Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 09:03 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How can they afford it? Isn't the cost of living high there?
Unfortunately, many of the "real" hippies you see are homeless. But Boulder is hard to describe - lots of people with money who like to look the part. Boulder is definitely it's own world....

Old 03-11-2011, 09:06 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Unfortunately, many of the "real" hippies you see are homeless. But Boulder is hard to describe - lots of people with money who like to look the part. Boulder is definitely it's own world....
I was waiting for jk to answer that because she is much closer to Boulder...I haven't been there for years....but that is my understanding also....more "trust fund" hippies than real hippies....

Old 03-11-2011, 09:23 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's cute! How will he find like-minded rugby and cricket fans in your area?
He hasn't managed to find people willing to watch cricket with him. I don't mind the one-day test-matches, but 4 days - yawn! Lots of rugby fans here, and that's the main sport we watch All the colleges and universities around here have pretty active rugby teams. You never hear of them because football dominates every aspect of people's lives. High school football games here sell out their season tickets in a couple of hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Zimbo - I have very fond memories of astoundingly hot summer days in Oz spent with my grandma inside with the house all closed up against the heat and the cricket on all day.

Her and my great auntie Hilba would sip black tea and smoke ciggies and we'd have crab sandwiches with mayonnaise and white pepper on really soft white bread. Yum.
Good memories. I used to go with my parents and grandparents to watch the test-matches. I have clear memories of the old ladies sitting out in the blazing African sun wearing pantihose, and drinking hot tea. When I was a teenager we used to buy cheap seats, which was lying under trees far from the action. The main reason was to snog, and we would inject oranges with a variety of booze. The parents never figured that one out. My fave is watching rugby. Invictus has been watched many times in our house.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:34 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
and we would inject oranges with a variety of booze. The parents never figured that one out.
My parents used to do that when I was a kid. (We kids were the ones who couldn't figure out why there were oranges we weren't allowed to eat.)

Old 03-11-2011, 09:48 AM

Wow - I've never heard of that..hmmm...

Old 03-11-2011, 10:52 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
My kids have off of school today are we are watching Full House re-runs Such a lame (but cute) show!

Old 03-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Popping in since Dew said on another thread that she always wanted a daughter...

Funny because just last night as I was removing my make up, washing my face etc I was thinking of the difference between sons and daughters (one little one anyway)....Sons (IME) will either not comment on your appearance one way or another - or they will say something sweet....Daughters will say things like "you're not really thinking of wearing that anywhere are you?" and "you need to tweeze - you have a chin hair"....Bless their hearts.

Seriously though - I really enjoy having one of each.....they are all special in their own way.

Last edited by maciesmom; 03-11-2011 at 11:53 AM..

Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
My sons went through the "how Mom looks embarasses me" phase. One trip to a mall my sister and I stopped at one of those stands that have fake hair pieces. I tried on one piece that had a platinum blonde ponytail thing that embarassed them half to death. So, of course, I bought it. Whenever they got snarky I threatened to wear it to their ballgames.

I had actually wanted all sons, so I got lucky. But now I look back on it and wish I'd had a daughter. Hopefully one that was all girly and liked shopping for clothes.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You know...baseball is the one sport that our whole family enjoys...even DD. I often get tired of it toward the end of the season - because the season is so long but...watching baseball is more than just watching the game (for me...football is all about the game) it's the whole experience....the actual game is just a part of it....kind of like a concert on the green....
Baseball is one of those sports where you really have to be there in person in most cases. I, though, love to watch it even on TV. It's my favorite sport, but now we don't have TV. We'll have to save some money and go watch some Dodgers' games. Go Dodgers. I come from a baseball family, and those who don't like it are at times made fun of.

Now, football I can't stand. People find me weird because I find football to be extremely boring. Then, they find it even stranger because I love hockey.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
My kids have off of school today are we are watching Full House re-runs Such a lame (but cute) show!
Blasphemy. Full House is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting