U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:02 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times

Advertisements

No car seats. Leashes. Bouncing around in the back seats like bowling ball pins.

How long do y'all think it will be before someone comes on here and rants about how irresponsible our parents were?

(To those posters: You are not going to want to hear about how my dad taught us to jump off the roof into the neighbor's pool.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 06:08 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No car seats. Leashes. Bouncing around in the back seats like bowling ball pins.

How long do y'all think it will be before someone comes on here and rants about how irresponsible our parents were?
It's a miracle we're alive!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:12 PM

852 posts, read 1,135,419 times
My mother didn't believe in play pens. She was convinced that spending so much time in one caused my older cousin to be developmentally delayed, so she never used one with us. (Before anyone attacks me, I'm not saying I agree with this conclusion). I don't remember a stroller, but I remember being pulled in wagon. However, I have many photos of my mother and grandmother holding me.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's a miracle we're alive!
My dad also had this sports car that had no rear seat. We used to sit up on the back of it like beauty queens in a parade to go get ice cream.

Ice cream was 5 cents a scoop to tell you how long ago that was. Nobody said "boo". Half the kids in town wanted to sit up there and roar around. I LOVED that car.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,651,862 times
Oh my gosh...did y'all ever pile into the back of the pickup and go to the beach? When I think about how many we could fit into the back of my dad's truck when family came to visit us at the beach...holy cow! There were no laws against it....heck he could fit 20 of us in the back of that pickup. We'd all go clam digging, then come home and clean them all. We kids had KNIVES! and knew how to use them! LOL

Old 12-29-2010, 06:20 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh my gosh...did y'all ever pile into the back of the pickup and go to the beach? When I think about how many we could fit into the back of my dad's truck when family came to visit us at the beach...holy cow! There were no laws against it....heck he could fit 20 of us in the back of that pickup.
OMG! MEMORIES!

My girlfriend's parents picked us up from summer horse camp in the mountains.

We rode the entire way home (5 hours) in the back of a pickup truck on a highway! I was wind burned like I had riden on a motorcycle!

Interestingly, there arent laws against riding in the back of a pickup truck in our state. But for some reason, people rarely do it.

(On a side note, why don't people's dogs jump out of the back of their trucks. My dogs are practically climbing out of the windows when I take them for a ride in the car.)

Old 12-29-2010, 06:25 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,671,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdropinn View Post
my dad also had this sports car that had no rear seat. We used to sit up on the back of it like beauty queens in a parade to go get ice cream.

Ice cream was 5 cents a scoop to tell you how long ago that was. Nobody said "boo". Half the kids in town wanted to sit up there and roar around. i loved that car.

1932?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh my gosh...did y'all ever pile into the back of the pickup and go to the beach? When I think about how many we could fit into the back of my dad's truck when family came to visit us at the beach...holy cow! There were no laws against it....heck he could fit 20 of us in the back of that pickup. We'd all go clam digging, then come home and clean them all. We kids had KNIVES! and knew how to use them! LOL
We didn't go clam digging in So Cal. We went grunion running. Wait for a full moon when the grunion were laying their eggs in the sand and dig them out with our hands. (State law. You couldn't use a tool.)

Nobody ever ate the silly things. They were too full of tar from the oil in the sand. But my parents' roses were the pride of the neighborhood.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:38 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,135,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

(To those posters: You are not going to want to hear about how my dad taught us to jump off the roof into the neighbor's pool.)
Love it! Those were the days! I didn't grow up in the 60's cause I am a late 70's early 80's baby but I remember my mom using a play pen and my siblings were in it until about the age of 2. The car seat thing, I remember my family and I always looked like either the clowns in the back of a clown car and then we upgraded to a van so we rocked it like we were the Huxtables. We were never ever strapped in and we were always doing something idiotic in the window. I don't know how we never got stopped by the cops.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 PM

852 posts, read 1,135,419 times
We used to pile so many kids in the back of the car that some of them had to sit on the floor and on the "hump."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or