U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,684,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Pagan...you don't know that. I am related to a couple of women like this mom. The aunts and uncles of this child have small children of their own. There can be so very many reasons why she was tossed about. Did a family have her for a couple of years, the child had emotional and behavioral problems that were harmful for their own children? Did the mother show up at their homes...creating an unstable, violent or dangerous environment? Did she forcefully remove the child from their home?....only to dump her off at another family member's home at a later date? We don't know the circumstances here yet. The latest "news brief" on the accident states that the aunt lost control of the vehicle, skidded sideways in the road and was struck by another vehicle (coming from the opposite direction)...That is basically all we know. Anything else is speculation. What I don't believe IS speculation is that the family (and the other driver) is suffering greatly today and will be for a very long time.

Then you take the mother to court..to either adopt the child or sever her custodial rights, but to just toss the child about is not ever thinking about the child. And i too have known people like that....and all the kid wants is love....but when the child acts up hey the "no problem not mine" mentality creeps in and off the kid goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 12:57 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,100,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Then you take the mother to court..to either adopt the child or sever her custodial rights, but to just toss the child about is not ever thinking about the child. And i too have known people like that....and all the kid wants is love....but when the child acts up hey the "no problem not mine" mentality creeps in and off the kid goes.
You're completely igoring the scenarios that the extended family could have had no control over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Did [the mother] forcefully remove the child from their home?....only to dump her off at another family member's home at a later date?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:12 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,736,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Like what??? You don't know anything about them or the situation except that family members took the child in at certain times because she had an absent and addicted mother.

You don't know WHAT they were planning to do to resolve the situation.

Regardless, to have no sympathy for them in this child's death is unbelievably cold.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 PM

51,371 posts, read 50,647,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I have a question for those of you who wash your towels infrequently, or use them several times before a wash: How is your health? Do you have allergies, get colds often, other? Just curious.
No. Haven't been really sick in years.

Human beings aren't really as susceptible to germs as the pushers of hand sanitizer and other antiseptic products that use germ-paranoia advertising methods to sell their crap want you to believe.

Of course, if someone has a compromised immune system, that's a different story, but that's relatively rare. In everyday life, soap and water are sufficient to kill common germs.

Now every building you walk into has hand sanitizer at the entrance. Any evidence that colds, etc., are down because of this? Or just that sales of sanitizer are up?

Old 12-29-2010, 03:10 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,385,789 times
I do tend to be a little on the germ-aphobe side and had a theory that people who don't change their hand towels frequently, might be spreading disease within their households. I think bath towels are different since they are particular to each person.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:40 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,437,718 times
I applaud all of you that use bath towels more than once for saving a bit of our natural resources. Think of the water, electricty (for dryer) or gas (for dryer) that is consumed over the period of even one year with all those extra loads of towels. I use mine 2 or 3 times before washing. We just each have our own towel. Haven't had a cold or been sick for at least 5 years - maybe longer.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:47 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,782,510 times
Quote:
I do tend to be a little on the germ-aphobe side and had a theory that people who don't change their hand towels frequently, might be spreading disease within their households. I think bath towels are different since they are particular to each person.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:48 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,687,871 times
Quote:
Again - if you are using a towel to wipe your hands after -washing- them, then there shouldn't be any disease to spread on the towels. There's probably more germs in the air than on the surface of the cloth, because you can't scrub the air with a sponge.

Oh and I'd check that bath sponge - all that dried skin stuck to it - talk about disgusting?

Honestly - if your towel has disease on it, then someone is using that towel for something -other- than drying their skin.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,939,703 times
I wash towels once a week, my logic has always been that we are all clean after we get out of the shower and if we hang them up they dry off. I do put them in the dryer with a dryer sheet everyday just to make sure they are completely dried before reuse and keep that fresh smell. I wash my handtowels much more often, especially since my boys frequently forget to hang them back up.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:23 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,100,171 times
Quote:
Well, it makes perfect sense to use a separate hand towel than the person who is sick in the household. But if nobody is sick, there is no disease to spread. I don't change hand towels even when someone is sick in the household, and people in my house don't tend to spread diseases to each other. One person can have a cold or flu and nobody else in our house catches it. We've never been the type of family where everyone is getting sick and catching the same cold or flu from one another. We do a good job of keeping our hands away from our faces. When we're washing our hands to eat, we do that in the kitchen and use paper towels to dry our hands. So, hand towels don't really factor into spreading disease in my household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting