U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:19 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,161,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
My husband's cousin named his baby boy Pollock. Apparently it is a greek god. But they call him lucky. Have no idea why, he doesn't seem very lucky to me. When I named my son I wanted to use a certain middle name but his initials would have been SAD. I chose another name. It bothered me.
That would be "Pollux"-- not a god, but the son of one, and one of the twins (Castor being the other) in the constellation Gemini.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 12:32 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,996,156 times
worst names to name your daughter
emma or madison
worst names to name your son
jacob or aiden

want to make your kids life a living hell then give them one of these names. They're sure to have a million other kids sharing there name.
this goes double for kids that will be going to private school as people with money love these names even more.
my sister is a 1st grade teacher at a private school and says that she has yet to have a class in the last 6 years without at least two emmas and two madisons.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:34 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,252,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Why do people pick the names that they do?

It's not really my business but it still bothers me big time.

I ran into a lot of them when I processed applications for welfare back in the day.

For instance:

One woman had a pair of twins. She named one of them Rail. The other child she named DeRail. How stupid is that? It reminded me of that old joke about Deniece and Denephew.

My pregnant cousin shared a room with another pregnant woman in the hospital. The other woman chose the name for her baby from reading a bag in the room. Yep, she named her Urine. Pronounced your-een.

Then there was that guy who saw the movie "A River Runs Through It" and legally changed his name to "Fly Fishing in America." Heck, if I was going to go that route I would change my name to Brad Pitt. And I'm a girl.

My brother in law's name is Christopher. Nice name. But, it seems that a lot of companies, when sending out mail, limit the first name to 6 digits. So, my BIL gets a lot of mail addressed to Christ. He doesn't like that. I told him he didn't have to go to confession over it because it was not his fault. heeheehee

Anyway, some of the names that are chosen by parents, assigned because of digit numbers or legally adopted by some folks are just outrageous.

Have you ever run across any "interesting" ones?
yeah I heard of one goofball who couldn't think of a name for her new daughter and named the kid 'Camay'-- after seeing a soap commercial on t.v.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:44 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,378,981 times
The two most unusual names I have encountered while teaching:

Male- Marvellous (pronounced Mar-VEL-uhs)
Female- Tanshaniqua

Old 12-29-2010, 01:23 PM

991 posts, read 1,953,759 times
Here are some names from these here parts:

Diznee (adult female)
SouthernAnn (1st grader)
Oakley
Rusty Sample (classmate of my husband's)
Sir Cedric (1st grader in my daughter's class)

Old 12-29-2010, 01:43 PM

852 posts, read 1,135,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Here are some names from these here parts:

Diznee (adult female)
SouthernAnn (1st grader)
Oakley
Rusty Sample (classmate of my husband's)
Sir Cedric (1st grader in my daughter's class)
I kind of like Sir Cedric.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:48 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Why do people pick the names that they do?

It's not really my business but it still bothers me big time.

I ran into a lot of them when I processed applications for welfare back in the day.

For instance:

One woman had a pair of twins. She named one of them Rail. The other child she named DeRail. How stupid is that? It reminded me of that old joke about Deniece and Denephew.

My pregnant cousin shared a room with another pregnant woman in the hospital. The other woman chose the name for her baby from reading a bag in the room. Yep, she named her Urine. Pronounced your-een.

Then there was that guy who saw the movie "A River Runs Through It" and legally changed his name to "Fly Fishing in America." Heck, if I was going to go that route I would change my name to Brad Pitt. And I'm a girl.

My brother in law's name is Christopher. Nice name. But, it seems that a lot of companies, when sending out mail, limit the first name to 6 digits. So, my BIL gets a lot of mail addressed to Christ. He doesn't like that. I told him he didn't have to go to confession over it because it was not his fault. heeheehee

Anyway, some of the names that are chosen by parents, assigned because of digit numbers or legally adopted by some folks are just outrageous.

Have you ever run across any "interesting" ones?
I caught the giggles over Rail and DeRail. Yes, painfully stupid.

Urine, of course, is way beyond stupid.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I knew of kids named "Beautiful", "Messiah" and "Rotunga" .... I also knew a lady whose last name was "Butts", a guy with the last name of "Rumph" and "Tortula".
I have a friends with that last name. She said when she was a kid in school and the teacher was taking attendance, she would hear her first name called and yell "HERE" before the teacher could say the second one.

Reverend Calvin Butts of the famous Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem did OK with the name, though!

Old 12-29-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
worst names to name your daughter
emma or madison
worst names to name your son
jacob or aiden

want to make your kids life a living hell then give them one of these names. They're sure to have a million other kids sharing there name.
this goes double for kids that will be going to private school as people with money love these names even more.
my sister is a 1st grade teacher at a private school and says that she has yet to have a class in the last 6 years without at least two emmas and two madisons.
Yes, they are some overused names these days.

In my family we find it amusing that Jacob has made such a comeback. That was my grandfather's and uncle's names.

Madison just stymies me. It comes from the movie Mermaid with Tom Hanks, when the mermaid, after she grows legs and miraculously learns to read in a day, is walking around NYC and sees the street sign for Madison Avenue and decides to take that as her name. After that all these people started using it for a girl's name.

Emma is one of those revived old-lady names. I'm waiting for Myrtle and Bertha to come back next.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Once I had a patient with the first name Cheesette. It struck me as very odd at the time.
Please don't tell me you are a gynecologist and that she had a yeast infection...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or