U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 AM
 
2,179 posts, read 2,821,025 times
Reputation: 2571

Advertisements

ItalianIce, love your User name by the way. Was hooked on that stuff as a kid.

It's a tough call sometimes, because as a parent, especially if you are a musician or an artist of any kind, you know that the last thing you should do is screen what music, movies, books, etc, your kids are exposed to. The funny thing is the younger they are, before they get all the references, the less consideration this has to be. As they get older, and not as much goes over their heads, that's when you will feel the need or at least the urge to start censoring. The problem with this is, you just never know what they will learn from. Truth is they can learn from most anything, even if it's just to learn what they don't like. Some of what we end up calling our 'taste' was done by elimination. In my family we have professional musicians, mostly jazz, and others that play one instrument or another. In my lineage we've had some classical musicians, three of which sat with pretty well known symphony orchestras. OP, given what you've told us about your family, chances are your children will end up listening to music that you would approve of. I'd say the only thing you should give any thought to at all should be lyric content. Some of the rap stuff is pretty toxic, at least last time I checked. Unless, like everything else, that's been watered down for the masses as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2010, 10:54 AM
 
131 posts, read 148,486 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
So you're saying they won't be listening to "pop that coochie" anytime soon?


Hahaha, probably not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 11:01 AM
 
131 posts, read 148,486 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
ItalianIce, love your User name by the way. Was hooked on that stuff as a kid.

It's a tough call sometimes, because as a parent, especially if you are a musician or an artist of any kind, you know that the last thing you should do is screen what music, movies, books, etc, your kids are exposed to. The funny thing is the younger they are, before they get all the references, the less consideration this has to be. As they get older, and not as much goes over their heads, that's when you will feel the need or at least the urge to start censoring. The problem with this is, you just never know what they will learn from. Truth is they can learn from most anything, even if it's to learn what they don't like. Much of what we end up calling our 'taste' was by elimination, a result of deciding what we don't like. In my family we have several professional musicians, mostly jazz and others that can play one instrument or another. In my lineage we've had classical musicians, three that sat with pretty well known symphony orchestras. OP, given what you told us about your family, chances are your children will end up listening to music that you will approve of. I'd say the only thing you should give any thought to at all would be lyric content. Some of the rap stuff is pretty toxic, at least last time I checked. Unless, like everything else, that's been watered down for the masses as well.
Yeah, the rap music is pretty bad. I'm certainly not going to play it on my own, and I'm really hoping that my kids don't come home one day in love with it! I think that with the music that I'm exposing them to, I'm kind of steering them away from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM
 
2,179 posts, read 2,821,025 times
Reputation: 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianIce View Post
Yeah, the rap music is pretty bad. I'm certainly not going to play it on my own, and I'm really hoping that my kids don't come home one day in love with it! I think that with the music that I'm exposing them to, I'm kind of steering them away from it.
I know what you mean. "Steer" is probably the right approach. If you start dictating or forbidding, that's when you've gone too far. If for no other reason than that will make it all the more appealing. My daughter who plays two instruments and is teaching herself her third, ended up with a very open mind musically. Even now, I'll walk by her room and hear some hip-hop or something you'd have to tied me down to listen to, but she is soon rid of it without my stepping in. I'd say your best bet is to fill their ears with so much good stuff there won't be much room left for the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 11:13 AM
 
9,057 posts, read 6,762,623 times
Reputation: 11013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
LOL get back with me on not censoring after one of your kids come home with Nickleback and crank up Something In Your Mouth.


busta
I remember running around singing "Afternoon Delight" when I was 11. Not much has changed, really.

Actually, speaking of musical taste when you're 11, the very first record I bought with my own money was Queen's A Night At The Opera. I just about wore that album out. I don't know what my Mum thought, I suddenly switched from Abba to Freddie Mercury overnight. ACDC soon followed. I think I must have been about 13 when I started blasting Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap in my room at full volume. Luckily she had a sense of humor about it. Oddly, it didn't make me want to run out and find a hit man to murder someone for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 12:57 PM
 
5,065 posts, read 13,323,751 times
Reputation: 3507
We never censored what music our kids listened to. We like rock, and my dh is very musically talented and plays numerous instruments. When growing up my kids were used to listening to rock music, and as adults their tastes run the same. In their early teens my kids had their own bands. I had to laugh at the poster who forbids pop music, thank God my kids never wanted to listen to it. It's like nails down a chalkboard to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Michigan--good on the rocks
2,544 posts, read 3,464,378 times
Reputation: 1932
My kids are 11 and 9. I have quite an extensive and varied music collection, and play a couple of instruments myself. My kids have pretty much full access to my collection (most of which has made its way to digital format by now). This includes everything from Miles Davis to the Clash, from Vivaldi to Chemical Brothers, and as much in between as I can afford. I tend to steer them around the stuff with questionable content if possible, but I don't make a big fuss about it. They've got enough to choose from that it hasn't really been a problem yet.

I will admit to being a bit of a snob about quality and creativity with music. It can be any style, but it had better be well done and display some original thinking or I am not interested. I figure if I expose them to enough good stuff, eventually they will be able to sort the good from the bad on their own. They have already shown some of this discernment. My daughter calls Justin Beiber "that weird girl" lol. When they find something they like that I haven't heard, I give it a fair listen. That's one way that I can discover new things.

I had one album taken from me by my Mother when I was in high school, it was Frank Zappa Live In New York. If you know the album, you know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 01:54 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,471,746 times
Reputation: 32249
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I had one album taken from me by my Mother when I was in high school, it was Frank Zappa Live In New York. If you know the album, you know why.
My brother has been a huge Zappa fan since before the MOI. While that particular album came out after he'd left home Frank's albums were always listened to with earphones.

He also had "the" poster in his bedroom. History didn't record my mother's reaction to it the first time she saw it. By then he ws already working odd-jobs in the music business and I think she was just happy he'd found something he liked and a source of income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 02:08 PM
 
9,057 posts, read 6,762,623 times
Reputation: 11013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My brother has been a huge Zappa fan since before the MOI. While that particular album came out after he'd left home Frank's albums were always listened to with earphones.

He also had "the" poster in his bedroom. History didn't record my mother's reaction to it the first time she saw it. By then he ws already working odd-jobs in the music business and I think she was just happy he'd found something he liked and a source of income.

If that's "the" poster I'm thinking of, the original was on exhibit at the Victoria and Albert museum in London in 2006. I'm sure she would not have been "amused".

I meant to acknowledge your shout out in my earlier post DewDrop. Been mia for a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 02:32 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,471,746 times
Reputation: 32249
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
If that's "the" poster I'm thinking of, the original was on exhibit at the Victoria and Albert museum in London in 2006. I'm sure she would not have been "amused".

I meant to acknowledge your shout out in my earlier post DewDrop. Been mia for a few days.
No problem. Yup. Same one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top