U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times
Reputation: 3018

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
LMAO.. you say that now, but you will be singing a WHOLE different tune when you actually have kids. Trust me, been there, done that
You say this to us now, but watch....unlike LK, I WILL be having kids.
And once they turn 18, they will be turned loose, because by 18 years old I will have raised someone smart, talented, educated and if they want to have a decent relationship with someone, work towards their goals and start building their life while living at home with me, I am fine with the idea of them spending the night away with that person because I want them to find a partner and love and be happy and be successful in all areas of their life. Who am I to hold someone back from working at a relationship with the person they have feelings for/love?

 
Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 PM
 
Location: North America
14,212 posts, read 9,611,695 times
Reputation: 5534
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
When I was 18/19 my mom probably would have said no.
But I was still allowed to sleep over at friends houses and she never really checked in as to if I was telling the truth or not, so if I wanted to, I could have gotten away with it.

But when I was 21 is when I met TG and she asked a few times but never made a huge case of it, nor ever told me I wasn't allowed to.

And I am the same, as long as they are doing *something* I don't care what they do outside their house, but when they step foot onto the property they'll have to follow my rules.

I mean if i was 14 they would have made an issue out of it. But being older, going to school they never cared.
 
Old 01-18-2012, 06:40 PM
 
11,229 posts, read 9,225,730 times
Reputation: 14654
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
You say this to us now, but watch....unlike LK, I WILL be having kids.
And once they turn 18, they will be turned loose, because by 18 years old I will have raised someone smart, talented, educated
I knew everything about parenting when I was 18 too!

Quote:
and if they want to have a decent relationship with someone, work towards their goals and start building their life while living at home with me,
Building a life... while ... having free room and board. Just weird.
 
Old 01-18-2012, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times
Reputation: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I mean if i was 14 they would have made an issue out of it. But being older, going to school they never cared.
Yeah 14 is one story.....
18+, graduated from high school is another.
 
Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 PM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Reputation: 42368
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Yes, but a few of you have also backed him in saying that an adult child living at home should not be allowed to spend the night at a bf/gf's house.
I want to know WHY some people think its inappropriate, that's not too much to ask.
Why does it matter? You're not offering advice to the OP and the situation doesn't even fit you. You're neither a parent nor a kid who doesn't get to spend the night with her boyfriend.

Do you have any advice for the original poster, the one who actually has the problem?
 
Old 01-18-2012, 06:48 PM
 
Location: North America
14,212 posts, read 9,611,695 times
Reputation: 5534
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Why does it matter? You're not offering advice to the OP and the situation doesn't even fit you. You're neither a parent nor a kid who doesn't get to spend the night with her boyfriend.

Do you have any advice for the original poster, the one who actually has the problem?


Yeah give her kid a whuppin
 
Old 01-18-2012, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times
Reputation: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I knew everything about parenting when I was 18 too!


Building a life... while ... having free room and board. Just weird.
What do you call going to college and getting an education and working towards your career?
You are building the foundation of your life.

And what if Mr.Right comes along what you are suppose to tell him?
"Sorry, we'll have to have a half-assed relationship and I'll have to work around my parents to see you and don't ever count on me spending the night because they won't allow it and you'll feel frustrated and like you are dating a child the whole time and like you're back to dating in high school because my parents have my umbilical cord tied around my neck and tethered to the lawn."
 
Old 01-18-2012, 06:54 PM
 
11,229 posts, read 9,225,730 times
Reputation: 14654
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
What do you call going to college
Being a kid. I was there.

Quote:
and getting an education and working towards your career?
You are building the foundation of your life.

And what if Mr.Right comes along what you are suppose to tell him?
Hey look at my pad.
 
Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times
Reputation: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Why does it matter? You're not offering advice to the OP and the situation doesn't even fit you. You're neither a parent nor a kid who doesn't get to spend the night with her boyfriend.

Do you have any advice for the original poster, the one who actually has the problem?
Yes, actually I do.
To the OP: While I respect your stance on pre-marital sex and your son spending the night at his girlfriends house, I do think you should pick your battles.
If your son is on the right track, is doing SOMETHING, whether it be school, work, learning a trade, then it shouldn't be an issue.

I think you should ACCEPT that others have different beliefs than you do and that forcing another adult to live the way you do is wrong and that you should live and let live and hope that you raised a smart son who will be responsible with anything he does.

Also, these are crucial years, please don't push your son away by being so narrow minded and closed to the way others live and operate in their lives.

There could be ACTUAL worse things he could be doing. This doesn't even fall under the "worse" category, it's "normal", he is in a healthy and committed relationship, why ruin it for him by being controlling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Yeah give her kid a whuppin
Yeah because spanking an 18 year old is just as logical as forbidding them from having sex or spending the night with their bf/gf.
 
Old 01-18-2012, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times
Reputation: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Being a kid. I was there.


Hey look at my pad.
Not if you still live at home while working and going to college.
As a near 23 year old, if I went out on a date with someone and they told me they had to be home by X time because of their parents, I would be like, well that's nice but I don't think this will work out.
I wouldn't want to feel like I was dating a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top