Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times

Advertisements

I am a baby of the 1960s and my mother recently put all of our old home movies on a DVD. I had not seen most of them in many, many years. As I was watching them recently with my children, it struck me as odd how parents rarely seemed to hold or carry their babies. It seemed like the babies (me, my sisters, cousins....) were always strapped into some sort of a seating device like a stroller, busy seat, high chair... or maybe "loose", but in a play pen. I seldom saw a mom or dad just holding their baby and certainly didn't see anyone with their baby strapped to their body.

Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 05:17 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
I honestly don't remember ever being in a stroller and my parents had no pictures of me ever being strapped into anything. I had older sisters and do remember being carried around or piggy backed sometimes, but I honestly have no memory of my mother holding me....or pictures either. With so many siblings who were much older than I was, the younger children were rarely taken anywhere, we stayed at home with the older siblings.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I'm a bit confused by the OP's post as well. My parents didn't own a stroller. If there were car seats back then, my parents didn't own one (and they weren't poor). They didn't have busy chairs or bouncy chairs either. There was a high chair, but only for eating. Heck, my mother didn't even use a play pen. I didn't either. I had one, but I stored toys in it. And I have lots of old pictures of being held by my grandparents and parents.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:34 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm a bit confused by the OP's post as well. My parents didn't own a stroller. If there were car seats back then, my parents didn't own one (and they weren't poor). They didn't have busy chairs or bouncy chairs either. There was a high chair, but only for eating. Heck, my mother didn't even use a play pen. I didn't either. I had one, but I stored toys in it. And I have lots of old pictures of being held by my grandparents and parents.
Car seats!? LOL....Car seats? Holy cow, the few trips I remember taking in cars, there were at least 5 of us in the back seat. If there were car seats, my parents certainly didn't own any. Besides, there wasn't enough room in the car for kids AND carseats ! LOL

Old 12-29-2010, 05:36 PM

And the reason we rarely saw someone with a baby strapped onto them was because on-the-body baby carriers were only introduced to the United States in the 1960s.

Baby transport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was a new-fangled gadget. LOL

Old 12-29-2010, 05:37 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times
I've seen pictures of my parents holding me, but there is also a picture or two of me in a "harness" that I wore when I was a toddler and we were in a big city or a big park. I was a runner so it was for my safety

Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
maybe it was just OP's family as I remember 60 parents and older all over their kids, seems like even more so then today with all the strollers, bouncey chairs and such. None of that stuff was available way back then.

Now that doesn't mean parenting styles haven't changed. Remember 60's parents were raised by 40-50's parents and to them children were to be seen and not heard. Seems to me all this change in parenting style started in the 60's with definitely new generational way of thinking about kids. Seems like that is when the emphasis on "self esteem" started with alot more permissiveness going on.

Also you have to take into account the differences in photographic equipment over all these decades. It was not so easy to take pictures of wiggly kids as it is now. Everybody had to be kinda still so focus would be just right. And it cost a fortune to get photos developed back then and it was rather a big deal to get a pack of film back from the processor. No one hour stuff then either and certainly no pocket cameras like now.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I was a pre-60's baby but I think the 60's were when all those things became popular. Not even sure they had things like the walkers and busy seats when I was a baby. At least not priced so the masses could afford them. I had a baby swing but only because a childless relative bought it. It played music. I did have a car seat that hooked over the front seat. (Which were all bench style then.) I suspect the same relative bought it. Totally unsafe. No belts, just a pouch I was popped into. I remember it well as it had a steering wheel and a horn I could beep. I loved it. Probably accounts for my predilection to honk at people now.

My parents never had a stroller for me. My brother recalls me being carried everywhere. I have a lot of memories of my dad carrying me up on his shoulders. Today some busybody would probably tap him on the shoulder and reprimand him for placing his three year old in danger.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Car seats!? LOL....Car seats? Holy cow, the few trips I remember taking in cars, there were at least 5 of us in the back seat. If there were car seats, my parents certainly didn't own any. Besides, there wasn't enough room in the car for kids AND carseats ! LOL
I know! I know! We had to sit on top of each other!

In our station wagon, I road in the seat that faced backwards!

In our Volkswagon, I sat in the little storage area that was in the back window ledge. We called it the "way back."

Mothers would hold babies in their arms for car rides or lay blankets in the foot well, making a little bassinet on the floor of the car for infants.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I've seen pictures of my parents holding me, but there is also a picture or two of me in a "harness" that I wore when I was a toddler and we were in a big city or a big park. I was a runner so it was for my safety
We lived in Holland for part of the 60s. "Leashes" were popular in Europe. My mother brought one back when we moved to the states, and everyone looked at her like she was crazy for having me on a leash. My mom said that it was healthier because having a children hold their arms in the air to hold their parent's hands for hours was tiring for the children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have a lot of memories of my dad carrying me up on his shoulders. Today some busybody would probably tap him on the shoulder and reprimand him for placing his three year old in danger.
You're bringing back memories. My father always had one of us on his shoulders. We have lots of pictures of it too. I don't think people would reprimand him. My husband carried our son on his shoulders and nobody ever said a word or made a funnly look. But now that I think about it, he was the only person doing it at the zoo---a place packed with fathers with children!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting