Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:52 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,257 times

Advertisements

My ex husband died last summer- his mother told me that he had a heart attack- he had addiction problems with pills etc and I just assumed the heart attack was caused by all the different pills that he took- My kids ( 15 and 18 now) were not with him ever in the last few years b/c it wasn't a safe environment. anyway- I had to go and get a death certificate today so my son could renew his passport- and the cause of death says Suicide- polypharmacy with metaxolone poisoning

1- do I mention this to their grandmother that I know
2 Do I tell my kids the truth?

I know that she was trying to hide it from them but I feel like they should know the truth- she is a VERY emotional person- has lost her son and 2 husbands to cancer -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 03:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I would offer that some things are better told when your children are adults. And, by that, I mean mature adults.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:43 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
It's not your place to tell grandma. Your kids, what cpg35223 said.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:08 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
What benefit would your children get from knowing their father killed himself? Does his cause of death ever come up in conversation?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
Gramma already knows... she was trying to keep it from his kids. My opinion: being a teen is emotional and difficult enough at times... finding out your Dad committed suicide would be severely emotionally damaging. Do they really need to know how their father died? I am guessing they already knew he had some drug problems... so why add to the burden by telling them the hard facts. What would it accomplish?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:30 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Many times a newspaper will state the death of a person as being "Natural Causes".

What constitutes that term?. You could name just about any major internal body part as being the cause. Tis not important for people to know the exact cause of a persons death other then a organ failure. In some cases an Autopsy is inconclusive.

An overdose may be a contributing factor depending upon the amount in a persons system thus "Suicide" has to be Legally shown.

My condolences to all parties concerned.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:47 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,732 times
I'm for the truth, but considering one of your sons is 15 I would soften the truth with a euphamism am simply tell both his death was the result of an overdose. I question whether the authorities have unquestionable information to show it was, in fact, a suicide.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:59 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
I wouldn't say anything for the time being, although perhaps when they are a bit older I would share it. You can't tell the older boy without him telling the younger one, and I think this would be rough news to get at 15. I'm not sure what benefit you would gain from telling them now. I think when they're a few years older, they'll have more perspective to understand why you didn't disclose the full truth immediately.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM

17 posts, read 25,582 times
I agree. Unless it's brought up in conversation... I don't think it's completely necessary to mention it until your children are all grown up and matured.

Having worked in a funeral home for a year, you need to keep in mind that in the eventuality that they'll need his death certificate themselves -- as you mentioned -- it is already listed there. In a few years I would consider talking to them in a comfortable safe environment.

I've dealt with a lot of suicide and a lot of grieving families. I do apologize for your loss, but always know it was never your fault. Some people are incapable of understanding the help they need to receive and others just refuse. There was no possible way to have foreseen his suicide attempt and unfortunate result.

Reiterate that their father loved them and he simply felt that his situations (whatever they were) were unfixable. That they should never feel helpless and that they will always have an outlet in you and their family and friends and to seek help if and when it is ever needed.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I would not tell the children their father committed suicide. No way.

Definitely while they are teens. Teens have too much to deal with. It could really mess them up.

If you must, wait until they are adults---well into adulthood when their lives are becoming established and stable, like late 20s, early 30s.

But I don't think I would even tell them as adults unless they needed to know for their own mental health issues.

Otherwise, no good comes from telling them. IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting