U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:25 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,261,839 times

Advertisements

Our daughter swims year round, gets good grades, and is very responsible.

We'll be getting her a car when she's ready. I plan on spending a great deal of time preparing her to drive and until I'm confident she can handle it she won't go solo. I don't anticipate any problems.

When the time comes I'll let her choose a used vehicle in my price range, the vehicle will be in my name but she'll have access to it. Any issues arise and the access will be removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 03:31 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,552,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Ooooh, I LOVE the chores idea. I didn't want to just hand the car over to her (and obviously she doesn't have time to get an actual job), so I think that's the perfect solution. Thanks much! And thank you everyone else for your great advice!

What I plan to do is buy a used car (I found a Subaru Forester on Craigslist that I'm hoping to check out this weekend) and tell her that it's MY car and using it is a priviledge, not a right. If she continues to do well in school and doesn't get into any trouble whatsoever, I'll have no problem with allowing her to use the car.
Hey straw, already told you my opinion on this over on automotive (don't know what got stuck in some of those guy's crawls), anyway, I think you are making a good decision and one I would make myself. Sounds like a good kid and there are ways to make her invested in the car, without making her invest in it.

My parents gave me my first car and it wasn't a cheap car. The deal was if I got scholarships to college than I would get a car. I got the scholarships, my parents got me the car. Even though I didn't pay anything for it I did realize the sacrifice my parents made to buy it. Look at it as rewarding positive behavior and actions on her part. Consequently, the car goes away if that changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting