U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:24 AM

4,755 posts, read 7,547,905 times

Advertisements

I knew a Mary Christmas once.

Down here in the south, it is common to meet men with what I consider "double" names such as John Johnson, Tom Thomas, Bill Williams, Bob Roberts. Not sure what the thinking behind that is.

I have to shake my head when I read the police blotter in our local newspaper - seems like some parents are just setting up their children for lives of crime and failure with the names they give them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 05:59 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,747,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I can't imagine naming my son Morgan, Taylor, Jamie or Jessie, I'm certain people would expect a girl before they expected a boy.
It's so confusing, lol. All Jamie's I know are girls, but all Jesse's are boys. I have a girl with the middle name Morgan, but it's a family surname-I didn't use it as a first name because it sounded 'boy' to me. All adult Taylors I know are men but all child ones are girls. Same with Jordans!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 AM

2,820 posts, read 3,067,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
But we aren't talking about people from other ethnicities and other countries. We are talking about our own communities.

There is nothing "wrong" with Taylor/Tyler/Chris/Morgan/Parker/etc., etc. etc.

But neither is there anything "wrong" with a girl having a traditionally feminine name and a boy having a traditionally masculine name.

Parents are into giving children names that no-one else has. I knew a girl named (first name) Fields. IMHO, that is a little stupid, akin to naming your child Apple, Sparrow, or Moon Unit ala so many celebrities.
First of all, this an international forum with posters from all over the world, not just small town USA. Second of all, I take it you're completely ignorant of the fact that there might just actually be someone in your community from a different country or of a different ethnicity?! I know that's probably a VERY absurd thought to you, but venture out a little and you'll see not everyone here has a "bread and butter" kind of background.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,167,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Ahh I see. I wonder why they chose it. Any special about this particular son?
Not that I recall offhand. Though at least Pollux wouldn't be subject to "oil" jokes, like his twin Castor.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,167,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I think that we just need to make this clear...ethnic names (regardless of whether you are the ethnicity or not) are not in the same league as made up, nonsensical names (i.e. Pilot Inspektor). My daughters' names are Kalinda and Anjali...which are shortened to Kali and Anji (Angie). Both names are of Sanskrit origin and have meaning to me, and I really don't care if they conform to other's names. My first name isn't all that common either..and kids will tease you regardless.
I'm hoping Kali doesn't take after the Goddess of the same name, if only for your sake.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,541,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyj42 View Post
I know a couple of people with the last name of Butts.
I think that would be better than Cox or Glasscock.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:39 AM

3,746 posts, read 2,927,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
First of all, this an international forum with posters from all over the world, not just small town USA. Second of all, I take it you're completely ignorant of the fact that there might just actually be someone in your community from a different country or of a different ethnicity?! I know that's probably a VERY absurd thought to you, but venture out a little and you'll see not everyone here has a "bread and butter" kind of background.

And maybe if you were not busy being condescending and arrogant, you could go back to the original post and understand that the OP was not referring to ethnic and/or international names. The OP was referring to just regular middle of the road American names.

Also, you should not make assumptions about small town nonsense or what my knowledge of my own community is.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 PM

6 posts, read 12,243 times
In the best-selling book "Freakanomics" the author quotes surveys that show employers hesitate to hire applicants with very Afro-centric first names.

He also mentions a woman who named her child "Temptress" thinking it was the name of the little girl actress on the "Cosby Show", Tempestt Bledsoe. But the new mother carelessly spelled it wrong, and did not even know the meaning of the word "Temptress. Sadly, the girl grew up to be delinquent and promiscuous.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM

51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
The goofiest name of anyone I personally knew was the grandchild of a former neighbor, a boy named President. Um, bonus points for thinking big, but I don't think so.

Most unfortunate name - even worse than Butts - has to go to one of my HS classmates, a girl with the last name of Horr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane1 View Post
In the best-selling book "Freakanomics" the author quotes surveys that show employers hesitate to hire applicants with very Afro-centric first names.

He also mentions a woman who named her child "Temptress" thinking it was the name of the little girl actress on the "Cosby Show", Tempestt Bledsoe. But the new mother carelessly spelled it wrong, and did not even know the meaning of the word "Temptress. Sadly, the girl grew up to be delinquent and promiscuous.
Hope it wasn't Mrs. Horr who did that!

It's a pretty sad commentary on the level of illiteracy in this country, though. From what I understand, Oprah Winfrey's mother's intent was to give her the bible name "Orpah" but misspelled it.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-07-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 01:32 PM

220 posts, read 490,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane1 View Post

First names like Barack??? Seriously ppl. What century is this?? There's about a gaz-illion other things to do besides ponder and "HATE" on what people CHOOSE to name their children. It's not effecting YOU so why get mad at it

P.S. I went to college with a girl named Tru Love and a guy named Micheal Jackson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or