U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 04:35 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,356,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, Child Welfare never checked up on us (that I know of). Sadly, my mom has been gone these past 11 years, will be twelve in March.
My mother is gone now too. One of the things that is so sad about loosing your mom (and there are many) is that when things like this come up they're aren't around to ask questions of anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 04:55 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,138,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I'm reading this stuff to my daughter (who just got home from work), and she's lying on the bed roaring with laughter. What were those "idiotic" things you did in the window, she wants to know?
Sorry! I was busy doing housecleaning and dinner. Oh gosh so many too count. I think the one that sticks out of my mind is us doing suck fishes on the window and rolling our tongue around. You know those fishes that cling to the side of the aquariam. That use to get my dad super mad but people laughing in other cars.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:05 PM

12,926 posts, read 19,812,959 times
I am a child of the 60's, one of 7. I remember house calls by our pediatrician. It was easier for him to come to us than for my mother to drag several of us to his office. I distinctly remember him coming by to inoculate us all against something, and having to be dragged out from under my bed. Dr Burke, with a big black bag.

We did have a dishwasher in the 60's, but it wasn't built in. It had to be pushed up to the sink and attached to the water source with a long hose. I think we only used it once a day. I don't remember ever NOT having a washer and dryer, but we did have a clothesline in the yard for towels.

What I am constantly amazed at is how well we coped with a family of 9 and 1.5 bathrooms. Now, we have 5.5 for 5 people. When did that become the norm?

We had 2 tv's. A big black and white in the basement for the kids, and a small color tv that sat right next to my father's lounge chair.

Dinner was almost always at home, we rarely ate out until we were well past pre-school years. I walked home from kindergarten by myself, and it was about 8 blocks away. One day my mother called the police because I didn't return home on time. I had walked with a friend and didn't cross with the crossing guard when I was supposed to. Since I wasn't allowed to cross the street by myself, I was sure I would never be found even though I was literally two blocks from my house.

We went everywhere in our station wagon. As one of the 3 youngest I got to lay flat in the rear 3rd and sleep most of the trips.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:52 PM

51,345 posts, read 50,591,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I am a child of the 60's, one of 7. I remember house calls by our pediatrician. It was easier for him to come to us than for my mother to drag several of us to his office. I distinctly remember him coming by to inoculate us all against something, and having to be dragged out from under my bed. Dr Burke, with a big black bag.

We did have a dishwasher in the 60's, but it wasn't built in. It had to be pushed up to the sink and attached to the water source with a long hose. I think we only used it once a day. I don't remember ever NOT having a washer and dryer, but we did have a clothesline in the yard for towels.

What I am constantly amazed at is how well we coped with a family of 9 and 1.5 bathrooms. Now, we have 5.5 for 5 people. When did that become the norm?

We had 2 tv's. A big black and white in the basement for the kids, and a small color tv that sat right next to my father's lounge chair.

Dinner was almost always at home, we rarely ate out until we were well past pre-school years. I walked home from kindergarten by myself, and it was about 8 blocks away. One day my mother called the police because I didn't return home on time. I had walked with a friend and didn't cross with the crossing guard when I was supposed to. Since I wasn't allowed to cross the street by myself, I was sure I would never be found even though I was literally two blocks from my house.

We went everywhere in our station wagon. As one of the 3 youngest I got to lay flat in the rear 3rd and sleep most of the trips.
Oh NOOOO, the doctor with the house calls and the evil black bag. Are you sure you aren't one of my brothers? I am one of 7 and my doctor's name started with a "B" also.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:19 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,156,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Sorry! I was busy doing housecleaning and dinner. Oh gosh so many too count. I think the one that sticks out of my mind is us doing suck fishes on the window and rolling our tongue around. You know those fishes that cling to the side of the aquariam. That use to get my dad super mad but people laughing in other cars.

OMG, I just spit coffee all over the screen when I read this. I can't wait to show my daughter this post. She was laughing so hard last night at this stuff. On trips, we used to pump our arms up and down to get the truck drivers to blow their air horns. Or my siblings and I used to play this spontaneous insult-each-other game, like point to road kill, "There's Timmy's breakfast", or an ugly looking woman, "There's Bobby's girlfriend"...etc. We were so horrible. We would get so abusive to each other, that my mom would finally yell at us to stop it. We sure didn't need DVD's in the car to keep us entertained!

Old 12-31-2010, 03:26 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,156,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh NOOOO, the doctor with the house calls and the evil black bag. Are you sure you aren't one of my brothers? I am one of 7 and my doctor's name started with a "B" also.

OMG, I remember the doctor coming to our house. She was a lady doctor. I wasn't even sick, she just came to give me a booster shot. I remember lying on the sofa with my pants pulled down and Captain Kangaroo on the TV to distract me. They gave all the shots in the bottom back then.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:34 AM

We also had a family doctor who made house calls. There weren't that many doctors in town so most of the people on our block had the same doctor. When something hit he'd go from house to house. (No, he did not have a horse and buggy but he did smoke a pipe while he thought about your diagnoses.)

My mother hated having to call him for a house call. She always felt the need to clean the house before he arrived.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:41 AM

2,861 posts, read 6,260,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We also had a family doctor who made house calls. There weren't that many doctors in town so most of the people on our block had the same doctor. When something hit he'd go from house to house. (No, he did not have a horse and buggy but he did smoke a pipe while he thought about your diagnoses.)

My mother hated having to call him for a house call. She always felt the need to clean the house before he arrived.
If he was smoking a pipe in your house, it probably had to be cleaned after he left as well!

Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,672,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Shoot, I don't know too many people that don't make me feel like I need to clean my house before they come!

It's funny, you get to the point where it's easy to keep the house clean though.....and BAM! here's grandbaby ...now 2 and the child can tear the house up faster than I can clean it! LOL I'm beginning to think seriously about bringing that play yard into the house. Lord, I'm too old to keep up with that little stinker! LOL

Old 12-31-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
If he was smoking a pipe in your house, it probably had to be cleaned after he left as well!
This was in the late 50's early 60's. Before the Surgeon General woke America up. Pretty much everyone smoked. My dad was the only father I knew who didn't. My mom smoked until the warnings came out and she quit cold turkey as soon as they started saying the word "cancer".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or