Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM

262 posts, read 550,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No pop music allowed in my home but I wish my kids would stop telling me to turn down the volume, they don't realize how much they sound like their grandfather. Luckily my kids like pretty much the same music I do so it's not an issue, classic rock, new rock, metal and some country but not pop country.
Makes no sense....my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianIce View Post
Just out of curiosity, why do you not allow pop music? What are the characteristics of pop music that are worse than country, metal, etc.? Is it that you think that the music is of lower quality, or does it have to do with the "pop" culture?

At the risk of sounding like a music snob , I do think that a lot of pop music is often pretty crappy. Not all, but a lot of the mainstream pop. I still listen to some of it, though...
Pretty much all of that - it's too contrived and annoying. If one of my kids did like it, they could listen in their rooms or with headphones but so far we're pretty much in tune when it comes to music.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BramH View Post
Makes no sense....my opinion.
I don't think music tastes are a matter of "sense" - just tastes. I'm just not into pop music. I'll listen to almost everything else.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't think music tastes are a matter of "sense" - just tastes. I'm just not into pop music. I'll listen to almost everything else.
Well if your own kids like a song of a style/genre you don't like you can also ignore it for a second and give him the pleasure of listening to that song.

At home we all have a different taste of music, and if someone doesn't like each others' songs we respect that and make no problem of it. I'm not saying it has to be like that in every house, but you're mentioning that a genre is not allowed in your house, and I am 100% sure there are also pop songs which you might like.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:11 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,176 times
Quote:
Well if your own kids like a song of a style/genre you don't like you can also ignore it for a second and give him the pleasure of listening to that song.

At home we all have a different taste of music, and if someone doesn't like each others' songs we respect that and make no problem of it. I'm not saying it has to be like that in every house, but you're mentioning that a genre is not allowed in your house, and I am 100% sure there are also pop songs which you might like.
And headphones are another great invention.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
And headphones are another great invention.
Yes they are, on your bike or in the library.
Also, with headphones youre not able to communicate with eachother, thats more annoying than listening a song you dont like.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
My dad is a retired concert pianist. My mom has a natural ear and plays as well. We grew up with the city's madrigal chorus practicing in our living room twice a month, and a big plastic bust of Beethoven on the Baldwin in the living room. Our music tastes didn't have to reflect theirs, but if we wanted to hear music in our house, we listened to whatever they would tolerate. If they didn't like it, we didn't listen to it in the house, or while they were driving. Their house, their speakers, their music. Fortunately, mom thought David Cassidy was as groovy as I did, though dad never understood why "Ah think ah luv eewwww" could be considered good music.

Also, Bumblebee Boogie for the win.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Yes they are, on your bike or in the library.
Also, with headphones youre not able to communicate with eachother, thats more annoying than listening a song you dont like.
Oh, forgot about that one, since I use sign language...lol. My bad! Luckily I'm deaf so my wife just plays her music loud enough for her but not quite loud enough for me to hear it or be distracted by the vibrations. I play my music on special headphones for the deaf/hard of hearing because we don't have any good speakers and I have to play my music so loud that it would make everyone else go deaf if I played it on speakers, lol.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My dad is a retired concert pianist. My mom has a natural ear and plays as well. We grew up with the city's madrigal chorus practicing in our living room twice a month, and a big plastic bust of Beethoven on the Baldwin in the living room. Our music tastes didn't have to reflect theirs, but if we wanted to hear music in our house, we listened to whatever they would tolerate. If they didn't like it, we didn't listen to it in the house, or while they were driving. Their house, their speakers, their music. Fortunately, mom thought David Cassidy was as groovy as I did, though dad never understood why "Ah think ah luv eewwww" could be considered good music.

Also, Bumblebee Boogie for the win.
That was the rule in my parents' house as well. We played music that at least everyone could tolerate. If it was something my mom really couldn't stand, my my dad and I would listen to it in the car or wait till she wasn't home to listen to it (really loud too)! My dad had two amazing sound systems and I will never forget the quality and crispness of that sound! My dad's and my taste for music is almost identical and remains so even to this day.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:56 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
It's not much of an issue now but I do not foresee censoring music or books in my home. It would go against a lot of what we believe in to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting