U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 AM

51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This was in the late 50's early 60's. Before the Surgeon General woke America up. Pretty much everyone smoked. My dad was the only father I knew who didn't. My mom smoked until the warnings came out and she quit cold turkey as soon as they started saying the word "cancer".
Someone gave me on of those "Vitally Useless Information" fact books for Christmas, since I love that stuff.

Was browsing through it last night, and it said that in the mid-Sixties, 50% of men and 33% of women smoked cigarettes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,732,898 times
Quote:
This was in the late 50's early 60's. Before the Surgeon General woke America up. Pretty much everyone smoked. My dad was the only father I knew who didn't. My mom smoked until the warnings came out and she quit cold turkey as soon as they started saying the word "cancer".
My grandma and my great auntie Hilba used to watch Bewitched and Gilligan's Island with me after school while sucking on butt loads of ciggies and drinking black tea. Auntie Hilba would take a pin and poke tiny holes all around the filter in order to make them less strong, and I'd have the tea that ended up in the saucer after she'd finished the cup.

So basically I sat there all afternoon inhaling second hand smoke and getting jacked up on caffeine. Didn't seem to have any long term negative affect on me that I can see. (Although some people here might beg to differ).

Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Someone gave me on of those "Vitally Useless Information" fact books for Christmas, since I love that stuff.

Was browsing through it last night, and it said that in the mid-Sixties, 50% of men and 33% of women smoked cigarettes.
Doctors actually told people to smoke to relieve stress. They also thought it helped ease the symptoms of things like arthritis. Plus there was the whole "coolness" factor.

I'd say among the parents of my fiends the numbers were higher than what you quoted. (Historical note: The one and only time I ever saw my dad smoke was on the night President Kennedy was killed. All the adults also drank a lot that day to help ease the shock.)

Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Doctors actually told people to smoke to relieve stress. They also thought it helped ease the symptoms of things like arthritis. Plus there was the whole "coolness" factor.

I'd say among the parents of my fiends the numbers were higher than what you quoted. (Historical note: The one and only time I ever saw my dad smoke was on the night President Kennedy was killed. All the adults also drank a lot that day to help ease the shock.)
Interesting about the President Kennedy story!

Neither of my parents ever smoked and they rarely drank anything, either, and neither did most of their friends, but they belonged to a church that frowned on such things so that's probably why.

I like to buy old magazines at garage and estate sales. They are full of pro-smoking advertisements.

By the way, this was also in the book--January 2, 1971--40 years ago--was the day cigarette advertising on TV was banned. They were going to make it January 1 but conceded to the cigarette advertisers who got one last bang out of advertising during football games on New Year's Day.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:42 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times
Quote:
Interesting about the President Kennedy story!

Neither of my parents ever smoked and they rarely drank anything, either, and neither did most of their friends, but they belonged to a church that frowned on such things so that's probably why.

I like to buy old magazines at garage and estate sales. They are full of pro-smoking advertisements.

By the way, this was also in the book--January 2, 1971--40 years ago--was the day cigarette advertising on TV was banned. They were going to make it January 1 but conceded to the cigarette advertisers who got one last bang out of advertising during football games on New Year's Day.
Kind of like the pharmaceutical companies do today. Today parents think all the OTC medications are good and healthy or at least harmless and prescription drugs, even very dangerous ones are advertised on television today.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:19 AM

2,864 posts, read 6,262,790 times
Quote:

See this gets back to my sister's theory about why our mom didn't hold us much in all those old movies. Though we interpret it as uncaring, she was actually doing us a favor by not holding the baby in one arm and the cigarette in the other!

We've come a long way, baby!

Old 12-31-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Kind of like the pharmaceutical companies do today. Today parents think all the OTC medications are good and healthy or at least harmless and prescription drugs, even very dangerous ones are advertised on television today.
You'd think they'd get a clue from the long speed-read list of possible side effects at the end of the commercial.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:44 PM

12,931 posts, read 19,824,518 times
My father smoked (and lived till the age of 85), but my mother never did, EXCEPT late at night, in bed. I never connected the dots as a kid...but they did have 7 children.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:51 PM

21,145 posts, read 22,139,461 times
I was born in the early 60's....I remember my parents having a baby carriage/buggy...Of course I don't remember being in it (although my mom says my dad and another neighbor husband used to have races with the buggies containing their infant daughters) but I remember using it as a doll carriage years later - same with the stroller. I also am told I had one of those "walkers" with the wheels. Apparently nothing could make my German great grandfather laugh quite like watching a baby in a walker. The stint with the walker ended when, at some point I made my way out of the front door of the apartment and down some granite steps....I do remember my little sister being in a "car bed" though. She also was on a "leash" once or twice - at an age she did not want to be carried and we were traveling through train stations in foreign countries. We seem to have survived all right.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:06 PM

3,647 posts, read 9,319,537 times
Quote:

I won a debate in high school (pro vs anti smoking). I quoted several periodicals and medical studies. (I was assigned "pro") My opponents thought it was going to be an easy win and never bothered to question the dates on my articles (all prior to 1935).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or