Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 05:03 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times

Advertisements

Does everyone who applies to the academy get accepted? She's making it sound that way so just wondering. Like it's a shoe in in August.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:06 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Txt - trust me..if you can't handle the physicality of shelf stocking, you'll never get through the academy. You do understand that having the application is not the same as actually submitting it? And don't you need health insurance to do that? Most companies do not offer health insurance until you've been there 90 days. Do the math.
I can stock shelves don't be such a SA....
Its STANDING for 8 full hours and sitting maybe 2-3 minutes max maybe twice the whole time and then getting up because my boss checks the cameras and I don't want to get into trouble for sitting.

I can lift heavy stuff but IMO its asinine to expect someone to stand for 8 hours a day and tell them to stay busy and not sit and rest like a normal person needs to.

With the average 8 hour a day job you get AT LEAST 50 minutes of break time, I got a 30 for lunch and two 10's at BBB.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Bingo - gas is going up. People tip what they tip - they most likely won't increase their tips because gas is $4/gallon instead of $2. And the folks ordering Dominos are not necessarily high tippers. Not to mention the wear and tear (more mileage = tires wearing out faster, more frequent oil changes etc).
My car gets like in the higher 20's, like 26 to 28 miles to the gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Txt - have you ever thought of getting a job in an office? You seem to have some good attributes for an office job - you know your way around a computer, your spelling and grammar seem pretty good, you like to be well-groomed. Have you ever considered it?

Getting 40 hrs a week out of pizza delivering sounds difficult to achieve unless you want to work 7 nights a week (and even then, probably unrealistic). And you won't get to be around people much - the pizza store will throw you an armload of pizza boxes, you'll be on your own delivering them, and the recipients will barely look at you, let alone engage you.

Perhaps you need to set your sights a little higher and look for a job that could possibly turn into a worthwhile career.
Kobber, I am going to become a cop. I have to WAIT for my health insurance to kick in so I can get proof of health insurance and a physical because I have to send that paperwork in with my application. Its maybe another couple weeks or less before that kicks in, giving me PLENTY of time to find another job. I will not be making an office job my career. I love law enforcement and its what I am going to do and I am not going to listen to people on the internet telling me to give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Does everyone who applies to the academy get accepted? She's making it sound that way so just wondering. Like it's a shoe in in August.
If you have a clean driving record, little to no past drug use, if your application is appealing to the academy you get in. Won't be that hard for me.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
The academies here are run at community colleges, its essentially taking college law enforcement classes and a couple strength and conditioning classes.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
I have to WAIT for my health insurance to kick in so I can get proof of health insurance and a physical because I have to send that paperwork in with my application. Its maybe another couple weeks or less before that kicks in, giving me PLENTY of time to find another job. I will not be making an office job my career. I love law enforcement and its what I am going to do and I am not going to listen to people on the internet telling me to give up.

1)...What health insurance - you won't have it if you quit this job. Just saying you have it when you apply isn't enough. You must have it when you are attending. That's why they are asking.

2) Telling you to give up? Seriously? Txt we've been telling you for 1.5 years to get started! You haven't even done that! At some point you've got to **** or get off the pot. Have you completed the application? No. Have you completed the FAFSA? Betting money that's a no also.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
And DewDrop explodes and tells txt what REAL back pain is in 3...2...

Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I can lift heavy stuff but IMO its asinine to expect someone to stand for 8 hours a day and tell them to stay busy and not sit and rest like a normal person needs to.

With the average 8 hour a day job you get AT LEAST 50 minutes of break time, I got a 30 for lunch and two 10's at BBB.
Seriously....you are complaining about this, but want to be a cop? Loooong shifts, sometimes no sleep for a few days, all kinds of physical discomfort. Wise up chicka!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Kobber, I am going to become a cop. I have to WAIT for my health insurance to kick in so I can get proof of health insurance and a physical because I have to send that paperwork in with my application. Its maybe another couple weeks or less before that kicks in, giving me PLENTY of time to find another job. I will not be making an office job my career. I love law enforcement and its what I am going to do and I am not going to listen to people on the internet telling me to give up.
The academy wants proof of health insurance because health insurance is a requirement for attending. If you quit this job, you won't have health insurance. Pizza delivery drivers don't get health insurance. Even if you get a job with another company that has health insurance, you'll have another waiting period. You're making a big mistake by not looking at the big picture---focusing on what needs to be done for your long-term goal to become a police officer. Stop focusing on the here and now. Suck it up and deal with it.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And DewDrop explodes and tells txt what REAL back pain is in 3...2...
I like how people who experience the same thing always think that the other person doesn't even fathom what it is like....

Do you have two fused from birth vertebrae in your neck? Do you have a slight sway in your lower back?
Have you been in multiple car accidents that have screwed you up?
Did you miss months of school in 7th grade after a car crash because the doctors kept you on celebrex and you as a child didn't know how to function on such a strong med?
Does fibromyalgia run in your family?

You don't even KNOW what I go through daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Seriously....you are complaining about this, but want to be a cop? Loooong shifts, sometimes no sleep for a few days, all kinds of physical discomfort. Wise up chicka!
Do you even know what it is like in the life of a cop?
I have best friends that are cops, I spent 2 years as an explorer. Sometimes my friends get little sleep but those guys work on graves and sometimes have court around 11am after getting off work at 7am and then have to be back at work at 9pm, but theres time to sleep around that. The shifts are 10 hours TWO more than I work now but you're sitting in a cop car for that 10 hours, getting out to do traffic stops, deal with domestic violence or whatever else.

And I know how uncomfy it can get sitting in a cop car for 10 hours with a vest on (I own my own vest) and a belt with nearly 30 pounds worth of gear on it (I also have my own belt with holsters galore) but its no where near going 5 days in a row 8 hours each day, standing the whole time. Its no where near as terrible as sitting in a cop car for 10 hours.
I was a gung ho explorer, I did a ride along a week when I was an explorer cause it was the max I could do per post rules but I rode with other departments so one night I would be with my town and the next night I would be with county or maybe another neighboring town.

Not to mention I was doing training with my friends, running, getting tackled, wrestling when we would work on weapons retention.

Trust me I PREFER all that over this gas station.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The academy wants proof of health insurance because health insurance is a requirement for attending. If you quit this job, you won't have health insurance. Pizza delivery drivers don't get health insurance. Even if you get a job with another company that has health insurance, you'll have another waiting period. You're making a big mistake by not looking at the big picture---focusing on what needs to be done for your long-term goal to become a police officer. Stop focusing on the here and now. Suck it up and deal with it.
Then I will find somewhere else that gives me health insurance and as long as I get another job with health insurance with enough time to get that established. I have 6 months exactly before academy, I have 3 months to get another job.

NO WAY can I work this job and do academy, I would be in way too much pain and it would be stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting