Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times

Advertisements

Bath towels - washed every week
Wash cloths - we get a new on every time, and they get washed when the basket if full
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Washing towels every day when they aren't even dirty is kind of wasteful. The OP must have high water bills!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:41 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
We re-use towels two/three times between washings. I have enough laundry!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:04 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
I grew up the same way you did (using a fresh towel every day when I took a bath.) Then my roommate introduced me to the method your children use, and it made better sense, so I switched to it.

Now, I wouldn't leave towels on the floor because that defeats the purpose, but her reasoning was that when you step out of the shower, you're clean, right? So when you wipe the clean water off with the towel and hang the towel to dry, it essentially dries only with clean water on it, ready to go the next day when you take a bath. So now I switch bath towels and hand towels once a week (would do washcloths more often if I used them.) It makes a LOT less laundry to do and wastes less water (plus puts less wear on towels putting them through the washer when they aren't really "dirty.")

Old 12-27-2010, 08:17 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Towels get washed once a week. They are thrown over the shower curtain pole to dry off. If someone decides the towel needs washing it's put in the laundry hamper. Nothing is left on the floor. No-thing. (House full of Virgos.)

If I had an 18-year old who didn't want to follow our Towel Rule #1 he'd be packed off to Hope's house wearing the towel around his waist and nothing else.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:20 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Shortly before he was due to come home for Christmas break, I asked my college freshman how his bedding was holding up in the dorm washing machines. He told me he hadn't washed his sheets, since August. Yuck! I sent him away with two complete sets, the extra one is still in his closet. He didn't see the need to wash them, since he showers every night before bed. I guess he never noticed his sheets are changed weekly at home, and have been for 18 years.

But, towels, yea, he washes them whenever he does laundry. I bought some quick-drying ones for school, and I want to replace the towels in the entire house with the same type. My kids do hang them up, either on a hook or throw them over the shower curtain rods, but I like a clean towel at least every other day.

You have a boy and you expected him to wash the sheets?

Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Towels get washed once a week. They are thrown over the shower curtain pole to dry off. If someone decides the towel needs washing it's put in the laundry hamper. Nothing is left on the floor. No-thing. (House full of Virgos.)

If I had an 18-year old who didn't want to follow our Towel Rule #1 he'd be packed off to Hope's house wearing the towel around his waist and nothing else.

Loved that Virgo remark. I have one daughter, age 19. She was due on August 18th and born on the 24th. Thank God. Two Leos in the house would have been disaster.

She was home from college for ten days--right now she's at her dad's. While she was home she painted her bedroom, did all her own laundry plus the dirty towels, washed the dishes every day, reorganized two of the kitchen cabinets, vacuumed everything, and decorated the house for Christmas. She NEVER leaves anything on the floor. She gets upset when I do, though.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:29 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Loved that Virgo remark. I have one daughter, age 19. She was due on August 18th and born on the 24th. Thank God. Two Leos in the house would have been disaster.

She was home from college for ten days--right now she's at her dad's. While she was home she painted her bedroom, did all her own laundry plus the dirty towels, washed the dishes every day, reorganized two of the kitchen cabinets, vacuumed everything, and decorated the house for Christmas. She NEVER leaves anything on the floor. She gets upset when I do, though.
Do we share a daughter...my DD keeps calling me at work for things to do because she's bored....my laundry is done and folded, the house is clean, the yard is scooped.....

Old 12-27-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Do we share a daughter...my DD keeps calling me at work for things to do because she's bored....my laundry is done and folded, the house is clean, the yard is scooped.....
Maybe so!

I'll never forget when she was about nine years old and it was around 7 o'clock in the evening, and she came to me and said, "Mom, I'm bored. Can I clean the bathroom?"

She goes to college now about three hours away. When I know she's coming home, I panic a little and try to make sure the house is clean enough for her. Isn't this backwards????

Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
LMAO! Don't forget to tell him to THANK GOD you let him take a towel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting