurance and as long as I get another job with health insurance with enough time to get that established. I have 6 months exactly before academy, I have 3 months to get another job.

NO WAY can I work this job and do academy, I would be in way too much pain and it would be stupid.
Why doesn't your mother have you on her health insurance?

Old 03-01-2011, 08:18 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,492,371 times
I was recently in a very poor area, the apartment was very small, with a single Mother, and SIX, yes, SIX, children. Ranging in age from 11 to 2. Why would anyone who is poor, have so many kids? I just don't understand it. Birth control is readily available, or adoption, or even have one or two kids and tie the tubes. She is uneducated, and unemployed. If she did not have so many kids she could attend college, make a better life for herself, or at least maintain employment. Is this a cultural issue, and I just don't understand her culture? Doesn't she realize that she does not have the resources for that many children? She does not have a car, they live 10 miles from the ocean, she has never taken her children to the beach. The kids look well fed, actually fat, they drink Kool Aid with sugar and were eating mac n cheese when I was there. I feel badly for these children. And yes, the Mom is pregnant. They have nothing, all their clothes are cast offs, I just don't understand. She can't even support herself, but she has all these kids, and is having another one.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Is this a cultural issue, and I just don't understand her culture?
I can't really answer that without knowing her culture. For example, if she's mexican, she could be living much better now than she did in Mexico.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,677,768 times
[quote=txtqueen;18092646]I like how people who experience the same thing always think that the other person doesn't even fathom what it is like....

Do you have two fused from birth vertebrae in your neck? Do you have a slight sway in your lower back?
Quote:
I was born with accute lordosis (swayback) which got progressively worse as I grew. I -also- had weakened hip trouble because I started walking before my legs were strong enough to handle the load, and walked on my toes until around 4th grade.

Quote:
Have you been in multiple car accidents that have screwed you up?
Yes- including one accident in 1983 in which I broke my femur (left thigh), radius and ulna (both bones in the left forearm), clavicle (left collarbone), 3 ribs, had spinal trauma, a concussion, split my lip, loosened my front teeth, had an embelism on its way to explode my left lung, was hospitalized for 2 weeks, had multiple surgeries, and intensive physical therapy for 6 months. That was just ONE car accident, in which I was flipped over the back of a moped when the driver plowed into a car at a major intersection without stopping. The driver was my best friend. He died of massive internal injuries and a broken neck.

Quote:
Did you miss months of school in 7th grade after a car crash because the doctors kept you on celebrex and you as a child didn't know how to function on such a strong med?
No, I almost didn't make it back to college but instead of whining about my fate, I picked my arse up off my little pity party, brushed myself off, grabbed my cane, and got back to the job of living my life. I graduated with honors and 3 credits shy of a double major. On time.

Quote:
Does fibromyalgia run in your family?
Yes, as does rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, breast cancer, and ahler's danlose syndrome (which I have).

You don't even KNOW what I go through daily.
You need to stop whining and get back to the job of learning how to live life. You've demonstrated here on the forum that you're more interested in complaining about how much your life sucks, than you are in learning how to actually live it.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,677,768 times
Quote:
I was recently in a very poor area, the apartment was very small, with a single Mother, and SIX, yes, SIX, children. Ranging in age from 11 to 2. Why would anyone who is poor, have so many kids? I just don't understand it. Birth control is readily available, or adoption, or even have one or two kids and tie the tubes. She is uneducated, and unemployed. If she did not have so many kids she could attend college, make a better life for herself, or at least maintain employment. Is this a cultural issue, and I just don't understand her culture? Doesn't she realize that she does not have the resources for that many children? She does not have a car, they live 10 miles from the ocean, she has never taken her children to the beach. The kids look well fed, actually fat, they drink Kool Aid with sugar and were eating mac n cheese when I was there. I feel badly for these children. And yes, the Mom is pregnant. They have nothing, all their clothes are cast offs, I just don't understand. She can't even support herself, but she has all these kids, and is having another one.
It sounds like a typical "family" in section 8 housing to me. Add a crack addiction to the mix, and you'd get an iron-clad explanation. Without the crack addiction, it could be cultural, or it could be a religious excuse (no, we're supposed to be virgins til we're married - but we didn't want to obey THAT rule..however, we don't believe in birth control or abortion because THAT would be against our religion..<headbang>)

It could be just plain ignorance. The kids are probably horribly malnourished - they could probably be poster children for the "war on obesity."

Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,990,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
IIRC, his dad (William McMahon) was quite the conservative. He was Prime Minister when I was little. I wonder what he would have thought of Julian's profession (and Nip/Tuck in particular). I think he died prior to Julian's success.
Hey, conservatives can enjoy the show. I'm extremely conservative in both morals and politics, and I love Nip/Tuck.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,990,096 times
Quote:
A lot of poor people are Catholic, and artificial birth control is a big no-no in Catholicism. Some people have no problem with being poor. They don't need all the material things that most Americans seem to think are necessary. Not everyone wants to go to college. Now, she should try to find some sort of job in my opinion. Also, assuming she's on welfare, I think the payments go up when you have more kids.

I don't like the my religion says I can't have pre-marital sex, but I'll do it anyway. However, I definitely can't have an abortion or use artificial birth control. An abortion in these religions is seen as murder. Using artificial birth control is seen as interfering with God's will. Those are seen as much worse things than having pre-marital sex.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:27 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,773,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
A lot of poor people are Catholic, and artificial birth control is a big no-no in Catholicism. Some people have no problem with being poor. They don't need all the material things that most Americans seem to think are necessary. Not everyone wants to go to college. Now, she should try to find some sort of job in my opinion. Also, assuming she's on welfare, I think the payments go up when you have more kids.

I don't like the my religion says I can't have pre-marital sex, but I'll do it anyway. However, I definitely can't have an abortion or use artificial birth control. An abortion in these religions is seen as murder. Using artificial birth control is seen as interfering with God's will. Those are seen as much worse things than having pre-marital sex.
how old are you and how does your religion feel about unwed mothers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting