U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM

6,124 posts, read 5,158,501 times

Advertisements

Does anybody remember those local network "cartoon" shows in the afternoons? Our folks never treated tv like a babysitter in those days - we were always playing outside, but at 4:00 p.m. every afternoon, "Popeye Theater" with "Sally Starr" came on. Somebody's mom would come outside and yell, "It's FOUR O'CLOCK!!!" and we'd run inside to whomever's house was closest. I think it was the only hour or two of tv we watched every day. (Sally Starr was this sexy cowgirl who hosted a kid's show in the Philly area. She showed Popeye cartoons, Clutch Cargo, and, of course THE THREE STOOGES. All us little girls wanted to be her). Thanks for this awesome trip down memory lane - those memories are just flooding back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,676,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think my husband's parents only installed an inside toilet when he was around 10 years old. They had a party-line telephone until the early 80s!

I loved the wayback! It was like I had my own little world!

That's interesting information! It makes perfect sense! We were recycling war parts!

My husband's family was impoverished and lived in a semi-rural area. Huge family---lots of brothers and sisters. They'd take a pickup truck to a nearby farm and the entire family (even the little todders) would spend the day in the field picking their own crops and filling the entire back of the pickup truck with whatever was ready for harvest at the moment. It took the entire family working in the kitchen for over a week to can everything. And they'd do it all over again when the next vegetable was ready to harvest. Apparently, it was cheaper to pick-your-own at the farm. They didn't have their own farm. Their yard was rather small, but they still managed to have their own chickens and turkeys.
I think that we weren't impoverished because we lived like this. We always had huge gardens and some of our own fruit trees, but we used to do almost the same thing as your husband's family. The family would head over to Eastern WA and pick whatever we didn't grow, in various stages of ripeness and process it accordingly. You had certain foods which perished much more quickly and you'd start with those. We had an entire room devoted to food storage. The shelves and flooring in that room were built to withstand the phenomenal amount of weight those hundreds of jars of food. Honestly, until I was grown and lived on my own, I'd never tasted hardly anything that was storebought, with the exception of oatmeal, cereals, soda pop, ice cream, etc. We simply made and canned or froze everything. We grew/hunted/fished for our own meat, had the chickens, raised turkeys, had a milk cow. We made our own jams, jellies, butters, chilis, salsas, catsup, tomato products, fruits, vegetables, relishes. I mean, we had our OWN store, in our own house. LOL My parents rarely had to buy groceries, because our freezers and pantry were always stocked. For many,many years, I carried on that same tradition with my own family. These days though, there are many things that are much more affordable when you buy them on sale. It's not as inexpensive to can your own foods. I still can many things......but not like I used to!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:12 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I think posters are just using this thread for nostalgia, regardless of the time they are remembering . . .there were much different sensibilities in each decade: the fifties, the sixties, the seventies, the eighties . . .all different . . . some things were the same in some decades (like kids rolling around in the back seat without seatbelts before seatbelts were mandatory) . . .

I have definitely noticed that now people carry their babies around without devices. It seems so striking to me that a person will actually hold a baby outside of a container.
Actually plastic devices to contain children weren't nearly as prevelant in the 60's as they are today. I think you're remembering the wrong years. Plastic wasn't nearly as prevalent back then.

I bet if you were to find some old store catalogs you wouldn't find plastic walkers, car seats, swings, and baby holders - just some cribs, playpens and strollers.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I have definitely noticed that now people carry their babies around without devices. It seems so striking to me that a person will actually hold a baby outside of a container.
Maybe it was a regional thing. People carried their babies where I grew up. If containers existed, nobody was using them in our region. Today, everyone seems to have containers. At the mall, the kids are in strollers or the carry seats. As I already shared, my sister has all sorts of contraptions she moves her child between all day. My son's friend always brings the car seat into the house when they visit. Their baby sits in the car seat ALL THE TIME. That just wasn't the way it was when I was growing up. My mother didn't use containers. I didn't raise my kids with containers either. My children were always on my hip. Heck, I owened a stroller because someone gave it to me as a baby shower gift. But I never used it! Not once! LOL

Old 12-30-2010, 12:23 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Does anybody remember those local network "cartoon" shows in the afternoons? Our folks never treated tv like a babysitter in those days - we were always playing outside, but at 4:00 p.m. every afternoon, "Popeye Theater" with "Sally Starr" came on. Somebody's mom would come outside and yell, "It's FOUR O'CLOCK!!!" and we'd run inside to whomever's house was closest. I think it was the only hour or two of tv we watched every day.
Yes!!

If there is anyone here who grew up watching "Engineer Bill", "Sheriff John" or "Popeye the Sailor Man hosted by Tom Hatten" you are now feeling so warm and loved and overcome by happy memories you are heading for the fridge to grab a big glass of milk to play "Red Light, Green Light".

Those men were GODS in TV in Los Angeles in the 50's and 60's. GODS!!

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-30-2010 at 12:33 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 12:32 PM

28,002 posts, read 19,677,561 times
Quote:
Does anybody remember those local network "cartoon" shows in the afternoons? Our folks never treated tv like a babysitter in those days - we were always playing outside, but at 4:00 p.m. every afternoon, "Popeye Theater" with "Sally Starr" came on. Somebody's mom would come outside and yell, "It's FOUR O'CLOCK!!!" and we'd run inside to whomever's house was closest. I think it was the only hour or two of tv we watched every day. (Sally Starr was this sexy cowgirl who hosted a kid's show in the Philly area. She showed Popeye cartoons, Clutch Cargo, and, of course THE THREE STOOGES. All us little girls wanted to be her). Thanks for this awesome trip down memory lane - those memories are just flooding back!

I was born in the late 70s. We watched Hatchy Milatchy which was broadcast locally from WNEP-TV.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
I've never heard of those childrens shows. They must be before my time.

I remember Mr. Rogers, Seseme Street, Captain Kangaroo and later the Electric Company and Zoom when I was older.

But I remember most shows like Bewitched, Leave It To Beaver, Gomer Pyle, Lassie, Gilligan's Island, etc.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:56 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,640,138 times
My stepfather was 1 of 6 children. My Grandmother told me she used to tie him to the tree in the backyard so he wouldn't run away and she can get her housework done. He didn't seem to be phased by it either. You'd be arrested for child abuse if you did something like that today.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:03 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,990,096 times
Quote:
I think, regardless, we were all healthier than kids are today. I agree it must have been those mudpies and community drinks from the garden hose! (Are kids even ALLOWED to get dirty anymore?)
We did this in the 80's and 90's, too.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:16 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
My stepfather was 1 of 6 children. My Grandmother told me she used to tie him to the tree in the backyard so he wouldn't run away and she can get her housework done. He didn't seem to be phased by it either. You'd be arrested for child abuse if you did something like that today.
That was very common. I don't know how many stories I've heard of mothers "back then" tying their children to the legs of the kitchen table with a cloth diaper or dish cloth. I told this to someone just a few days ago and she gave me the "I don't believe you for a second" look. But 'tis true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or