U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:11 AM

2,060 posts, read 4,914,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I like gender neutral names. Being concerned over telling if a name belongs to a boy or girl is a little silly...what about people of different ethnicities? Are you going to freak out if you can't tell whether Bao Yu or Kaija are boys or girls, even though those are considered perfectly "normal" names in their countries of origin?

I don't necessarily think it is a smart idea to name a boy Stephanie instead of Stephen or a girl Robert instead of Roberta, but if a name is common for both males and females what is wrong with that? Morgan is a good, strong name for a boy; it's also a good, strong name for a girl and is common in both genders. Same with names like Taylor, Jamie, or Jessie.
I can't imagine naming my son Morgan, Taylor, Jamie or Jessie, I'm certain people would expect a girl before they expected a boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:55 AM

51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I can't imagine naming my son Morgan, Taylor, Jamie or Jessie, I'm certain people would expect a girl before they expected a boy.
That is funny, because they were all boy names before they were girl names. (At least Jessie spelled "Jesse".)

Old 01-03-2011, 09:56 AM

51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I kid you not I went to school with a girl named christmas snow aka chrissy snow and chevy nova (her dad was real big on cars ) . yeah I think the stupidest name I have ever heard was that Jason Lee , the actor named his kid Inspektor , I dont remember the middle name but my god come on people use some common sense .
Were they big fans of "Three's Company"?????

Chevy Nova--well, I don't know what to say about that one!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is funny, because they were all boy names before they were girl names. (At least Jessie spelled "Jesse".)
Exactly. Those names were and are boys names, but the more they are given to girls, the less people want to use them for boys. Seems like there are less and less cute boys names to choose from because they are being taken by all the girls!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 PM

10,104 posts, read 9,337,589 times
I think that we just need to make this clear...ethnic names (regardless of whether you are the ethnicity or not) are not in the same league as made up, nonsensical names (i.e. Pilot Inspektor). My daughters' names are Kalinda and Anjali...which are shortened to Kali and Anji (Angie). Both names are of Sanskrit origin and have meaning to me, and I really don't care if they conform to other's names. My first name isn't all that common either..and kids will tease you regardless.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:54 PM

852 posts, read 1,136,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I think that we just need to make this clear...ethnic names (regardless of whether you are the ethnicity or not) are not in the same league as made up, nonsensical names (i.e. Pilot Inspektor). My daughters' names are Kalinda and Anjali...which are shortened to Kali and Anji (Angie). Both names are of Sanskrit origin and have meaning to me, and I really don't care if they conform to other's names. My first name isn't all that common either..and kids will tease you regardless.
I wasn't saying they were, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way in my post. I intended the part about unusual names to be separate from Pilot Inspektor, which I think we can all agree has an element of the ridiculous.

Your daughters' names are beautiful. My real first name (it isn't Lucy) is very common and gender neutral, and I've always wished I had a more unique one. I named my daughters old anglo names (we're of English/Irish/German ethnicity) from literature.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:55 PM

4,218 posts, read 7,860,659 times
Collective human memory is so short! Modern naming deviations pale in comparison to the imagination of people in 19 century and earlier.

Read this thread from the Genealogy forum:

Unusual first names

Parents, if you are LOOKING for unusual first names, this is just a teaser-preview from the past (taken from that thread):

Carman, Baden, Shuter, Gursham, Ogle, Noadiah, Zenis, Ami, Zimri (the previous three from the same family surnamed Curtis), Sylocater, Seo, Humphrus Goorley, Alva, Alpheus, Menzo, Jotham, Maloom, Daro, Driano, Mency, Almon, Elon, Galusha.

Perdita , Ordelia, Arletta, Audra, Eldrena, Zula (my favorite grand aunt), Sabra (not Jewish), Marit, Arzelia/Arzella, Arla, Sophonia/Sophrona (in vogue briefly), Iladell, Lulula, Metta, Lillice, Orstellia, Ilya, Mahala (in fashion briefly), Huldah (a clunker IMO), Alvira, Awilda, Thressa (not a misspelling), Orpha, Naoma, Alzina, Lodica, Assanath, Almidia

Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 PM

10,104 posts, read 9,337,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
I wasn't saying they were, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way in my post. I intended the part about unusual names to be separate from Pilot Inspektor, which I think we can all agree has an element of the ridiculous.

Your daughters' names are beautiful. My real first name (it isn't Lucy) is very common and gender neutral, and I've always wished I had a more unique one. I named my daughters old anglo names (we're of English/Irish/German ethnicity) from literature.
thanks wanted to clarify that i wasn't referencing your post personally..it was more of a general statement that the weirdo names =/= ethnic names. Your name might be pretty common, but I'm almost certain that you, the person, make it special.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Nuala a lot of those sound like they would be good choices for the Duggars!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 AM

2,346 posts, read 5,799,190 times
The goofiest name of anyone I personally knew was the grandchild of a former neighbor, a boy named President. Um, bonus points for thinking big, but I don't think so.

Most unfortunate name - even worse than Butts - has to go to one of my HS classmates, a girl with the last name of Horr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or