U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:25 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,010,306 times

Advertisements

Katie you came here asking for advice and are being given it so take it. CALL CPS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 01:25 PM

525 posts, read 1,250,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
YES! DEFINITELY! Report it!

Just the FACT the father is living with a sex offender is reason enough to report this to the authorities.

The father shouldn't be allowing his children to having contact with sex offenders. THAT ALONE is reportable!
Thanks for the helpful advice. I wasn't sure if that was illegal for someone with kids living with a sex offender

Old 12-29-2010, 01:27 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
Sex offenders are not permitted to be ANYWHERE near children. The father lives with the sex offender and the children visit the house (or god forbid live in the house with him!).

This is a no-brainer---call the authorities!

Old 12-29-2010, 01:30 PM

15,308 posts, read 16,867,859 times
Quote:
Sex offenders are not permitted to be ANYWHERE near children. The father lives with the sex offender and the children visit the house (or god forbid live in the house with him!).

This is a no-brainer---call the authorities!
I think that depends on whether the sex offender offended with a child or an adult. Certainly though, it seems logical in this case to call CPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
Thanks for the helpful advice. I wasn't sure if that was illegal for someone with kids living with a sex offender
It's not illegal for the father to live there. It's illegal for the sex offender to have children in his home.

The father is exposing the children to risk if he has the children living with a sex offender or visiting the house where the sex offender lives.

EITHER WAY, the authorities will believe this is worthy of investigation. You are justified in making a report.

They say to report 'suspicion' of abuse. They dont' say to only report if you 'know for sure.'

Just make the call! You have enough for 'suspicion.'

9,056 posts, read 6,732,898 times
Quote:
I don't think she should ask the children!.

They might not even know her very well.

Even if they do know her well, they might not give her a straight answer since they are getting pressure in the family.

The OP should just report it. Period.
Ok, that's fine. I agree she should report it regardless. Although at this point, even if they denied it I don't see the harm in asking them if she is going to go so far as to report it.

Even if they didn't give a straight answer, I reckon you could glean a lot from the response you did get.

However, it's a moot point as she no longer has contact with them.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:31 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,645,332 times
You need to report this to the authorities. You can do so anonymously. You can tell them exactly what you told us, the information you heard, explaining that while you have no first-hand knowledge (the child didn't tell you), you were concerned about what you heard and felt you needed to report it, even if is is hearsay.

They will take it from there. They will investigate and find out if there is merit. If there isn't, then they will just note that a report was made and do nothing with it. Please don't wait any longer. It's really hard for kids to come forward and confess this sort of thing, and they may not be brave enough to do it again.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I think that depends on whether the sex offender offended with a child or an adult. Certainly though, it seems logical in this case to call CPS.
Agreed. It's worthy of investigation given the family history and the rumor the child has made an accusation. Rumor = suspicion in my book.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ok, that's fine. I agree she should report it regardless. Although at this point, even if they denied it I don't see the harm in asking them if she is going to go so far as to report it.
She can retain her anonymity. She can report this without anyone even knowing she is the person who made the report.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:39 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,732,898 times
Quote:
She can retain her anonymity. She can report this without anyone even knowing she is the person who made the report.
Oh I didn't think of that. Wasn't really at the top of my list in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or